Lincoln to get another interesting interchange

Sorry, intersections do not have to be that complicated. Sure you can get used to it.....eventually and call everyone else an idiot or a bumpkin but I've driven around and through a lot bigger cities than Lincoln and I've never seen two clusterf#cked intersections like those 2 links. WTH?

You've also seen some sh**ty backed up traffic then. That's the point of these features, to try and lessen congestion. It's already a messed up junction to begin with.

Sorry, intersections do not have to be that complicated. Sure you can get used to it.....eventually and call everyone else an idiot or a bumpkin but I've driven around and through a lot bigger cities than Lincoln and I've never seen two clusterf#cked intersections like those 2 links. WTH?

You've also seen some sh**ty backed up traffic then. That's the point of these features, to try and lessen congestion. It's already a messed up junction to begin with.

If by "lessen congestion" you mean reduce the number drivers using the roadways by killing them in unnecessarily dangerous intersections, then yeah I can see these 2 CF's working very well. Just seems like it would be a better idea to, I don't know, make the intersections easier to navigate and to reduce the chances of drivers doing stupid sh#t because they don't know what they should be doing.

I don't mind a normal roundabout (got em all over around here) but that one isn't normal and that diverging diamond nightmare......holy hell.

If by "lessen congestion" you mean reduce the number drivers using the roadways by killing them in unnecessarily dangerous intersections, then yeah I can see these 2 CF's working very well. Just seems like it would be a better idea to, I don't know, make the intersections easier to navigate and to reduce the chances of drivers doing stupid sh#t because they don't know what they should be doing.

I don't mind a normal roundabout (got em all over around here) but that one isn't normal and that diverging diamond nightmare......holy hell.

And this thing is just a round about above an intersection. No more difficult to navigate than an interstate interchange.

I don't know, those aerial photos look pretty scary. Maybe it's not so bad when you're on the actual road and not seeing the whole thing. Sorry, just felt like bitching about something I guess.

We all need to bitch about something, sometime. I'm just trying to quell your fears.

Lincoln is crazy but I think that is how most college towns are...Would this new one help at all with game day traffic?

probably not. It's the opposite side of town, to the south.

I don't know, those aerial photos look pretty scary. Maybe it's not so bad when you're on the actual road and not seeing the whole thing. Sorry, just felt like bitching about something I guess.

We all need to bitch about something, sometime. I'm just trying to quell your fears.

Lincoln is crazy but I think that is how most college towns are...Would this new one help at all with game day traffic?

probably not. It's the opposite side of town, to the south.

Ahhh, well then.

• 11 months later...

The Lincoln intersection will be unusual in the United States, but not unique. There is at least one other elevated roundabout in this country -- in Latham, New York, and there are more in the United Kingdom and Europe, where roundabouts are much more common, said engineers at the open house.

The city expects construction on the $25 million intersection to begin in early 2020 with completion in the winter of 2021, based on information presented at the open house on Thursday.
The meeting at Scott Middle School in south Lincoln was the first of three public meetings over the next two years as engineers work out any kinks in the design.
Most people who attended the open house Thursday were happy to see the city serious about resolving problems at the high traffic intersection where Old Cheney, 14th Street and Warlick Road meet.

LJS

Just before I left Omaha in 1999 Dodge St just west of I-680 was going to get a "fly over" intersection - any word on how that turned on?

Dodge Street has an elevated roadway from about 120th to just east of the 680 interchange. If you need to get to the 114th/Dodge area you take the low road with stoplights and access to surface streets. If you want to breeze right through that area you stay on the overpass and skip all of that traffic. It's pretty slick.