The Repub Debate

Wow, Rubiod went all Manchurian Candidate on the thing, when pressured by Crispy. That was weeeeird! He got rattled as Crispy and Kasich made decent cases for, well, governors(vs senators--as in, experience). Crispy got a bump and maybe Kasich has a bit more staying power than I gave him credit for as he seems to have created a stir in N.H.

As usual for Repubs, fear mongering was central to the debate: Korea is this week's new big threat, Zika is this year's CDC doomsday virus that we're all going to die from, EMP bombs from Iran that are going to take out the power grid of the N.E Corridor, er, what have I left out....Cruz carpet bombing of ISIS, check, "surgical" carpet bombing of course. Trumpf extremely bullish on the use of torture--no surprise there. No mention of the climate change apocalypse. Oh yeah, military draft on the table, including women(@ 70% pay). Expansion of wars and the military, of course.

Uhmmm, Cruz was forced to apologize to Dr. Ben, but fell into another lie as he blamed his sleazy IA move vs Dr. Ben on CNN. Jebby got in a tiff with Der Trumpf over the eminent domain thing, and Jeb proved once again that he is basically a slow motion car wreck. Pulling his mama and big bro' out of retirement to speak for him can't save him. Unfortunately, he has enough $ to stay in the race until the bitter end.

All in all, Crispy and Kasich got a bump, Rubio and Cruz took hits, Trump, same ol' same ol' "we gonna win" crapola, and Dr. Ben faded further into the woodwork.

Fiona didn't make the cut.

Fact checking the eighth GOP debate

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/02/07/fact-checking-the-eighth-gop-debate/

Just watched the debate highlights from the other night. My key takeaways:

Up to that point, I'd rank my favorite candidates 1.Trump 2. Rubio 3. Paul

After the debate, Trump still sits firmly at the top of the list, while Rubio had an atrocious night, and Paul is no longer running. I like Rubio, but the canned responses and the constant attacking of Barack Obama completely out of left field are mind-boggling. Cruz seems to be a total scumbag who will say whatever he feels like will win him votes. Jeb Bush actually talked much better about a lot of issues and made a lot of sense, which bumps him up in my mind, but I haven't been a fan of him from the beginning because I think he's a pushover.

Trump is the only candidate that I feel will actually do what is right for the country. If he didn't care about the country, he wouldn't be running. But he sees that this country is in extremely unstable condition, so he's stepping up to the plate, and I think his supporters see that. In addition, he's the only one who isn't bought by special interest groups, and he's exactly right when he points that out in the debates. It's safe to say, he's pretty much secured my vote completely. I know he is very brash and that turns a lot of people off, but we need a leader who is firm and will help restore our economy and restore our borders, and I think he's the only one who has a cohesive plan and will stick to it and make sure it gets carried out.

Just watched the debate highlights from the other night. My key takeaways:

Up to that point, I'd rank my favorite candidates 1.Trump 2. Rubio 3. Paul

After the debate, Trump still sits firmly at the top of the list, while Rubio had an atrocious night, and Paul is no longer running. I like Rubio, but the canned responses and the constant attacking of Barack Obama completely out of left field are mind-boggling. Cruz seems to be a total scumbag who will say whatever he feels like will win him votes. Jeb Bush actually talked much better about a lot of issues and made a lot of sense, which bumps him up in my mind, but I haven't been a fan of him from the beginning because I think he's a pushover.

Trump is the only candidate that I feel will actually do what is right for the country. If he didn't care about the country, he wouldn't be running. But he sees that this country is in extremely unstable condition, so he's stepping up to the plate, and I think his supporters see that. In addition, he's the only one who isn't bought by special interest groups, and he's exactly right when he points that out in the debates. It's safe to say, he's pretty much secured my vote completely. I know he is very brash and that turns a lot of people off, but we need a leader who is firm and will help restore our economy and restore our borders, and I think he's the only one who has a cohesive plan and will stick to it and make sure it gets carried out.

I think Rubio may suffer a minor setback with the vote tomorrow night, but he will come back stronger. The point of this primary process is to be tested and either sink or come back stronger. In 2012 Romney had an awful debate in South Carolina and Gingrich ended up winning that primary, and then in the next debate Romney killed it and won Florida and eventually the nomination. The 2016 primary certainly has more candidates, but at the end of the day, Rubio has much more upside than any other candidate running. I think Fiorina could also do well but she has made some strategic mistakes by hiding out a bit too much in between debates. She also hasn't spent any money on ads, and I'm wondering if she's banking on other candidates dropping out after New Hampshire before she makes a push with ads. We'll see.

