The Repub Debate

I don't think it is the same kind of 'broad brush' to say there are barriers in the system. Nor is that negated by people who overcome it. The issue I took with the earlier statement is that I often see an idea similar to that used to advance the idea that we don't need to, or shouldn't, do anything. My apologies if I've misunderstood.

Partly this is a question of scale, and perception. What's a bigger deal that we are plagued by? Socioeconomic programs that have people far too dependent on the government to do anything for themselves, or rising inequality that vastly exceeds most of our own impressions?

The median American estimated that the CEO-to-worker pay-ratio was 30-to-1, and that ideally, it’d be 7-to-1. The reality? 354-to-1. Fifty years ago, it was 20-to-1.

Here's an illustration from the WSJ:

BN-DB633_middle_G_20140603180336.jpg

From Pew:

incomeinequality.gif

So income has been growing since the Reagan years began. At a trickle for almost everybody; in leaps and bounds for a select few. This has been allowed by policy that wasn't there before and doesn't have to be there today. It isn't even a matter of choosing which people to be concerned with. The existence and trending of this gap affects the shape of the entire country. To quip the Scientific American article from earlier, "Americans actually live in Russia"; we just think otherwise. A pertinent passage:

...Americans widely believe that success is due to individual talent and effort.

...By overemphasizing individual mobility, we ignore important social determinants of success like family inheritance, social connections, and structural discrimination. The three papers in Perspectives on Psychological Science indicate not only that economic inequality is much worse than we think, but also that social mobility is less than you’d imagine. Our unique brand of optimism prevents us from making any real changes.

It's simple. Wealthy people have knowledge of how money works and make money work for them. Poor and middle class people go to college, start their life with mounds of student loan debt, get a job (that in many cases a high school graduate could qualify for), and spend the rest of their lives complaining about how privileged the rich are.

I don't think it is the same kind of 'broad brush' to say there are barriers in the system. Nor is that negated by people who overcome it. The issue I took with the earlier statement is that I often see an idea similar to that used to advance the idea that we don't need to, or shouldn't, do anything. My apologies if I've misunderstood.

Partly this is a question of scale, and perception. What's a bigger deal that we are plagued by? Socioeconomic programs that have people far too dependent on the government to do anything for themselves, or rising inequality that vastly exceeds most of our own impressions?

The median American estimated that the CEO-to-worker pay-ratio was 30-to-1, and that ideally, it’d be 7-to-1. The reality? 354-to-1. Fifty years ago, it was 20-to-1.

Here's an illustration from the WSJ:

BN-DB633_middle_G_20140603180336.jpg

From Pew:

incomeinequality.gif

So income has been growing since the Reagan years began. At a trickle for almost everybody; in leaps and bounds for a select few. This has been allowed by policy that wasn't there before and doesn't have to be there today. It isn't even a matter of choosing which people to be concerned with. The existence and trending of this gap affects the shape of the entire country. To quip the Scientific American article from earlier, "Americans actually live in Russia"; we just think otherwise. A pertinent passage:

...Americans widely believe that success is due to individual talent and effort.

...By overemphasizing individual mobility, we ignore important social determinants of success like family inheritance, social connections, and structural discrimination. The three papers in Perspectives on Psychological Science indicate not only that economic inequality is much worse than we think, but also that social mobility is less than you’d imagine. Our unique brand of optimism prevents us from making any real changes.

It's simple. Wealthy people have knowledge of how money works and make money work for them. Poor and middle class people go to college, start their life with mounds of student loan debt, get a job (that in many cases a high school graduate could qualify for), and spend the rest of their lives complaining about how privileged the rich are.

Its evident that income inequality has grown over the years, and moreso under Obama than others. The solution is not to tax the wealthy more though. I just saw a study that showed the top 40 or 50 wealthiest Americans (or something like that) are supplying 10 million jobs in the US just because of their investment in the free enterprise system. We need to find a way to encourage more entrepreneurs to take risks and get out of the lower class and in the process create more jobs. I think its great that the unemployment rate has dropped, but the number that has been used for years is misleading in that it does not factor in underemployment and those that have dropped out of the labor force or all called "missing workers." In the case of missing workers, if they were factored into the actual unemployment rate, it would be closer to 7%, and if you factor in all those that have left the labor force in the past 8 years, the unemployment rate would be even higher.

• Fire 1

Here's an illustration from the WSJ:BN-DB633_middle_G_20140603180336.jpg

From Pew:incomeinequality.gif

Its evident that income inequality has grown over the years, and moreso under Obama than others. The solution is not to tax the wealthy more though. I just saw a study that showed the top 40 or 50 wealthiest Americans (or something like that) are supplying 10 million jobs in the US just because of their investment in the free enterprise system. We need to find a way to encourage more entrepreneurs to take risks and get out of the lower class and in the process create more jobs. I think its great that the unemployment rate has dropped, but the number that has been used for years is misleading in that it does not factor in underemployment and those that have dropped out of the labor force or all called "missing workers." In the case of missing workers, if they were factored into the actual unemployment rate, it would be closer to 7%, and if you factor in all those that have left the labor force in the past 8 years, the unemployment rate would be even higher.

I am completely with you.

Um, Trump's P/L in this endeavor is a big L. This race not only costs direct expenses it's costing him and his family a lot more in foregone profitable work.

Net Worth: Between $3 and $10 billion.

Somehow I can't force myself to care. Especially when he's freely using his pulpit to spread bigotry and incite violence.

I didn't say you cared I said what you said was false.

My point wasn't that it was false.

Just that the concept of needing to pat any of the Trumps on the back for "lost wages" is ridiculous.

I can't wait to hear Trump pontificate regarding education reform and student loans ... while simultaneously defending himself in the multiple multi-million dollar Trump University scam lawsuits.

Kinda puts a tarnish on that entire platform, doesn't it?

Another one of those issues he's rife with waiting to be used against him in the general.