Scout.com/CFN Big Ten Preview & Picks

Conference Preview

Oh how the narrative has quickly changed. In the span of a just a few short months, the Big Ten went from being the biggest bust conference among the Power 5, to being all puffy-chested and ready to rumble with the big boys again.

Think back to where the league was at mid-September of last season. Ohio State was sacked at home by a mediocre Virginia Tech team. Michigan State’s impenetrable defense was penetrated by Marcus Mariota and Oregon. Wisconsin couldn’t throw a forward pass against LSU, Northwestern, Indiana and Purdue lost to MAC teams, Michigan was pasted by Notre Dame and Utah, Iowa lost to a horrible Iowa State team, Illinois was housed by Washington, and Nebraska needs an Ameeracle from Abdullah to beat McNeese State.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1564903.html

Schedules & Picks - Big Ten West

Nebraska

2015 Prediction: 10-2

Sept. 5 BYU W

Sept. 12 South Alabama W

Sept. 19 at Miami W

Sept. 26 Southern Miss W

Oct. 3 at Illinois W

Oct. 10 Wisconsin L

Oct. 17 at Minnesota W

Oct. 24 Northwestern W

Oct. 31 at Purdue W

Nov. 7 Michigan State L

Nov. 14 at Rutgers W

Nov. 21 OPEN DATE

Nov. 27 Iowa W

Big Ten West Picks: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1564907.html

Big Ten West Team Breakdowns

2. Nebraska

What You Need To Know About The Offense: The offense worked just fine last season – for the most part – finishing 17th in the nation in rushing and 12th in scoring. So how much will be tinkered with? Offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf was part of the passing fun at Oregon State for several years, but Nebraska doesn’t have the same parts. In theory, Mike Riley would like to go with a pro-style attack, but QB Tommy Armstrong isn’t a top-shelf passer and he doesn’t have the receivers to crank things up down the field. The running game never worked at Oregon State, but it was terrific at Nebraska last year and it should still be fine even without Ameer Abdullah. The O line will be fine despite the loss of three starters in the interior, and the rushing punch of Terrell Newby and Imani Cross will be strong. The key will be to find the explosion in the passing game for this all to work.

What You Need To Know About The Defense: Disappointing, the Huskers couldn’t stop the great running teams and had problems as the season wound down. The Randy Gregory-less defensive front should be outstanding with tackle Maliek Collins leading the way, and the linebacking corps will be good enough. Will that translate into consistent production in the biggest games? The secondary is full of good options, and the pass rush should be fine, but considering the defense allowed an average of 41.5 points over the last four games, new defensive coordinator Mark Banker has work to do.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1564909.html

Big Ten East Team Breakdowns: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1564908.html

Big Ten Bold Statements

- Mike Riley is a tremendous football coach. Don’t dismiss the idea that a square peg might be able to change enough to fit into a round hole.
- Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa is the best defensive player in the Big Ten. Nebraska defensive tackle Maliek Collins might not be far behind.

• Fire 1

Wow, that is actually what I see as worst case for the team this year.

The sucky part with losing to Wisky and MSU would be that winning the division would be soooooo difficult. Wisconsin would have to lose 3 conference games, right?

Yeah, and they have Wisky going 11-1, only loss in game 1 to Alabama.

Hmm. I couldn't stand losing to Wisconsin and Michigan State especially at home. We need to be riled up for those games. Make it difficult and yell your butt off even more than usual.

If they were our only two losses, and we were competitive in both games, I'd be just fine with that.

The sucky part with losing to Wisky and MSU would be that winning the division would be soooooo difficult. Wisconsin would have to lose 3 conference games, right?

The wheels would need to come off the bus for Wisconsin to not win the division - their cross over games are - wait for it - wait for it - Maryland and Rutgers.

If NU got MSU and OSU, lost to both but beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin would go to the CCG.

Hmm. I couldn't stand losing to Wisconsin and Michigan State especially at home. We need to be riled up for those games. Make it difficult and yell your butt off even more than usual.

