QB Recruiting, Development, and Play Under Bo/Beck vs Riley/Langsdorf

Beck is a gimmicky play kind of guy. I remember while Urban was in the booth he was gushing about that what...triple/quad option we ran in the redzone for a TD (it was a freakin awesome play). Beck is absolutely not at OSU to coach mechanics or develop QBs. He's there to implement plays and teach his QBs how to run them. Take the talent and discipline Urban has there, and Beck will find a nut.

• Fire 2

Beck is a gimmicky play kind of guy. I remember while Urban was in the booth he was gushing about that what...triple/quad option we ran in the redzone for a TD (it was a freakin awesome play). Beck is absolutely not at OSU to coach mechanics or develop QBs. He's there to implement plays and teach his QBs how to run them. Take the talent and discipline Urban has there, and Beck will find a nut.

Like I said, he's creative its probably his best attribute. Asking him to coordinate a game plan, recruit and playcall wasn't something he was built for at NU. He really wasn't set up for success. He will not be "the guy" responsible for QBs. That goes to Wariner and Meyer.

Like I said, he's creative its probably his best attribute. Asking him to coordinate a game plan, recruit and playcall wasn't something he was built for at NU. He really wasn't set up for success. He will not be "the guy" responsible for QBs. That goes to Wariner and Meyer.

He is actually a really good recruiter. Had a lot of connections in Texas. But once he became OC he didn't get to recruit as much. Mainly focused on QBs. But he pulled four-star, state-championship winning QBs out of Texas, California and Florida three years in a row so that seems to be pretty good work.

• Fire 1

He is actually a really good recruiter. Had a lot of connections in Texas. But once he became OC he didn't get to recruit as much. Mainly focused on QBs. But he pulled four-star, state-championship winning QBs out of Texas, California and Florida three years in a row so that seems to be pretty good work.

Armstrong 3 star

Stanton 3 star

Darlington 3 star

Armstrong 3 star

Stanton 3 star

Darlington 3 star

If you go by their lowest rating, yes. They were all four-stars by at least one service and Stanton and Armstrong were four stars according to the 247 Composite rankings.

• Fire 3

Armstrong 3 star

Stanton 3 star

Darlington 3 star

Armstrong 4 star by Scout & 247 (Comp) / 3 star by Rivals & ESPN

Stanton 4 star by Scout, 247 (Comp), & ESPN / 3 star by Rivals

Darlington 4 star by ESPN / 3 star by Rivals, Scout, & 247 (Comp)

Beck also got a state champ from Georgia in AJ Bush (2/3 star)

• Fire 2

Indeed he does. If he can focus on helping with the game and recruiting he'll be fine. Its just asking him to be the sole person responsible for an offense set him up to fail. He wasn't ready to handle the duties that were required and a lot of that is on Bo. He'll use Ohio State to help launch his career

Lots of the recent posts on this thread are off topic. I came to read about Patrick today and nothing new on him at all. Some of these recent posts would do well in a new thread.

These threads tend to get off on a tangent when there isn't any news on a recruit. I guess at least it keeps the discussion alive until there is some new info.

Lots of the recent posts on this thread are off topic. I came to read about Patrick today and nothing new on him at all. Some of these recent posts would do well in a new thread.

Yeah, I was thinking that as well but haven't gotten to move them yet. I'll try to get it cleaned up this evening.

And yet, in four out of the last five seasons, Taylor and Tommy put up equal or better passing efficiency numbers than OSU's NFL QB factory.

I am hopeful that access to better talents at NU, like this kid hopefully (and especially in supporting cast), will allow Riley and company to improve their QB results. I just find the bashing of the old staff unnecessary and strange given the clear track records.

Riley is regarded as a QB guru. Beck is regarded as???? Riley makes better qbs. You can use your numbers etc. But the simple fact is Riley has produced more NFL roster QBs at OSU than NU in how many decades???

The other simple fact is Riley has zero championships of any kind at the collegiate level. Producing NFL roster quarterbacks has not been the championship ingredient at Nebraska and certainly hasn't done anything special for Riley's career winning percentage.

Dylan, I'm a little surprised by those numbers and don't think they change the reality that we did not have very good quarterbacking at Nebraska under Bo, despite having as much WR and TE talent as we have had here in decades.

Whether it was turnovers, pocket presence, or just inaccuracy, QB play left a bit to be desired.

Sharp QB play (i.e, not just good running) would go a long way into getting to the next level. Though, short of extraordinary QB play, it's no guarantee either. Still it is pretty important. A lot easier to land those rare talents when you have coaches with a good reputation for developing it.

• Fire 1

And yet, in four out of the last five seasons, Taylor and Tommy put up equal or better passing efficiency numbers than OSU's NFL QB factory.

I am hopeful that access to better talents at NU, like this kid hopefully (and especially in supporting cast), will allow Riley and company to improve their QB results. I just find the bashing of the old staff unnecessary and strange given the clear track records.

Riley is regarded as a QB guru. Beck is regarded as???? Riley makes better qbs. You can use your numbers etc. But the simple fact is Riley has produced more NFL roster QBs at OSU than NU in how many decades???

The other simple fact is Riley has zero championships of any kind at the collegiate level. Producing NFL roster quarterbacks has not been the championship ingredient at Nebraska and certainly hasn't done anything special for Riley's career winning percentage.

At Nebraska no, but it's been an ingredient at almost every other championship-winning school. Taking a look at the national champions for the last 10 years:

2005: Texas - Vince Young (3rd overall pick)

2007: LSU - Matt Flynn (209th overall pick)

2008: Florida - Tim Tebow (25th overall pick)

2009: Alabama - Greg McElroy (208th overall pick)

2010: Auburn - Cam Newton (1st overall pick)

2011/2012: Alabama - AJ McCarron (164th overall pick)

2013: Florida State - Jameis Winston (1st overall pick)

I didn't include the 2014 Buckeyes since obviously none of the QBs on the roster have declared for the draft or are draft eligible yet. The '06 Gators are the only championship-winning team in the past 10 years to not have their starting QB (Chris Leak) get drafted, and Chris was signed by the Bears immediately after the draft. Yes, some of these guys were reaches or outright busts and several were very late picks, but they were still good enough to at least get signed to an NFL roster as a QB. All of those teams have been loaded with talent, so having an NFL caliber QB obviously isn't the only reason why they won championships, but it was clearly a big part.

• Fire 1

I'm sure Beck will do better coaching for a team that has QBs that can do more of what he wants to do offensively. I just always got the feeling he wanted our QBs to be something they're not, though.

Beck isn't calling plays at OSU

Genuinely curious, who will be calling the plays? Urb?

Pretty sure Herman called the plays last year.