***2018 Recruiting***

2 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

The thing with QB is that if there is unexpected attrition, injuries, or regression, then you likely can’t just move a scholarship player over to QB and be successful. Struggling tackles can move around the OLine, WRs can try out defensive back positions and vice-versa, LBs can move around, etc. I don’t want the staff to bring in a QB just to bring one in - there’s no point in wasting a spot on someone who won’t pan out. It should take due diligence and scouting to make sure to find someone who will fit the system, even if it means taking “just a 3-star.” At worst, the player will (in theory) learn the playbook and be a vital arm in practice. But that’s not what they’re doing, they didn’t plan to take one and now it feels like they’re scrambling to find someone which I expect means some attrition at the position.

RB is the same way and it’s why I think you should always take a QB and a RB in every class. Those are two positions where roster holes can be devastating.

If you are recruiting guys to be backups you will not be a head coach very long.  

6 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

If you are recruiting guys to be backups you will not be a head coach very long.  

Oh by all means. That’s why I put in the due diligence part and the part about not taking someone just to take someone. Thought it would make it clear that I wasn’t suggesting to recruit back-ups.

We should have been recruiting QB all along was my point.

6 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I think that POB is transferring 

This would not be at all surprising.

I've said since Gebbia committed that it was EXTREMELY unlikely that both he and POB would graduate from Nebraska.

And if I were POB I'd have a hard time thinking I was going to get a shot even next year if Lee can play that badly and still not get a shot.  So why wait another 1.5 years to MAYBE be the starter.  If you're not playing next year anyway, it would make sense if he wanted to get a head start somewhere else.

POB ran for more yards in high school becasue of the plays they ran allowed it by default. 

I bet POB transfers and a new football coach signs 2 QB's in February and they both will be labed as dual threat. The only way we will land a decent running back in this class is for a new staff to come in. That is how bad recruiting is for that position.  

If we make a big name hire, or the hot national commodity like it sounds frost could be. They should have the ability to pull some kids even if they are late to the party. I would think Frost could swing a dual threat guy to come here late. Kids love his style of offense and pair that with Nebraska prestige and facilities

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If we make a big name hire, or the hot national commodity like it sounds frost could be. They should have the ability to pull some kids even if they are late to the party. I would think Frost could swing a dual threat guy to come here late. Kids love his style of offense and pair that with Nebraska prestige and facilities

I would think Frost would be able to pull some speed guys out of Florida to come with him.  Maybe not as highly-rated as some but their speed make them a great fit for his offense.

7 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

At this point I figured it makes no sense to pay attention to recruiting until after the Iowa game.  MR is a dead man walking and has built up great relationships with his recruits.  They will start walking.  This class will be dismal now.  

No arguing that. I think we need someone at Head Coach who runs an offensive system that gives us competitive advantages without having to pull in .98 guys at every position. The osborne Option I Formation system gave us that advantage. The frost spread does the same thing. To run Pro Style offense I think you need a level of consistency on every play and every snap that is too hard to get in college. 

• Plus1 2

On 10/23/2017 at 1:36 PM, Red Five said:

Hell, even w/o a coaching change it is going to be fun to watch.

What committed kids don't sign a letter early?  Do the teams they are committed to keep after them or cut them loose?  How many committed kids will not get a letter from their school?  Do they start looking elsewhere or hang on thinking they will get to sign in Feb?

If you are an Athletic subscriber, here is a good article on the uncertainties of the early signing period.  A snippet:

In the past two winters, 39 of 49 new head coaching hires were made before Dec. 20. But that doesn’t mean the head coaches had their coaching staffs in place in time for that date. The period of time between conference championship games and the new signing period is just 18 days. Those two and a half weeks promise to be frenzied.

For athletic directors, the firing timeline doesn’t change much. Most coaches will get axed at the end of November. But the hiring timeline will be interesting to track. A coach waiting until after his bowl game to interview for another job, for example, seems less sensible in this new recruiting environment.

The intersection of coaching changes and early signing brings up another expectation: This will get messy for newly hired head coaches. Just ask Rhule, who left Temple for Baylor and quickly brought in 28 new recruits in just five weeks. His staff didn’t land its first pledge there until Dec. 28.

If recruits could sign in December last year, and a large majority of them did end their recruitments then, Rhule and his coaches would have been stuck fishing from a small pond in January.

“We would’ve been in a world of hurt,” he said. “It would’ve been a really, really not good thing for us last year.”

A recruiting coordinator at another Big 12 school expects the December signing period to be a “nightmare” for everyone involved in coaching transitions.

And Bowlsby likes a "modified Pelini" plan

Bowlsby would prefer to see a signing window from Sept. 1 to Nov. 1 in which schools can issue an NLI at any time for a prospect to sign. He thinks it would produce a more efficient and forthright recruiting system, one where schools no longer made 200-plus scholarship offers to fill 25 spots.

Just now, Red Five said:

What's the context here?

They sorted 247's team recruiting rankings by average rating per recruit.  I actually count us 16 but something like that.

We're at #34 in the actual class rankings but we're still hanging in there on average ranking due to having a few highly-rated players and not a lot of total commits.  We will be dropping like a rock shortly for at least a couple different reasons.

• Plus1 3