2015 Season Excitement

The coaches didn't have to place any emphasis on recruiting those guys here. They were born and raised right here in Nebrask and freaking WALKED ON!

If that were true, we wouldn't be losing guys who could contribute to out of state schools. The best player in the state just decomitted from his "dream school" 2 weeks ago. The fact is, because of the cost of going to college, it's harder to get guys to walk on now, than it was 20 years ago. Guys like Sean Callahan have said it's a huge factor.

• Fire 1

Don't kid yourselves.

Nebraska has been blessed with some excellent punters and kickers over the years. That's not in any way a credit to the previous staff. Nebraska has always had exceptional punters and kickers. Alex Henery is the only reason Bo Pelini started his tenure here in the same 9-4 fashion in which he ended it.

When I say this staff already knows the value of special teams I'm not saying that Nebraska's special teams necessarily sucked in previous years, aside from that very ugly year you pointed out.

I'm saying that the previous staff did not emphasize it as much as the new staff from what I can gather.

It wasn't until that ugly season that Bo finally gave some serious attention to the unit, up to that point, like I said, we've been very blessed to have the guys we've had there. No doubt Foltz, Drew Brown and Pierson-El will continue to bless us.

Alex Henery is not the only reason why we went 9-4 that season.

The coaches didn't have to place any emphasis on recruiting those guys here. They were born and raised right here in Nebrask and freaking WALKED ON!

If that were true, we wouldn't be losing guys who could contribute to out of state schools. The best player in the state just decomitted from his "dream school" 2 weeks ago. The fact is, because of the cost of going to college, it's harder to get guys to walk on now, than it was 20 years ago. Guys like Sean Callahan have said it's a huge factor.
I like to think I had a little bit with Alex Henry coming to Nebraska, when I coached him he was ready to go to Creighton for a soccer scholarship. And I told him he might as well walk on and make some real money in the pros. I don't want to take all the credit...haha

I also put him in for two plays at outside linebacker/defensive endin a game because he was bored of sitting on the sidelines and begged over and over. It was his only game action that was not on special teams.

Also, some dudes are having their periods in this thread.

I think you kind of missed my point or lost the context in all this garble somewhere. I was meaning to say that it probably took less effort to recruit Alex Henery and Brett Maher to Nebraska considering they were both in state prospects. I thought we were very lucky to have them both end up walking on here especially when you consider that they ended up being two of the best double duty kickers we've had here. It really had nothing to do with Bubak.

Nebraska has been blessed with some excellent punters and kickers over the years. That's not in any way a credit to the previous staff.

YOU'VE taken that and now said that I have said Bo Pelini gets 0 credit for special teams play.

Not exactly the same thing but you did kind of say that.

Yeah not exactly the same thing, but I could definitely see how you and others can get confused.

I think there is some uncoachable aspects to a guy like Alex Henery and Brett Maher. Those guys were highly talented and I don't necessarily think it had a whole lot to do with the coaching they got here. Some guys just have "it".

Now how that translates to giving Pelini 0 credit for special teams, I don't know. I surely didn't intend it that way. I always looked at special teams as more of a decision making role for a coach. Not always so much technical or fundamental coaching, but deciding who does what well and how to utilize that. It can be as simple as where you're blockers line up on returns, what you ask him to do. Or who returns the ball? Is it the fastest guy on the team who is somewhat reliable fielding the ball? Or do you settle for the guy with less speed but absolute sticky hands? Or even deciding when you punt, or when you kick that long field goal. That can come down to knowing your personnel and knowing his limitations.

I can tell you, I sure was glad Bo gave Henery a shot at that 57 yarder against Colorado.

I can tell you, I sure was glad Bo gave Henery a shot at that 57 yarder against Colorado.

What's weird is that there were a number of times, at least 5 or 6, over the next two years where we had a chance to put points on the board from a similar distance, but Bo wouldn't let him. Obviously you don't want to rely on 55+ yard field goals, but I remember that one he crunched against Oklahoma in the 2010 championship game, it was from 51 or 52, but it was the best kick I've ever seen - it would have been good from 70. it nearly cleared the uprights.

What's weird is that there were a number of times, at least 5 or 6, over the next two years where we had a chance to put points on the board from a similar distance, but Bo wouldn't let him. Obviously you don't want to rely on 55+ yard field goals, but I remember that one he crunched against Oklahoma in the 2010 championship game, it was from 51 or 52, but it was the best kick I've ever seen - it would have been good from 70. it nearly cleared the uprights.

I said the same thing in my post and then erased it. There were some baffling decisions to punt that netted us very little yardage.

Nebraska has been blessed with some excellent punters and kickers over the years. That's not in any way a credit to the previous staff.

YOU'VE taken that and now said that I have said Bo Pelini gets 0 credit for special teams play.

[/quote

Not exactly the same thing but you did kind of say that.

