Fall Camp Notes

Off to a GREAT start!

It began with Metallica. “Enter Sandman” blared from the speakers on a day when Mother Nature played nice, 70-some degrees as 105 Huskers stretched and jogged Thursday before the first Mike Riley fall practice as Nebraska head coach.

Cross off another first.
And cross off Riley as pleased enough after Day 1, though forgive him for not having any hot takes after watching 100 minutes of practice, which featured helmets but no pads.
“I was pleasantly surprised, maybe not surprised, just pleased in general that after just one spring we were able to come out here and get in some formations, run some plays — some of it looked like football pretty much. That’s pretty good,” Riley said.

(emphasis added)

LJS

:woo

Dwayne Johnson was the lone scholarship player left off the 105 man roster. Kicker Spencer Lindsay was also left off as was WR Christian Bailey who had gotten some mentions from fellow players during the spring.

Most of the rest of the team will start on August 24 - first day of classes. However a few (unspecified) would not report until after the first game.

• Fire 1

Hopefully the players are tired enough from practice to want to go to bed, instead of go out on the town.

My concern would be that late practice gives them an excuse to stay out later. Idk. Depends how you look at it aside from the cooler temps.

Why is it always a big concern if these kids go out on the town? If they are of legal age, and want to go grab a couple cold ones on O Street, and mack on the honeys, it's not a big deal.

Hopefully the players are tired enough from practice to want to go to bed, instead of go out on the town.

My concern would be that late practice gives them an excuse to stay out later. Idk. Depends how you look at it aside from the cooler temps.

Why is it always a big concern if these kids go out on the town? If they are of legal age, and want to go grab a couple cold ones on O Street, and mack on the honeys, it's not a big deal.

I'm talking about time....not their choice of activity

I am sure that most of them will be really tired, and go back to their dorm/apartment on go right to sleep. But there are 105 guys going through training camp right now. They are not all going to be the same. Most 18-22 year old kids are going to stay up until the wee hours of the morning. I know that when I was in college that it was pretty regular to stay up late, even if we weren't drinking/partying.

For most guys, it will probably depend on when they need to be back on campus for weight lifting. If they have their weight lifting done in the afternoon, then the players can stay up until 2 or 3, get plenty of sleep and be back on campus at noon.

I am sure that most of them will be really tired, and go back to their dorm/apartment on go right to sleep. But there are 105 guys going through training camp right now. They are not all going to be the same. Most 18-22 year old kids are going to stay up until the wee hours of the morning. I know that when I was in college that it was pretty regular to stay up late, even if we weren't drinking/partying.

For most guys, it will probably depend on when they need to be back on campus for weight lifting. If they have their weight lifting done in the afternoon, then the players can stay up until 2 or 3, get plenty of sleep and be back on campus at noon.

Yup. Aside from the summer school issue, my guess is that the schedule is at least partly intended to keep them busy at night. They like have conditioning in the morning and meetings in the afternoon or early evening. I would think it helps the coaches with staying focused on office work during the day finishing the day with practice at night.