As for the other candidates, Bush and Kasich seem to be coming on a bit. Christie burned all his political capital trying to take down Rubio, and I honestly think he hurt himself more. Trump did well in the debate and will win New Hampshire. I can see five (or 6) candidates coming out of New Hampshire:

1. Trump

2. Rubio

3. Cruz

4. Fiorina

5. Bush and or Kasich

As the field winnows, I think Trump will have a tougher time defending his past liberal positions. Obamacare, which is a hot button issue for most Conservatives like immigration, is one in which Trump has recently advocated for universal health care. I'm shocked other candidates have not gone after him strongly for this and repeated the attack over and over as I think it would stick to Trump.

***SNIP***

Trump is the only candidate that I feel will actually do what is right for the country. If he didn't care about the country, he wouldn't be running.

***SNIP***

Well, there's a valid argument that the reason he's running is ego.

***SNIP***I know he is very brash and that turns a lot of people off, but we need a leader who is firm and will help restore our economy and restore our borders, and I think he's the only one who has a cohesive plan and will stick to it and make sure it gets carried out.

What plan? Other than building a wall, I can't recall anything even close to a plan on any issue. And to claim building a wall is a plan is...generous. What details has he proposed for healthcare, the economy, foreign policy or any issue? And claiming he and Putin are simpatico doesn't constitute a foreign policy. In fact, what is fascinating is that Trump offers no specifics; he makes wild claims that are not substantiated with any details - and yet people buy into what amounts to braggadocio.

• Fire 4
***SNIP***I know he is very brash and that turns a lot of people off, but we need a leader who is firm and will help restore our economy and restore our borders, and I think he's the only one who has a cohesive plan and will stick to it and make sure it gets carried out.
What plan? Other than building a wall, I can't recall anything even close to a plan on any issue. And to claim building a wall is a plan is...generous. What details has he proposed for healthcare, the economy, foreign policy or any issue? And claiming he and Putin are simpatico doesn't constitute a foreign policy. In fact, what is fascinating is that Trump offers no specifics; he makes wild claims that are not substantiated with any details - and yet people buy into what amounts to braggadocio.

Ok... I guess people that claim he doesn't have plans don't listen very well, so here...

Healthcare - he lobbies for free enterprise health care instead of government over-regulated garbage. Makes complete sense.

Economy - stop making bad trade deals. He has said many times that while free trade is a good thing sometimes, we're losing billions in trade deals that are atrocious.

Foreign policy - he has talked about this many times, but in the recent debate, he talked about how he would deal with North Korea. He would leverage our relationship with China and basically have them take care of the issue. I heard no one else say that previously, and then all of a sudden several candidates, including Rubio, agreed with him.

He'd also suspend immigration from Syria, which is absolutely the right thing to do.

Ok... I guess people that claim he doesn't have plans don't listen very well, so here...

Healthcare - he lobbies for free enterprise health care instead of government over-regulated garbage. Makes complete sense.

Economy - stop making bad trade deals. He has said many times that while free trade is a good thing sometimes, we're losing billions in trade deals that are atrocious.

Foreign policy - he has talked about this many times, but in the recent debate, he talked about how he would deal with North Korea. He would leverage our relationship with China and basically have them take care of the issue. I heard no one else say that previously, and then all of a sudden several candidates, including Rubio, agreed with him.

He'd also suspend immigration from Syria, which is absolutely the right thing to do.

The only thing I've ever heard from Trump on foreign policy is he'll make someone else do it. He'll make Mexico build a wall. How? He'll make China "deal with" North Korea. What leverage do we have to make China deal with North Korea? We owe them money. And what's the definition of "dealing with" North Korea?

The only thing I've ever heard from Trump on foreign policy is he'll make someone else do it. He'll make Mexico build a wall. How? He'll make China "deal with" North Korea. What leverage do we have to make China deal with North Korea? We owe them money. And what's the definition of "dealing with" North Korea?

