Randy tweeting with Alexander

"I don't understand what they're saying on the tweeter machine"

--------

So you get a job because you like your boss. Boss gets fired and you don't like the new boss. You suck it up or get a new job. What you do NOT do is go on social media and bitch about the situation - things will not turn out well.

It's weird how perspective can change so fast.

Do you think we were that jaded in the middle of it, and are only now seeing clearly, or do you think as a fanbase we're still in a bit of a reactionary "f u" phase? Obviously Bo was not evil incarnate, there's too much evidence that he can be a good, grounded guy, so I'm really interested what perception will be like in 5-10 years. I don't doubt we'll still be happy that he's not here, but he might end up being looked at more fondly as time goes on.

Speaking for myself, I started to become jaded with the situation in 2010 and only became increasingly so over the next four (!) seasons. But as a fan, you still have to drum up some enthusiasm for the team whether or not you're a total fan of the guy running the show, so you try to root for the best case anyway.

I'd say the tide didn't really start turning against Bo until that truly anemic 2013 campaign, coming off the heels of an ugly CCG loss in '12 to third place, 7-5 Wisconsin. 2013 was when the audio tapes were released. And we all remember the pronounced and heavy split in opinion all the way up to his firing. That final audio tape probably did him in for a much greater share of the fans, and Riley's subsequent showing that -- who knew?! -- you could have class at the head of your program probably won over (some) of the remaining holdouts.

I'm sure he will be looked at more fondly in due time, because few will really remember the sourness of the experience, or the fact that he didn't win anything substantive and didn't come close for his final four (or five?) campaigns. #9wins, I guess.

Privately I don't doubt that Bo was a mostly kind and generous individual, but clearly his temper and his way of doing things rubbed people the wrong way. And I would also point to '10 as the time this feeling started spreading out, because treat people certain ways and you can't stop that from getting out there. These fans didn't want to hate the guy, heck, we were coming off such a great '09 season. It was a big, slow reveal of what kind of program he was running and a completely self-inflicted fall from the near-unanimous and fierce enthusiasm he enjoyed during his honeymoon period here.

I was loyal to Bo right up until the end. But my opinion of him changed when he rented out that gymnasium. I think Bo would be remembered more fondly by a lot of fans if he hadn't burned the place down on his way out the door. The man is lowbrow and uncouth.

• Fire 2

I spoke to a buddy of mine from Florida called me the day Bo was fired

He asked me what I thought

I said, Bo did a nice job of getting us back to 9 wins after BC was fired, passionate guy

However I felt he had topped out as a HC/CEO and the atmosphere he created just wasnt healthy in the long run

I told him I didnt like the rants, he didnt rep the University well, he got outcoached some, but that a lot of the kids loved him and I know he had some good personal qualities as well

Then I said my personal opinion would be based on how he left it. If he was positive, thankful, gracious and professional- then more power to him. But it didnt end that way, he revealed once again his true nature.

I dont wish anything bad on the guy, but glad he is gone.

Really pathetic to see two extremely talented former Huskers talking about the program that way.

They love Bo because he CLEARLY let them get away with some stuff. Obviously, Leroy got caught doing something worse so Bo had no choice but to do something. Leroy obviously thought Bo would be back, so he stuck around to see it through because he probably knew he could continue the weed, just no more roids. Now he gone and they both wanna talk bad about an incredibly good man, MR? Give the guy a game at least for crying out loud. If I were RG, I'd be PISSED at BO for letting me get away with it then, because it SCREWED him when it mattered the most.

You know, it's fine for players to miss and be incredibly attached to their former head coach. A coaching change, I could imagine, is very tough on the players, especially when the outgoing coach was as close with them as Bo apparently was and when the outgoing coach had seemingly accomplished a lot (although I'll disagree). However, I don't know if you see this kind of talk that we saw with Josh Mitchell, Kenny Bell, and now this interaction between Randy and Leroy, and I wonder why that is.

The culture created here--the cronyism, the us (football team) vs them (fans, media)--was toxic. But remember, Bo won't apologize for anything that he's done, and I for one am glad that we've moved on to a guy who is liked by all, who embraces what it truly means to represent the University of Nebraska, and who has assembled around him a staff of experts--each coach having playing/coaching experience in their respected positions. It's going to be great; one thing's for sure: I'm far more excited for the unknown of this year than the typical 9 win, 4 loss, 2 blowout, 1 embarrassment season that we would have had we kept BP. The players leaving are just a minor, minute side effect.

• Fire 4

Really pathetic to see two extremely talented former Huskers talking about the program that way.

They love Bo because he CLEARLY let them get away with some stuff. Obviously, Leroy got caught doing something worse so Bo had no choice but to do something. Leroy obviously thought Bo would be back, so he stuck around to see it through because he probably knew he could continue the weed, just no more roids. Now he gone and they both wanna talk bad about an incredibly good man, MR? Give the guy a game at least for crying out loud. If I were RG, I'd be PISSED at BO for letting me get away with it then, because it SCREWED him when it mattered the most.