If they were our only two losses, and we were competitive in both games, I'd be just fine with that.

Agreed.

If Mike Riley leads this team to a 10-2 record in the regular season, and wins a bowl game for an 11th win, I would be ecstatic.

• Fire 4

Agreed.

If Mike Riley leads this team to a 10-2 record in the regular season, and wins a bowl game for an 11th win, I would be ecstatic.

Same.

Agreed.

I understand that Whiskey has really had our number lately, but don't get all the love and thought that it is a slam dunk that NU loses to them this year. Christ is new at Wisconsin just as MR is at NU. He may be Barry's clone, but I don't think so. He did nothing at Pitt to speak of.

Don't get me wrong, They will be good, but I think we can play with them at home. Now MSU is a different story. They will be a tough nut to crack. I think they look real good for the upcoming season. MSU/OSU should be a dog fight this year. I would not be surprised if they come out on top.

especially for a team with a new coach... 10-2 would be thrilling.

Would feel like a step in the right direction.

especially for a team with a new coach... 10-2 would be thrilling.

Would feel like a step in the right direction.

It would be but I would just hate losing at home. Hell finish with two losses that's a great season.

The wheels would need to come off the bus for Wisconsin to not win the division - their cross over games are - wait for it - wait for it - Maryland and Rutgers.

If NU got MSU and OSU, lost to both but beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin would go to the CCG.

Yea, and this is why there needs to be a separate "divisional record" in all conferences. Because all things are not equal when the schools rotate on and off schedules. It's actually one reason I like having 10 team conferences, with a 9 game schedule. You might have a situation like Baylor, and TCU...but head to head would and should win the tie break. (Just another idiotic thing that the Big12 did, or...didn't do)

Agreed.

I understand that Whiskey has really had our number lately, but don't get all the love and thought that it is a slam dunk that NU loses to them this year. Christ is new at Wisconsin just as MR is at NU. He may be Barry's clone, but I don't think so. He did nothing at Pitt to speak of.

Don't get me wrong, They will be good, but I think we can play with them at home. Now MSU is a different story. They will be a tough nut to crack. I think they look real good for the upcoming season. MSU/OSU should be a dog fight this year. I would not be surprised if they come out on top.

Don't forget about MSU losing Narduzzi. The attitude he brought to that program was a major part in the attitude MSU put on the field.

I don't think NU will win both games but I think they will take one, and lose another on the road somewhere. Not necessarily in conference.

• Fire 1

10-2 would be nothing to sneeze at but I sure would prefer to get there by not losing to both MSU and Wiscy. I could handle it if we're competitive but we need to start winning some games against equal or better teams. Tired of those being written off as expected losses. I would rather drop a game once in awhile that we are expected to win if it means not losing every stinking game we aren't supposed to win. We should not accept 2nd fiddle to the likes of Wiscy or MSU or really anyone in the B1G. Besides tOSU, at their curgent state, why should we accept losing to anyone in this conference?

• Fire 2

That Wisconsin game could be epic. It could be another one of those linchpins in the season, where everything is rolling and we appear to be gaining ground and then that game smacks us all in the mouth and begins the downslide.

Or it could be the game that does the exact opposite. It could be the one where we turn the corner. No doubt that winning that game would be the absolute biggest success of the regular season and would have the cup overflowing with positivity.

Scary thing is that Wisconsin game, and all the hype that will surround it, sets this team up for a let down with Minnesota the following week.

As far as Michigan St. game goes, just look at how poorly we've played in the past and still competed for the game. There were a lot of missed opportunites in that game last year. Turnovers that resulted in zero points and a couple of big defensive breakdowns were the difference in the game. Special teams also played a big part of that game. Nebraska will have the edge there again. As good as Connor Cook is, I think Nebraska has one of the deepest, most talented secondaries in the league this year. This could be a battle of ball control, defense, and maybe even more-so, special teams could be the difference.