Conference Realingment Movement?

Creed

Neither Kansas State nor Oklahoma State will ever get a Big Ten invite. They don't bring a single thing desirable to the Big Ten based on how expansion has gone so far.

The only real expansion options in the Big XII are Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

The only realistic ACC options for expansion are Georgia Tech, Virginia, Carolina with Florida State and Duke being possible but unlikely.

I can't see anyone else even being in the discussion for expansion except for maybe UConn. Mizzou leaving the SEC? I doubt it because of pride.

I'm hoping it stops at 16 and I'm hoping we can make the Western front stronger. OU would be great for football and KU would be great for basketball.

KU is almost a lock for the Big Ten down the road. At least I think so.

OU? a lot of stuff in the way especially a potential SEC West division of A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, MSU, LSU, and another team like Okie lite. Many familiar opponents and they'd still play in Texas( not that they can't in the Big Ten or that they did in the Big 8)

I don't see any advantage to the Big Ten in taking anyone from the Big 12 with exception of KU because of its academice and BB reputation. The Big Ten already has Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Nebraska and Wisconsin for football powers. That's God's plenty. The last thing you want to do as a conference is add so many 'power' schools that they all beat each other up so badly that none have a serious chance of finishing unbeaten or with one loss. The SEC is facing this problem somewhat and has plenty of reasons to not want OU or TX. Both teams present big challenges to all members as opponents. If I am OU and TX, I would go together to the PAC 12. Overall, less difficult schedule and better weather, etc. TX and OU are too far away for fans to travel. KU fits better geographically in Big Ten west of course. But I think Big Ten needs to realign a tad and add couple more East division teams. Pittsburgh or east coast school with strong academics and BB programs is best. Big Ten is already strong in football. I believe Big Ten has the most National champions and wins of all the conferences already from historical perspective.

I really see Missouri making the jump if things begin to rumble again.

UConn will be in play as well.

And don't be surprised if Vanderbilt starts to get mentioned. I realize they are not a Power school for football or basketball But Tennessee has a population of 6.5 million, they are a prestigious academic institution, the SEC has no G.O.R., and Delaney would love nothing more than to get the B1G on television in SEC country right beside the SEC Network.

I am not saying i want KSU or ISU or Okie Lite... just saying that when things start shaking we might get stuck with them.

If we go the 16 team route, my preference is to add Oklahoma and Notre Dame.

I dont think OK will go B1G so then i am fine with Kansas for the basketball aspect... the one negative is if you stay with the current East/West est up, you are adding even more talent to the east and less talent to the west for football.

I think you have to re-organize to make it more balanced.

My suggestion is:

Nebraska

Minnesota

Northwestern

Michigan

Michigan State

Kansas

Iowa

Wisconsin

Rutgers

Penn State

Illinois

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Indiana

Purdue

Maryland

You add Michigan/Michigan State and send over Illinois and Purdue.

Michigan was a tough flip and i doubt would happen because of the connection to Ohio State and Notre Dame.

After doing all this work, i realized they probably would just do 4 pods.... so the above is probably not even a possibility.

OU would be in a division with LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, Alabama, MSU, Ole Miss and Texas A&M. Thats tough going. They can compete for the Division every year vs Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Northwestern and Illinois.

I'd think they'd rather be in the West of the Big Ten since its easier and can still recruit Texas just fine being only 3 hours away from Dallas.

Frankly, this move would open up Texass more to B1G recruiting (though not nearly as much as Texass to the B1G). That wouldn't be a bad thing...

I can see it that way. It certainly has opened some east coast and Virginia recruiting up to Big Ten teams with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland.

OU is in a little different situation than Texas. I can see Texas going to the Big Ten, ACC or Pac-12 depending on how they are feeling. I can't see OU going to the Pac-12 and only going to the ACC if Texas goes.

If OU can open up Texas recruiting for Big Ten teams then who needs Texas? I'd say KU and OU and call it a day. The Conference already has several high profile bowl games in Florida and California. Just need more Texas influence to lock up the Top 3 states and 4 out of 5.

I'm hoping it stops at 16 and I'm hoping we can make the Western front stronger. OU would be great for football and KU would be great for basketball.

KU is almost a lock for the Big Ten down the road. At least I think so.

OU? a lot of stuff in the way especially a potential SEC West division of A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, MSU, LSU, and another team like Okie lite. Many familiar opponents and they'd still play in Texas( not that they can't in the Big Ten or that they did in the Big 8)

Oklahoma fans prefer the SEC because of football, but Oklahoma brass prefer the B1G because of literally everything else it will boost (e.g. academics, Olympic sports, basketball) that the SEC won't...and because it's perceived that the B1G is an easier road back to football glory than the SEC.

---

Byu and boise to the big 12 makes sense. BYU and Boise get into a power conference like they desire and Texas gets to put up with the Who? Me? BYU Cougers.

I don't believe BYU has this desire. That's why they are independent

BYU has the desire--it's the Big XII that doesn't. The no-Sunday event thing is a dealbreaker currently, but desperation on the part of the Big XII could change that.

BYU has already learned that independence is a hard row to plow, and it's one of the two reasons (the other being the tenuous footing Bevo TV is on with ESPN) they haven't pulled the trigger on independence. Plus, there's the marketing aspect--even if BYU goes through unscathed, no one is in their corner pumping them up for the playoffs.

I don't see any advantage to the Big Ten in taking anyone from the Big 12 with exception of KU because of its academice and BB reputation. The Big Ten already has Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Nebraska and Wisconsin for football powers. That's God's plenty. The last thing you want to do as a conference is add so many 'power' schools that they all beat each other up so badly that none have a serious chance of finishing unbeaten or with one loss. The SEC is facing this problem somewhat and has plenty of reasons to not want OU or TX. Both teams present big challenges to all members as opponents. If I am OU and TX, I would go together to the PAC 12. Overall, less difficult schedule and better weather, etc. TX and OU are too far away for fans to travel. KU fits better geographically in Big Ten west of course. But I think Big Ten needs to realign a tad and add couple more East division teams. Pittsburgh or east coast school with strong academics and BB programs is best. Big Ten is already strong in football. I believe Big Ten has the most National champions and wins of all the conferences already from historical perspective.

Good stuff. Do you want to make a conference so tough for football that the average to good teams (not the historically great teams) will never sniff a conference champ or the playoffs and all you win is the ESPN toughest conference trophy? I bet several solid teams like Tenn, Ark, SCar will never win the SEC or make the playoffs in my lifetime. But I guess they get a cookie for being in the toughest conference.

I am not saying i want KSU or ISU or Okie Lite... just saying that when things start shaking we might get stuck with them.

If we go the 16 team route, my preference is to add Oklahoma and Notre Dame.

I dont think OK will go B1G so then i am fine with Kansas for the basketball aspect... the one negative is if you stay with the current East/West est up, you are adding even more talent to the east and less talent to the west for football.

I think you have to re-organize to make it more balanced.

My suggestion is:

Nebraska

Minnesota

Northwestern

Michigan

Michigan State

Kansas

Iowa

Wisconsin

Rutgers

Penn State

Illinois

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Indiana

Purdue

Maryland

You add Michigan/Michigan State and send over Illinois and Purdue.

Michigan was a tough flip and i doubt would happen because of the connection to Ohio State and Notre Dame.

After doing all this work, i realized they probably would just do 4 pods.... so the above is probably not even a possibility.

The major advantage of pods is getting to play each other every other year (home and home every 4 yrs) with a 9 game conf schedule. That and you get to keep the rivals within a pod and play every year.

I would love that versus waiting 4-5 yrs to play NU.