What is this year about?

First, I just woke up from hibernation, so mods, if this is covered somewhere else, merge away.

Simple question: When the end of the season comes, will this year be about "this year" or will it be about the next 5 years?

Will it be defined by a w/l record, or by progress made and the establishment of a new Husker mentality amongst fans, coaches, players, media, etc?

"Both" would be the easy answer. Not acceptable. Chose one or the other.

All I want to see this year is what I've always wanted to see - competitiveness. My expectations have taken a step back this year because of the new staff and all other associated changes. That said, I don't think there's any reason to win fewer than 7-to-8 games. I wouldn't be thrilled with 7 wins, or less, but I'd be a tad more understanding.

That said, playing in a conference title should be the expectation within a couple of seasons, and winning a conference title should be mixed in there within the next several seasons as well.

• Fire 1

A season should never be solely defined by a w-l record. You can play terrible and win games and you can play great and lose games. Wins and losses can only tell so much. IMO, the Huskers have already turned a corner and are on their way to greater things and we don't have a single win or loss yet.

And BTW, I am not expecting any back steps. The coaching staff has improved and I expect that to translate on to the field and in to the W-L record. Bo and co. cost us some games so I expect to pick up another win or two. Realistically I know a regime change may undergo some growing pains but, looking at our schedule game by game, I really don't see where we should have a loss before the ccg. Odds are we will drop a couple along the way and I'm ok with that as long as we're competitive and don't embarrass ourselves ala the typical Bo blowout meltdown. Very confident that the w-L will be as good or better and even more confident that we won't do stupid sh#t and fail to adjust.

• Fire 4

This is the strangest year of Husker football that I can remember. We don't even know what to complain about because it's all a mystery until the BYU game is played. What it's about is how the media and fans will react after the Pelini years. How we react will define the program.

• Fire 1

This is the strangest year of Husker football that I can remember. We don't even know what to complain about because it's all a mystery until the BYU game is played. What it's about is how the media and fans will react after the Pelini years. How we react will define the program.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

Huh?

No, how the team plays will define... the season. How the media and fans react means almost nothing.

• Fire 3

eyeswear2allthatsholy

Huh?

No, how the team plays will define... the season. How the media and fans react means almost nothing.

The season? How we react will define the program.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

Huh?

No... it won't. Not at all.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

Huh?

No... it won't. Not at all.

We'll see about that. If things go down hill and we start cutting our own throat, we'll see how long it takes to recover in recruiting.