Perhaps he, like most intelligent Americans, are tired of trying to be the world's police. So yes, it makes tons of sense to "make other people do it" when it comes to a lot of these things.

China controls North Korea. We have enormous trade partnerships with China, which gives us leverage.

And everybody laughs, but I truly believe that wall will get built between Mexico and America, and I also believe he would make Mexico pay for most, if not all, of it.

He's a brilliant businessman, and he'll make it happen.

Perhaps he, like most intelligent Americans, are tired of trying to be the world's police. So yes, it makes tons of sense to "make other people do it" when it comes to a lot of these things.

China controls North Korea. We have enormous trade partnerships with China, which gives us leverage.

And everybody laughs, but I truly believe that wall will get built between Mexico and America, and I also believe he would make Mexico pay for most, if not all, of it.

He's a brilliant businessman, and he'll make it happen.

Yeah....when China tells us to go pound sand and Trump "gets tough with them" and then they crash our economy with all the debt we owe them.......great plan.

Good segue into all the reasons why we need to reduce the debt we owe China.

Our economy is on the verge of crashing as it is. Most major economists are predicting one of the largest economic disasters of history THIS YEAR.

And Trump's "tough guy" persona is overblown. Yeah, he's not a pushover. Yeah, he's not going to let someone walk on him. But at the same time, his business strategy is to work WITH China rather than try to butt heads with them.

People act like Trump's gonna have his finger on the nuclear launch button as a way to make others do what he wants. That's simply not the case.

If people want the same old thing we've had for decades, we're gonna end up with Hillary Clinton or Ted Cruz, and that's seriously depressing.

Our economy is on the verge of crashing as it is. Most major economists are predicting one of the largest economic disasters of history THIS YEAR.

And Trump's "tough guy" persona is overblown. Yeah, he's not a pushover. Yeah, he's not going to let someone walk on him. But at the same time, his business strategy is to work WITH China rather than try to butt heads with them.

People act like Trump's gonna have his finger on the nuclear launch button as a way to make others do what he wants. That's simply not the case.

If people want the same old thing we've had for decades, we're gonna end up with Hillary Clinton or Ted Cruz, and that's seriously depressing.

I would not say most. For the last 5-6 years, you have been able to find economists somewhere that have been screaming about an economic melt down "THIS YEAR"......

What is Trump's real plan for ISIS?

At one point, he was all about having Russia go and beat them

Then, he talks about having our military go kick their ass.

Honestly, I don't think he has a friggen clue about foreign policy as it pertains to our security.

And....something he obviously has ignored in his....'I want a military that will go kick ISIS's ass" comments, our military has been worn out from fighting in the middle east. We needed a break. There was no way we could have asked our military people to dive right back into Syria and go try to kick ISIS's ass along with probably fighting Assad and his military. Oh.....that would have been a fantastic situation for our soldiers to be in.

The guy is clueless and pulling comments out of his ass to stir up emotions from his base voters.

What is Trump's real plan for ISIS?

At one point, he was all about having Russia go and beat them

Then, he talks about having our military go kick their ass.

Honestly, I don't think he has a friggen clue about foreign policy as it pertains to our security.

And....something he obviously has ignored in his....'I want a military that will go kick ISIS's ass" comments, our military has been worn out from fighting in the middle east. We needed a break. There was no way we could have asked our military people to dive right back into Syria and go try to kick ISIS's ass along with probably fighting Assad and his military. Oh.....that would have been a fantastic situation for our soldiers to be in.

The guy is clueless and pulling comments out of his ass to stir up emotions from his base voters.

I don't agree, and that's fine. Honestly, when it comes to military strategy, I side with Ben Carson on that. He said he'd meet with the military generals who are war experts and construct a strategy from their opinions. I honestly think Trump would do that as well. He's been a businessman for a long time, and he understands that you have to gather advice from people in the know.

Honestly, none of the candidates are war experts, and none of them have any idea what to do. Trump has said he'd "bomb the sh#t" out of ISIS, which is right. He's for interrogation and waterboarding, which is right. He's said it a bunch of times now. We're dealing with a group of terrorists who are cutting the heads off of Christians and posting the videos on the internet. We can't be Mr. Nice Guy and expect to beat them. While it's not pleasant to think about, you've got to go after them, their friends, and their families, and that's what Trump has been saying the whole time. He's the ONLY one saying that IIRC.