Yeah not exactly the same thing, but I could definitely see how you and others can get confused.

I think there is some uncoachable aspects to a guy like Alex Henery and Brett Maher. Those guys were highly talented and I don't necessarily think it had a whole lot to do with the coaching they got here. Some guys just have "it".

Now how that translates to giving Pelini 0 credit for special teams, I don't know. I surely didn't intend it that way. I always looked at special teams as more of a decision making role for a coach. Not always so much technical or fundamental coaching, but deciding who does what well and how to utilize that. It can be as simple as where you're blockers line up on returns, what you ask him to do. Or who returns the ball? Is it the fastest guy on the team who is somewhat reliable fielding the ball? Or do you settle for the guy with less speed but absolute sticky hands? Or even deciding when you punt, or when you kick that long field goal. That can come down to knowing your personnel and knowing his limitations.

still baffles me how quickly Henery fizzled out in the NFL.

• 3 weeks later...

So here we are 29 days away from kickoff. 4 short weeks from tomorrow, we will all be glued to our televisions soaking up an abundance of college football. More than eager to see what kind of team our new head coach can field this year, we await what lies ahead. But are you excited?

When I started this thread I had a pretty tall glass of kool aid chugged down. As of today I still need a refill. After seeing thread after thread of win totals, the general consensus is that we post a 9-3 season with an outside shot at a conference title we will inevitably lose to a much more talented Ohio State.

I gotta say, I am thrilled to see what direction we are going to move forward with. I am excited to see a punishing defense. I am nervous but excited to see what we can do offensively. But if we are already set in stone that this team is a 9-3 squad, what the hell have we gained? We fired the temper tantrum coach and hired the guy who is his polar opposite, yet we don't expect to see any change in record at seasons end. I get that this is a transition year and all, but the schedule sets up pretty favorably and the cupboard is far from bare except for Linebacker. Why not this year? Yeah Yeah transition period and what not. We wanted to turn the ship around right? Lets be honest. A lot of us are just happy the staff is more experienced and less grouchy. Now we can accept a 9-4 mark? Is that what we are?

Hell no. This is still Nebraska, Bob Saget! I say to hell with the honeymoon period, forget this transition crap! I want my 11 wins, and I want them this year! Will I call for Riley's head if we don't get them? Absolutely not. But we shouldn't expect to keep treading water with the #9 wins forever and ever either. The talent is there, the schedule is do-able. We have endured 7 years of roller coaster, plus 3 of sadness before that.

In 2009 when we fielded one of the best defenses ever, we were saying how a decade is far too long to go without a conference title. Well, here we are in 2015 still waiting. I want that trophy, and I want it this year. Lets go Big Red, Husker Nation is hungry.

• Fire 1

So here we are 29 days away from kickoff. 4 short weeks from tomorrow, we will all be glued to our televisions soaking up an abundance of college football. More than eager to see what kind of team our new head coach can field this year, we await what lies ahead. But are you excited?

When I started this thread I had a pretty tall glass of kool aid chugged down. As of today I still need a refill. After seeing thread after thread of win totals, the general consensus is that we post a 9-3 season with an outside shot at a conference title we will inevitably lose to a much more talented Ohio State.

I gotta say, I am thrilled to see what direction we are going to move forward with. I am excited to see a punishing defense. I am nervous but excited to see what we can do offensively. But if we are already set in stone that this team is a 9-3 squad, what the hell have we gained? We fired the temper tantrum coach and hired the guy who is his polar opposite, yet we don't expect to see any change in record at seasons end. I get that this is a transition year and all, but the schedule sets up pretty favorably and the cupboard is far from bare except for Linebacker. Why not this year? Yeah Yeah transition period and what not. We wanted to turn the ship around right? Lets be honest. A lot of us are just happy the staff is more experienced and less grouchy. Now we can accept a 9-4 mark? Is that what we are?

Hell no. This is still Nebraska, Bob Saget! I say to hell with the honeymoon period, forget this transition crap! I want my 11 wins, and I want them this year! Will I call for Riley's head if we don't get them? Absolutely not. But we shouldn't expect to keep treading water with the #9 wins forever and ever either. The talent is there, the schedule is do-able. We have endured 7 years of roller coaster, plus 3 of sadness before that.

In 2009 when we fielded one of the best defenses ever, we were saying how a decade is far too long to go without a conference title. Well, here we are in 2015 still waiting. I want that trophy, and I want it this year. Lets go Big Red, Husker Nation is hungry.

I love you man. You and your witchcraft magic!

Very excited about the new coach. I suspect that the emotional, surly Bo was not bringing out the best in the Husker players, even if he was popular with most of them.

A B1G team has Alabama, Auburn and the rest of them still wobbly on their legs wondering what the hell happened last year. It was no fluke- the national title games score made the game seem closer than it was.

Now the rest of us have to slowly build up to approach that standard- except Iowa.