Bo Pelini had to go and Mike Riley had to be hired

If you are getting 8 wins out of a roster that doesn't have a 2 deep of actual Division 1 talent, that's damn good, and NU should be looking up to a (hopefully) bright future.

You've moved the win total up to 8 now. How many times in his Oregon State career did Riley win 8 or more games in a season?

Riley won 8 or more games 6 times at Oregon State. Oregon State has won 8 or more games 13 times in its entire history.

Two more of those 8+ win seasons, including an 11 were under Erickson in his four seasons there.

Who gives a damn what Erickson did there? We aren't talking about Nebraska Coach Dennis Erickson (thank Devaney).

If you are getting 8 wins out of a roster that doesn't have a 2 deep of actual Division 1 talent, that's damn good, and NU should be looking up to a (hopefully) bright future.

You've moved the win total up to 8 now. How many times in his Oregon State career did Riley win 8 or more games in a season?

Riley won 8 or more games 6 times at Oregon State. Oregon State has won 8 or more games 13 times in its entire history.

Two more of those 8+ win seasons, including an 11 were under Erickson in his four seasons there.

I don't get why Erickson's name keeps being brought up? Is it some kind of deter the hope from Mike Riley?

Seriously, I don't understand the relevance...

• Fire 1

I don't get why Erickson's name keeps being brought up? Is it some kind of deter the hope from Mike Riley?

Seriously, I don't understand the relevance...

I think people just want to counter the "no one can win at Oregon St" argument so they use Erickson who had two good seasons WITH Riley's players. Just a lame argument.

• Fire 2

I don't get the logic.

How is it that Dennis Erickson being able to win at a place like Oregon St. means that Dennis Erickson is a great coach, but Mike Riley winning at a place like Oregon St. raises doubts about his coaching ability?

I think TheSker just really has something against Riley and really liked Bo Pelini. Which again, doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense.

I remember when this board hated Dirk Chatelain for the things he wrote about Pelini and the way he ran the program. Kinda funny how he was right.

Heck, some people still don't like him around here.

I dunno. I was one of those who had a problem with what Dirk wrote about Pelini back then. Because Pelini was our current coach. Even if the things Dirk said back then were true (and they probly were), it doesn't help our program out to tear it down. But I have no problem about Dirk slinging mud at Pelini now. I know, I know, it's a double standard. I just think we should show some deference to the current guy is all. But the *previous* guy, well, he's fair game. :lol:

That is not the local media's job.

At this point, I don't understand how anyone could have any sympathy or respect for Bo. He is the ex that slept with the best friend, called your mom a slut, took all your money and left. I'd much rather have the uncertainty that is Mike Riley than Bo, even though I think Riley is going to surprise the naysayers.

• Fire 1

I don't get the logic.

How is it that Dennis Erickson being able to win at a place like Oregon St. means that Dennis Erickson is a great coach, but Mike Riley winning at a place like Oregon St. raises doubts about his coaching ability?

I think TheSker just really has something against Riley and really liked Bo Pelini. Which again, doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense.

TheSker is probably Mary Pat.

• Fire 1

I don't get the logic.

*Mind blown*

Back to the basement fight...how was the "friend of the program" filming WKU practices and/or spring game?

Also, could that have been a violation for NU...having someone film another teams practice, which the spring game technically is?

I have just heard about this basement thing for so long and I know it is true I just don't totally understand what it was about.

This "board" had some legit connections on the staff as well as many player connections. Not to mention a few Admin connections. Basically Bo decided to flip sh#t because a guy had inside sources and Bo didn't like it. I know for a fact that Bo had guys in the admin dept keep tabs on message boards. Basically if a board stepped out of line he could attempt to cut them off. Ask Sean Callahan about his conversations behind closed doors.

I don't get the logic.

*Mind blown*

Dennis Erickson is a Mercenary Coach. As head coach he has had 10 jobs since 1985. Eight of those jobs were in college and 2 were with the pros. The longest he spent at any job was 6 years and that was Miami. Most jobs it was 4 or less years. He would either be fired or moving on to the next great thing.

Erickson's record at OSU over his 4 year period was his record was 31-17 for a 65% win percentage. Nice, but not spectacular. His records were 7-5, 11-1, 5-6, 8-5. He had the very nice record his second year and played a bad ND team in the Fiesta Bowl with mostly MR recruits, and he got real lucky with a couple of JUCO guys that really helped his team.

No one is ever going to convince me that Erickson is a great coach. He is pretty good, but he is really good at finding a situation that helps further his career.

MIke Riley's career record at OSU is 93-80 for 54% win percentage very average. But from 2003-2009 his record was 56-33 with only 1 losing season. What happened to cause the down turn in his fortunes? A couple of things that I can see.

1. The rise of the PAC 12 overall as a conference, specifically Oregon and Stanford, but also UCLA, ASU, Arizona. These teams man for man almost always had better talent than OSU,but the coaching was upgraded at all of those schools and really saw a jump in their quality of play.

2. The money that OSU was gaining from its FB program was not being put back into the FB program it was being spread throughout the AD to upgrade all the sports teams. He wasn't able to keep up with the other PAC 12 teams in facilities and recruiting budgets etc.

3. I think Mike Riley got a little too comfortable in his position at OSU, I think he got a little complacent with his nice lifetime contract and had lost some fire. I think he needed a new challenge and Nebraska is it.

• Fire 2

I don't get the logic.

There's one way to know for sure. TheSker, post a picture of your gloves.

TheSker has a point.

There's a lot of enthusiasm around here for Mike Riley, perhaps more than his actual record would warrant.

And If 7 seasons of 9 plus wins wasn't good enough for Bo Pelini, why are we suddenly reducing expectations and win totals for Mike Riley?

That's a valid question.

But here's where TheSker is wrong:

1) Mike Riley was a great choice to be Nebraska's new head coach.

2) Go Big Red.

• Fire 2

If 7 seasons of 9 plus wins wasn't good enough for Bo Pelini, why are we suddenly reducing expectations and win totals for Mike Riley?

Mostly because it was 7 freaking years of 4 loss seasons back to back to back to back to back to back to back. And half of that time was spent trying to defend the man while he continually made that impossible to do via angry outbursts and refusal to adjust.

Mike Riley does not have anger issues, and he knows adjusting is part of the game.

But to answer the question, the bar has not been lowered for Riley. 9 wins is still the bare minimum for most, but this is his honeymoon year. Next year we will expect at least a division crown of not more.

If 7 seasons of 9 plus wins wasn't good enough for Bo Pelini, why are we suddenly reducing expectations and win totals for Mike Riley?

Mostly because it was 7 freaking years of 4 loss seasons back to back to back to back to back to back to back. And half of that time was spent trying to defend the man while he continually made that impossible to do via angry outbursts and refusal to adjust.

Mike Riley does not have anger issues, and he knows adjusting is part of the game.

But to answer the question, the bar has not been lowered for Riley. 9 wins is still the bare minimum for most, but this is his honeymoon year. Next year we will expect at least a division crown of not more.

I agree, the bar isn't lower for MR than BP. He needs to win 9 games this year. I think they will. Riley knows what is expected of him. He has said so numerous times that he is expected to win.

I personally think from some of the things he says that he feels he can have a pretty good team this year. Their is talent on this team. Some is untested, but there is talent. I wouldn't expect to see huge differences in the offense, just some tweeks. The key is playing better defense.

• Fire 1