Conference Realingment Movement?

Creed

I am not saying i want KSU or ISU or Okie Lite... just saying that when things start shaking we might get stuck with them.

If we go the 16 team route, my preference is to add Oklahoma and Notre Dame.

I dont think OK will go B1G so then i am fine with Kansas for the basketball aspect... the one negative is if you stay with the current East/West est up, you are adding even more talent to the east and less talent to the west for football.

I think you have to re-organize to make it more balanced.

My suggestion is:

Nebraska

Minnesota

Northwestern

Michigan

Michigan State

Kansas

Iowa

Wisconsin

Rutgers

Penn State

Illinois

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Indiana

Purdue

Maryland

You add Michigan/Michigan State and send over Illinois and Purdue.

Michigan was a tough flip and i doubt would happen because of the connection to Ohio State and Notre Dame.

After doing all this work, i realized they probably would just do 4 pods.... so the above is probably not even a possibility.

So, in my above situation I tried to think about possible Pods. When i started, I tried for location but that got a bit thrown off.

Pod 1

Michigan

Michigan State

Purdue

Indiana

Pod 2

Minnesota

Ohio State

Northwestern

Illinois

Pod 3

Nebraska

Iowa

Kansas

Wisconsin

Pod 4

Rutgers

Penn State

Maryland

Notre Dame

Kansas screws things up, because normally i would shoot for the MN/IA/NE/WI look, but Kansas should probably be with Nebraska. Iowa as well. So we are sitting at a very weak pod if MN is in there, so that is why Wisconsin got put in here.

Michigan/Mich state is a pretty good group, so tried to lump two weaker schools.

The Minnesota pod is sort of thrown randomly together. I would have liked to keep MN with Wisconsin, so i guess we could always flip wisconsin and Ohio State, but OSU makes no sense in Nebraskas pod.

I am not saying i want KSU or ISU or Okie Lite... just saying that when things start shaking we might get stuck with them.

If we go the 16 team route, my preference is to add Oklahoma and Notre Dame.

I dont think OK will go B1G so then i am fine with Kansas for the basketball aspect... the one negative is if you stay with the current East/West est up, you are adding even more talent to the east and less talent to the west for football.

I think you have to re-organize to make it more balanced.

My suggestion is:

Nebraska

Minnesota

Northwestern

Michigan

Michigan State

Kansas

Iowa

Wisconsin

Rutgers

Penn State

Illinois

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Indiana

Purdue

Maryland

You add Michigan/Michigan State and send over Illinois and Purdue.

Michigan was a tough flip and i doubt would happen because of the connection to Ohio State and Notre Dame.

After doing all this work, i realized they probably would just do 4 pods.... so the above is probably not even a possibility.

So, in my above situation I tried to think about possible Pods. When i started, I tried for location but that got a bit thrown off.

Pod 1

Michigan

Michigan State

Purdue

Indiana

Pod 2

Minnesota

Ohio State

Northwestern

Illinois

Pod 3

Nebraska

Iowa

Kansas

Wisconsin

Pod 4

Rutgers

Penn State

Maryland

Notre Dame

Kansas screws things up, because normally i would shoot for the MN/IA/NE/WI look, but Kansas should probably be with Nebraska. Iowa as well. So we are sitting at a very weak pod if MN is in there, so that is why Wisconsin got put in here.

Michigan/Mich state is a pretty good group, so tried to lump two weaker schools.

The Minnesota pod is sort of thrown randomly together. I would have liked to keep MN with Wisconsin, so i guess we could always flip wisconsin and Ohio State, but OSU makes no sense in Nebraskas pod.

Adding KU and ND is tough. The point of a pod is to keep the teams together that you want to play every year. I think your eastern pod is good with ND even though they have a history with Purdue, msu and mich. they joined the acc to play out east anyway. Wish granted, and they get psu as an annual game. I guarantee you msu, mich and osu will be in a pod together. My guess is Indiana and Purdue get split but would be allowed to play anonconference game every other year to keep their series annual.