There is a TON of speculation in this post!!! I haven't seen where they "talked bad" about Riley, Alexander just said it was "very different". And I'm sure it is.

Bo and Riley are very different coaches from a personality standpoint. That can't be argued. If a person wants to call Bo childish, fine; he acted very immaturely at times. But to throw out the idea that Bo willingly allowed drug use on the team is very irresponsible.

The funniest/saddest quote I heard from someone close to the program was when a reporter asked a coach about playing nebraska. Maybe I was a sideline reporter, but either way, the opposing coach was asked if they'll make adjustments or how are they going to game plan against nebraska. The response was, "It's nebraska, they think they're smarter than everyone, we'll wait for them to outsmart themselves and implode."

I will still believe Bo does know Xs and Os, I'm not going to take away his acumen. I'll fault him for not coaching kids up, not developing players, and making kids thinkers instead of doers. He reminds me of my high school baseball coach, knows the ins and outs of their respective sport, but instead of developing strengths and letting them go out and play, they focus on weaknesses and become average athletes. Which is why I think we saw a number of those raw kids not last or progress, Thomas Brown, Afalava, etc. and some elite kids hate football, like Tyler Moore.

• Fire 1

RG

Not a fan of him taking himself out of the game so many times- limping off for a play or 2, then right back in

That happened a bunch

Same for him slamming the turf with what looked like some big injury- which wasnt

I said it early last year- very immature player- never a big fan

My buddies that are NFL fans who asked about him- I said, you dont want him, something not all there

Reminded me of 10 year old kids faking injuries to get their "nfl moment" everyone paying attention to them during the game stoppage- then right back in

I agree with this 100%

Yeah. Sorry, guys. I don't miss Bo "f the fans, f the administration" Pelini one bit. It could have been different, that atmosphere and how he ran the program. It wasn't, and that's something completely owned by Bo.

It's weird how perspective can change so fast.

Do you think we were that jaded in the middle of it, and are only now seeing clearly, or do you think as a fanbase we're still in a bit of a reactionary "f u" phase? Obviously Bo was not evil incarnate, there's too much evidence that he can be a good, grounded guy, so I'm really interested what perception will be like in 5-10 years. I don't doubt we'll still be happy that he's not here, but he might end up being looked at more fondly as time goes on.

It's all about winning. If Riley is as or more successful we'll all hate Peilini even more. If Riley is not as successful for several years we'll have second thoughts about whether Pelini's personality issues could/should have been excused.

But Riley is already recruiting better than Pelini and I can't possibly imagine how we can be worse in big games than we were with Pelini, so I'm not too concerned about the likelihood of option 2. Hopefully I'm right.

Nothing Leroy Alexander says holds any weight at this point. He was just shown the door. Like BoBo displayed, a person can act like a resentful child when being shown the door.

Randy Gregory or Leroy Alexander don't speak for this team. If there are guys on the team that feel this way, I'd hope they'd have the nuts to speak for themselves and leave Nebraska.

Staying here as a member of this football team with those feelings, isn't doing themselves or anyone else any good.

I'm glad Leroy is gone. This doesn't sound at all like a guy who was ready to buy in, commit to the team, and give his best to get better. Sounds like a guy who's got a lot of anger and resentment for his situation. A situation he created on his own.

Maybe instead of speaking for others or worrying about who is doing what, he should focus in on doing what's best for him. Close the mouth and go to work.

The funniest/saddest quote I heard from someone close to the program was when a reporter asked a coach about playing nebraska. Maybe I was a sideline reporter, but either way, the opposing coach was asked if they'll make adjustments or how are they going to game plan against nebraska. The response was, "It's nebraska, they think they're smarter than everyone, we'll wait for them to outsmart themselves and implode."

There was also that link to the Jerry Kill Show, broadcast BEFORE the Nebraska game, in which Kill describes in simple detail how Minnesota was going to exploit the Nebraska defense. He did not appear worried that he was giving away his strategy in public, and he was correct that Nebraska made no adjustments to correct this glaring weakness before or during the game. Which Minnesota won.

• Fire 1

There was also that link to the Jerry Kill Show, broadcast BEFORE the Nebraska game, in which Kill describes in simple detail how Minnesota was going to exploit the Nebraska defense. He did not appear worried that he was giving away his strategy in public, and he was correct that Nebraska made no adjustments to correct this glaring weakness before or during the game. Which Minnesota won.

Wisconsin coaches had a good laugh about it after last year's game as well. Wisconsin was fully prepared to make adjustments to their offense coming out of halftime figuring we would change our approach. Nope. They couldn't believe Bo didn't make adjustments on D so they just kept running the same stuff and blocking it the same way.