Camping Out: Defensive Line

Maliek Collins getting some reps at DE again.

Wow, that could be disruptive! Valentine, Williams and Collins all teeing it up at the same time. Plus McMullins/Gangwish, and it seems like that line would be hard to stop. :thumbs:

Sam McKeown said that Gangwish consistently beats Lewis with his pass rush.

I know some will say that it doesn't look good for Lewis but I think it's just a testament to how good Gangwish can be when he's not pulling pelinis ball n chain.

Good for Gangwish. I think you have to worry about our OL pass pro though if that is the case because we don't have an elite pass rusher at DE this year.

I know some will say that it doesn't look good for Lewis but I think it's just a testament to how good Gangwish can be when he's not pulling pelinis ball n chain.

Good for Gangwish. I think you have to worry about our OL pass pro though if that is the case because we don't have an elite pass rusher at DE this year.

We do have two guys in the middle that are going to tie up the center and both guards of any O line we play. That is going to leave the OTs out there by themselves to cover a lot of land in pass pro.

I'm not too worried about this at this time. Our O line is going against one of the best D lines they will see all year.

The O line does need to take the opportunity to make that fact make them better. Get to the point you can hold your own against our D line and we will be in good shape.

or... It just shows how 2 players that have faced one another constantly over the last 2 years have grown to know the other's moves, habits, and weaknesses. What I've heard says they go back and forth on getting the better of the other. It's to be expected. Ricky Henry used to go round and round with Suh, did that mean Suh sucked or that Ricky was great? Neither. When he's on his game, Lewis is seasoned enough to stymie Gangwish, while Jack is known for his constant pressure which will find an opening if Alex lets up a little or makes any kind of mistake.

All to the good I say.

No.

Stop fabricating nonsense. Never once have I read that Gangwish only gets the better if Lewis when Lewis "lets up a little bit" or "makes a mistake".

This tone of avoiding simply giving Gangwish credit is truly annoying.

He wasn't fabricating anything. He made a valid point and it very well could be true. I am sure they have and do face each other constantly and do know what each others tendencies are and can exploit them. That is how they each get better. It's pretty simple.

I'm hoping a bit of better coaching and technique, combined with a clearer role on any given play, will help both of these guys look like even better players this year. I think the lack of some technical teaching and confusion on their assignmdnt s caused a lot of hesitation.

@stumpy- To assume Gangwish isn't beating Lewis even when Lewis is "on his game" is a bogus assumption. I haven't read anything to make it appear Lewis is some sort of all star who never gets beaten, and I've also never read anything that makes it sound like Gangwish isn't capable of beating people even on their best day.

You are the one assuming things. Please point out where someone made the comment about Gangwish not being able to beat Lewis when Lewis is " on his game ". I have yet to find it or see where someone mentioned it. The only thing that has been said is that Gangwish has gotten the better of Lewis and Thanks_Tom mentioned that it could be trouble for our Oline because we are considered to not have an elite pass rusher. If you think Gangwish is an elite pass rusher, then we have different definitions of one. Red Rex made the comment that Gangwish could be beating Lewis because they have practiced against each other for the last 2 years and probably know each others weaknesses.

Top 8-9 remains the same. We'll set aside the defensive tackles - you have to love the group of Maliek Collins, Vincent Valentine, Kevin Maurice, Kevin Williams and Mick Stoltenberg, only one of whom is a senior - and zero in on the defensive ends. The best of them appears to be Jack Gangwish, in terms of pass rush. Greg McMullen anchors nicely against the run. Neither are experts in change of direction moments. Their backups, Freedom Akinmoladun and Ross Dzuris, are decent in a pinch. Three more players - A.J. Natter, Joe Keels, Sedrick King - should be more ready than they are. Freshmen DaiShon Neal and Alex Davis could use a redshirt year.

OWH