The Repub Debate

***SNIP***

A brokered convention looks better and better - maybe a White Knight could be found to rescue us from a Trump nomination.

I think that pretty much would hand the presidency to the Democrats. Trump may have started his run on a lark (or may not, but for some reason the "feel" of his candidacy just seemed like a rich guy looking to have some fun), but it seems pretty clear that he's now serious about being nominated. If he doesn't get it, with his ego, he will run as an independent. And if that happens, he won't be pulling from the undecided voters; he'll pull from the Republican voters and pull enough from the Republican nominee to ensure a Democrat victory.

All that would make the irony complete would be if the Senate flipped back to a Democrat majority and President Hillary Clinton nominates - and has confirmed by the new Senate - former President Obama for the Supreme Court.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth would be epic!

***SNIP***

A brokered convention looks better and better - maybe a White Knight could be found to rescue us from a Trump nomination.

I think that pretty much would hand the presidency to the Democrats. Trump may have started his run on a lark (or may not, but for some reason the "feel" of his candidacy just seemed like a rich guy looking to have some fun), but it seems pretty clear that he's now serious about being nominated. If he doesn't get it, with his ego, he will run as an independent. And if that happens, he won't be pulling from the undecided voters; he'll pull from the Republican voters and pull enough from the Republican nominee to ensure a Democrat victory.

All that would make the irony complete would be if the Senate flipped back to a Democrat majority and President Hillary Clinton nominates - and has confirmed by the new Senate - former President Obama for the Supreme Court.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth would be epic!

not out of the realm of possibilities.

So this is interesting... I pieced out some spare time during the day today to watch the debate.... I read from everybody on this page and on Twitter who said Trump got dominated, so I watched it expecting to see that play out. I have to say, i don't agree. Rubio and Cruz were definitely taking shots at him, but to me, it seemed to more poorly reflect on them than Trump.

I thought that even with the limited amount of air time, Kasich was extremely strong and had a great debate. He seems to have come out of nowhere and caught a lot of momentum. Rubio and Trump were close behind IMO, and for those saying that Trump isn't giving enough specifics, he expanded a little bit about how he was going to make Mexico pay for the wall.

I think everybody gets the impression when he says he's going to make Mexico pay for it that he is going to build it and send a bill to the president of Mexico. However, when asked about it, he brought up (iirc) a $58 billion trade deficit each year with Mexico. So what I get out of it is that he will be very stubborn with Mexico and rectify the trade deals we're making in order to pay for it, hence "Mexico paying for it."

As far as Carson, he's pretty much being forced out of the race, and Cruz ought to be on his way out the door as well with the sleazy stunts he continues to pull. Hopefully voters stop supporting that guy, because it's impossible to believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

My $0.02

Trump got "dominated" in the minds of people that hate him...that is it. All that was last night was finally two other dudes standing up for themselves...like when your little brother finally fights back...

I perceived it as that also. You'd have to be pretty biased against Trump to say he got owned. At this point, the republicans have a choice to make. They can either nominate Trump or choose not to nominate him and lose a lot of the republican votes in the general election when he runs as an independent.

Quite the quandary for people who don't like him. I just pray this thing doesn't end up with Clinton or Sanders getting the nomination because either of those seem like a disaster and - in the case of Hilary - corruption waiting to happen.

Trump got "dominated" in the minds of people that hate him...that is it. All that was last night was finally two other dudes standing up for themselves...like when your little brother finally fights back.

Cruz wishes he was out because he wants to be a supreme court justice...

Just like Trump and Christie had an alliance before New Hampshire...I think Cruz and Rubio are forming one, and if Cruz does poorly in the SEC states, even if he eeks out a win in Texas, I think he will bow out as he would rather have Rubio win than Trump.

Trump got "dominated" in the minds of people that hate him...that is it. All that was last night was finally two other dudes standing up for themselves...like when your little brother finally fights back...

I perceived it as that also. You'd have to be pretty biased against Trump to say he got owned. At this point, the republicans have a choice to make. They can either nominate Trump or choose not to nominate him and lose a lot of the republican votes in the general election when he runs as an independent.

Quite the quandary for people who don't like him. I just pray this thing doesn't end up with Clinton or Sanders getting the nomination because either of those seem like a disaster and - in the case of Hilary - corruption waiting to happen.

Heres the thing...most Conservatives I know will simply not vote for President if Trump is the nominee...they will vote for other races....or they will write in someones name. Trump is getting a lot of support now from Reagan democrats...that is why you are seeing so many more people voting on the GOP side rather than in the Democratic primary. So i do think he would add these swing voters in a general election but will lose many mainstream and far right conservatives.

--SNIP--

I think everybody gets the impression when he says he's going to make Mexico pay for it that he is going to build it and send a bill to the president of Mexico. However, when asked about it, he brought up (iirc) a $58 billion trade deficit each year with Mexico. So what I get out of it is that he will be very stubborn with Mexico and rectify the trade deals we're making in order to pay for it, hence "Mexico paying for it."

--SNIP--

I know we're in the Repub thread, but even in here, this wall nonsense is just that... nonsense.

Here are a few articles you should look over regarding the viability of such a wall:

A description of Trump's wall from an engineer with good desriptions

Here's why Trump doesn't fundamentally understand the implications or expedience of his immigration policy

Trump's flawed view on economics as a whole

The last two are particularly in step with my own personal thinking. I'm by no means an economist, but even I can tell when Trump talks about "losing to China, losing to Mexico, etc.," he's just totally wrong about the way trade with those countries work.

I asked another person here and got no response. Tell me how Trump gets this wall built? Slapping an embargo on Mexico or imposing massive tariffs on them is going to be very harmful to OUR economy, despite the trade deficit he cites with them. Furthermore, there's no legitimate way to force Mexico to pay for the billions and billions of dollars it will take to build this wall. We've already had MULTIPLE Mexican presidents tell Trump to pound sand.

So please, tell me where Trump gets the actual support to do this? He's acting like when he takes office, he's going to be able to do a lot of things unilaterally that he isn't actually going to be able to do.

• Fire 2

--SNIP--

--SNIP--

I know we're in the Repub thread, but even in here, this wall nonsense is just that... nonsense.

Here are a few articles you should look over regarding the viability of such a wall:

A description of Trump's wall from an engineer with good desriptions

Here's why Trump doesn't fundamentally understand the implications or expedience of his immigration policy

Trump's flawed view on economics as a whole

The last two are particularly in step with my own personal thinking. I'm by no means an economist, but even I can tell when Trump talks about "losing to China, losing to Mexico, etc.," he's just totally wrong about the way trade with those country's work.

I asked another person here and got no response. Tell me how Trump gets this wall built? Slapping an embargo on Mexico or imposing massive tariffs on them is going to be very harmful to OUR economy, despite the trade deficit he cites with them. Furthermore, there's no legitimate way to force Mexico to pay for the billions and billions of dollars it will take to build this wall. We've already had MULTIPLE Mexican presidents tell Trump to pound sand.

So please, tell me where Trump gets the actual support to do this? He's acting like when he takes office, he's going to be able to do a lot of things unilaterally that he isn't actually going to be able to do.

Heres the thing...most Conservatives I know will simply not vote for President if Trump is the nominee...they will vote for other races....or they will write in someones name. Trump is getting a lot of support now from Reagan democrats...that is why you are seeing so many more people voting on the GOP side rather than in the Democratic primary. So i do think he would add these swing voters in a general election but will lose many mainstream and far right conservatives.

That is a term that has not been used in a long long time (Star Wars Impact)