QB Recruiting, Development, and Play Under Bo/Beck vs Riley/Langsdorf

Oh good lord, Martinez had to go else where to get his passing mechanics better. That's not a product of Beck.

This is the biggest red herring argument available. This is no indictment, and this is no rare thing. This is the regular landscape of D1 quarterbacking.

Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel, Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, and tons of others have all gotten private coaching in their offseasons.

Or you can hire one onto your staff that has worked with NFL QB's.

You're right LOMS, a lot of guys have gone elsewhere to get QB coaching. A lot of guys haven't, as well.

I like what we've done in hiring a guy like Langsdorf. Tommy still goes elsewhere to workout with Brett Favre I believe? It's still a great tool to have a real QB coach on hand throughout the season.

You can't substitute the teaching you'll get when your QB coach is right there in the moment day to day and during the game.

Is Langsdorf a skybox or sideline guy?

I'll argue both sides.

I have said ever since Callahan was hired, if we are going to require a really good passing QB to be in our offense, then we need a full time good QB coach on staff. We had a really good QB coach before that in Gill for the type of QB we wanted.

Saying that, just because a QB goes and gets more coaching in the off season, doesn't mean his normal coach sucks. A position like QB requires a huge amount of development and anytime one can get with another good coach, they need to do it. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if our QBs keep doing that even though we have Langsdorf on staff. He might even be the one finding the coach for them.

Each coach might see something a little different that can help.

Oh good lord, Martinez had to go else where to get his passing mechanics better. That's not a product of Beck.

This is the biggest red herring argument available. This is no indictment, and this is no rare thing. This is the regular landscape of D1 quarterbacking.

Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel, Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, and tons of others have all gotten private coaching in their offseasons.

You're right LOMS, a lot of guys have gone elsewhere to get QB coaching. A lot of guys haven't, as well.

I like what we've done in hiring a guy like Langsdorf. Tommy still goes elsewhere to workout with Brett Favre I believe? It's still a great tool to have a real QB coach on hand throughout the season.

You can't substitute the teaching you'll get when your QB coach is right there in the moment day to day and during the game.

I'll argue both sides.

I have said ever since Callahan was hired, if we are going to require a really good passing QB to be in our offense, then we need a full time good QB coach on staff. We had a really good QB coach before that in Gill for the type of QB we wanted.

Saying that, just because a QB goes and gets more coaching in the off season, doesn't mean his normal coach sucks. A position like QB requires a huge amount of development and anytime one can get with another good coach, they need to do it. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if our QBs keep doing that even though we have Langsdorf on staff. He might even be the one finding the coach for them.

Is college training like the pros where the coaches can't have contact regarding training and workouts during certain times of the year? This might explain why these QB's trained with private coaches during the off season.

I'll argue both sides.

Is college training like the pros where the coaches can't have contact regarding training and workouts during certain times of the year? This might explain why these QB's trained with private coaches during the off season.

Definitely. The coaches have very limited time with the players over the summer. That's why it makes sense during that time to go seek out one of these other coaches.

Taylor Martinez's biggest problem was the injuries from his freshman year. He never had great mechanics, but after the injuries he developed really poor throwing mechanics. The throwing coach helped a lot during the summer.

TA problems are almost 90% mental. Reading the right coverages and picking out the right receiver. Making the right decision is what he needs to get better at and putting a little touch on the short passes. Which is also mostly a mental thing.

I will be honest I have never heard the phrase "red herring argument" so I don't know what that means...either way, just because other have done it, doesn't mean it didn't factor into Martinez' development. Good grief dude you always have some smart ass comment to make to me and I'm sick of it. Seriously.

I don't know if you think your some sort of stud and that you think you are better than me or what, but Ive grown tired with the way you word things, coming off as some football god or something.

Go take some more selfies and sing more taylor swift covers.

My post was pretty straight to the point and entirely directed towards your post. I didn't even know it came from you until you just quoted me (I rarely pay too much attention to who is posting what, I just read the content). A red herring is essentially a straw man - an argument that is misleading. As I understand your argument (let me know if I'm wrong), you're saying that because Taylor needed to get private offseason help, that's a negative against Beck and indicates that he was bad at quarterback development. All I'm saying is that if Beck is/was bad at QB development, Taylor's offseason help isn't evidence for it, because plenty of great quarterbacks under great coaching staffs do the same thing.

Also I've never covered Taylor Swift???? B U T T T T T T we were born the same year and have a mutual friend!

Taylor Martinez's biggest problem was the injuries from his freshman year. He never had great mechanics, but after the injuries he developed really poor throwing mechanics. The throwing coach helped a lot during the summer.

And the only thing that Calhoun coached Taylor on was physical fundamentals. All of Taylor's progression mentally as a quarterback, learning how to go to checkdowns, less Favre-esque freakouts and better reads and game managing, were all credit to his development/coaching within the program.

• Fire 1

He said in an interview that he hasn't decided yet.

You have a preference? I prefer sideline guy myself. Takes the "chess match " factor out of it and reminds the OC that there are actual physical match- ups and in game adjustments that can be made on the spot.

Skybox allows him to see the whole play better but yeah I think I would prefer a sideline guy.

He said in an interview that he hasn't decided yet.

Do you have a preference? I prefer sideline guy myself. Takes the "chess match " factor out of it and reminds the OC that there are actual physical match- ups and in game adjustments that can be made on the spot.
Skybox allows him to see the whole play better but yeah I think I would prefer a sideline guy.
Yea, me too.

The chess match is only part of the game but I think understanding personnel, making adjustments, and exploiting mismatches is a lot easier to do if you don't view players simply as Pons on a board.

I honestly don't thinks it makes much of a difference if an OC is in the box or on the sideline.

Tom Osborne won the chess match against most coaches he went up against from the sideline.

I like the sideline. You can immediately talk to the players and get a feel for where they are. Kind of like watching the ocean from the shore. You can't feel the power or the ebb and flow unless your in it.

• Fire 1

I honestly don't thinks it makes much of a difference if an OC is in the box or on the sideline.

Tom Osborne won the chess match against most coaches he went up against from the sideline.

Yea the chess match.

Option left, option right or right down your throat.

(sarcasm)

I like the sideline. You can immediately talk to the players and get a feel for where they are. Kind of like watching the ocean from the shore. You can't feel the power or the bb and flow unless your in it.

Beautiful analogy. That's better than I could've said it.

I like the sideline. You can immediately talk to the players and get a feel for where they are. Kind of like watching the ocean from the shore. You can't feel the power or the bb and flow unless your in it.

Beautiful analogy. That's better than I could've said it.

Thanks