OSU

UofM

MSU

Indy

PSU

ND

Maryland

Rutgers

Wiscy

Minn

Illini

NW

NU

Iowa

KU

Purdue

If we get OU instead of ND, move Purdue out east and place OU with NU.

I say expand to 20 teams (yes 20), and split into four five-team divisions as follows:

WEST - Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma
CENTRAL - Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin
NORTHEAST – Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
SOUTHEAST – Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, Vanderbilt/Georgia Tech, Virginia
*New members are in bold.
Each year on a rotating basis, the divisions pair up to form two “super divisions.” For example, in Year 1 the West and Central divisions would pair up, as would the Northeast and Southeast divisions. Then in Year 2, it would be the West and Southeast in one super division and the Central and Northeast in the other. The ten teams in each super division play the other teams in their respective super division round-robin style, for a total of nine conference games. The winners of each super division play in the Big Ten Championship game. Voila!

I say expand to 20 teams (yes 20), and split into four five-team divisions as follows:

WEST - Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma
CENTRAL - Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin
NORTHEAST – Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
SOUTHEAST – Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, Vanderbilt/Georgia Tech, Virginia
*New members are in bold.
Each year on a rotating basis, the divisions pair up to form two “super divisions.” For example, in Year 1 the West and Central divisions would pair up, as would the Northeast and Southeast divisions. Then in Year 2, it would be the West and Southeast in one super division and the Central and Northeast in the other. The ten teams in each super division play the other teams in their respective super division round-robin style, for a total of nine conference games. The winners of each super division play in the Big Ten Championship game. Voila!

Even with 20 we would play each other every 3 years. 6 years home and home. Better than we have now.

This line up is pretty good. All AAU teams other than OU. geographically connected.

I think if the conferences go to 20. ND joins the Big Ten.

not sure why all the love for KU. if you are going to take a school from kansas with no football team might as well take the one with the better basketball team.

Because Kansas has already been vetted, is willing to jump ship, has the better (historically) basketball program and pedigree, Delaney is a former collegiate basketball player (hence his desire to build the B1G as a basektball powerhouse and soft spot for basketball programs), and frankly, is a Power 5 school.

And if you want to be all douchey about Kansas' football program, just remember that Kansas has been to a BCS bowl more recently than Nebraska or Mizzery.

not sure why all the love for KU. if you are going to take a school from kansas with no football team might as well take the one with the better basketball team.

Kansas adds another team to the West, gives Nebraska an actual old conference mate. Their football may be lacking but the Basketball prestige is well worth the patsy on the gridiron.

Even with 20 we would play each other every 3 years. 6 years home and home. Better than we have now.

This line up is pretty good. All AAU teams other than OU. geographically connected.

I would LOVE to have ND join the B1G. But I just don't see it happening in the near future, especially with their new AAC scheduling contract. And if the whole AAU membership thing is a deal-breaker (it shouldn't be since they didn't kick us out when we had our membership revoked), Mizzou would be another viable option in place of OU. However, the B1G had to chance to invite the Tigers back in 2010, but they invited us instead.

Because Kansas has already been vetted, is willing to jump ship, has the better (historically) basketball program and pedigree, Delaney is a former collegiate basketball player (hence his desire to build the B1G as a basektball powerhouse and soft spot for basketball programs), and frankly, is a Power 5 school.

And if you want to be all douchey about Kansas' football program, just remember that Kansas has been to a BCS bowl more recently than Nebraska or Mizzery.

You're right, Delaney definitely has a soft spot for basketball programs, which is why adding the likes of KU, UNC, and Duke makes so much sense. He also has an affinity for geographic reach and TV markets (see also Maryland and Rutgers), which is why adding the likes of Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, and Virginia are right up his alley as well.

I would LOVE to have ND join the B1G. But I just don't see it happening in the near future, especially with their new AAC scheduling contract. And if the whole AAU membership thing is a deal-breaker (it shouldn't be since they didn't kick us out when we had our membership revoked), Mizzou would be another viable option in place of OU. However, the B1G had to chance to invite the Tigers back in 2010, but they invited us instead.

Do you mean ACC? With all the ACC teams you have in your list of 20, that scheduling agreement would be toast.