Husker Baseball Moving Forward

We lost nine games by one run. We didn't have effective small ball or big ball. The bunting ability of some of the guys was comical. I questioned the order of the lineup and its ability to produce runs, but what's new. Someone already said in another thread that we should go with the best bats at all times and not worry so much about left and right hand matchups. The main improvement would seem to be a few guys who can make a difference with one swing, like always....then the others who can't hit it farther than the track should just work on getting on and moving around the bases. The guys should keep their head up.....it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. A bunch of young guys could make significant improvement next year knowing that it's all up to them.

We lost nine games by one run. We didn't have effective small ball or big ball. The bunting ability of some of the guys was comical. I questioned the order of the lineup and its ability to produce runs, but what's new. Someone already said in another thread that we should go with the best bats at all times and not worry so much about left and right hand matchups. The main improvement would seem to be a few guys who can make a difference with one swing, like always....then the others who can't hit it farther than the track should just work on getting on and moving around the bases. The guys should keep their head up.....it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. A bunch of young guys could make significant improvement next year knowing that it's all up to them.

You got some good points, so what is your batting order? Who gets that clean up spot? And, what is the offensive philosophy that should be employed with our line up next year?

Did the assistant coaching change have that much of an impact on the bats? Or can you chalk it up to just an off year?

We were less than 1 hit per game worse this year than last year, but as said, the main factor was that clutch hit. Plazceks wrist injury affected him, lowering his BA 60 points. Actually, only Boldt raised his average from year to year. Darby dropped 20 points, Headley 50+, and Miller 40. The leaders and heart of the lineup really struggled at the plate.

There's promise with the youth on the team, they just need to step up when presented an opportunity.

I think it's both, to be honest. With smallball, you live and die by that sword--in this case, we didn't get the clutch hits and had problems with directional hitting all season long, IMO.

And as has been pointed out already, I'm painting with a broad brush, as we did have some kids step up and improve over last year. But as much as I like Erstad and I'm willing to give him time, I hope his hitting reevaluation in the offseason includes getting more power and doing what is necessary to keep Silva on board.

And yes, I'm really worried about losing Silva to another school. He's got the smarts to head up a program, and he's helped recruit and develop some phenomenal arms. There are few out there that would be an adequate replacement, IMO should he leave.

You got some good points, so what is your batting order? Who gets that clean up spot? And, what is the offensive philosophy that should be employed with our line up next year?

I think most of us who follow Husker baseball have seen the comparison over on Max of this team to the World Series team with Gordon where Gordon hit more homers himself that year than the entire team this year. The other stats weren't pretty either. With that said I think it's obvious we need a true power hitter, maybe two, for the 3 and 4 spots.....I'm thinking Joe DiMaggio and Willie Mays for those spots. Other than that I think you have to look at the on base % of the players against good pitchers. Throw out the cupcake games because anybody can put up big stats in those. Then you bunch up those guys in hopes of getting more consistent run production and put the must-have fielders in the 'hope-they-get-a-hit' section.

Like I said before though, we've got some young guys who look pretty good and basically have been playing like part-timers. You can't just go by past stats because the young guys might have a completely different approach if they knew the game was on their shoulders. The coach has to judge the players according to his experience, that's why he's there.

What should the lineup be? I've only seen a few games this year and really couldn't tell you who is the best against the best.

I'll take a crack at next years lineup: (no incoming freshmen included)

1. Boldt CF

2. Schleppenbach 2B

3. Alvarado 3B

4. Miller DH

5. Schreiber 1B

6. Dilday RF

7. Fish C

8. Myers LF

9. Reveles SS

pitching rotation:

1- Burkamper

2 - King

3 - not sure

Decent guess but I'd suspect Dilday and Meyers would swap outfield postions with Dilday in left.

And I know you didn't include any incoming jucos or freshmen, but IF we don't pick up some offense via that route, I don't see much improvement from this year.....

1. Boldt CF

2. Schleppenbach 2B

3. Alvarado 3B

4. Miller DH

5. Schreiber 1B

6. Dilday RF

7. Fish C

8. Myers LF

9. Reveles SS

pitching rotation:

1- Burkamper

2 - King

3 - not sure

Decent guess but I'd suspect Dilday and Meyers would swap outfield postions with Dilday in left.

And I know you didn't include any incoming jucos or freshmen, but IF we don't pick up some offense via that route, I don't see much improvement from this year.....

Agreed. That lineup is not something anyone will be even the least bit afraid of unless they all improve enormously over the off season.

1. Boldt CF

2. Schleppenbach 2B

3. Alvarado 3B

4. Miller DH

5. Schreiber 1B

6. Dilday RF

7. Fish C

8. Myers LF

9. Reveles SS

pitching rotation:

1- Burkamper

2 - King

3 - not sure

Agreed. That lineup is not something anyone will be even the least bit afraid of unless they all improve enormously over the off season.

Yes, but thing you need look at is that in this list is 5 Fr., 4 So. & JR who the ball well when he played & Sr. who was batting well before he was hurt. Alvardo & Schreiber looked good at the end of the yr. Plus our other 2 starters (Knutson & Hohnensee) looked good times and they are So. I like what we have coming up and this does not count incoming players.

Early in the season, we had Jake Schlep. first in the batting order. With it being Boldt's last year (before he leaves for the draft), I think we try to get him down to the third spot.

An MLB pre-draft list had Colton Howell in the Top 100 (I'm guessing if he gets drafted in the first 10-15 rounds, he'll go). Chestnut would be the only other possible Junior in my opinion.

If I was picking today, I think it will be Max Knutson as the third weekend pitcher.

Early in the season, we had Jake Schlep. first in the batting order. With it being Boldt's last year (before he leaves for the draft), I think we try to get him down to the third spot.

An MLB pre-draft list had Colton Howell in the Top 100 (I'm guessing if he gets drafted in the first 10-15 rounds, he'll go). Chestnut would be the only other possible Junior in my opinion.

If I was picking today, I think it will be Max Knutson as the third weekend pitcher.

Burkamper I think still starts, possible for King as well. Unless others emerge.