What is this year about?

Definitely progress and laying the foundation for the next 5 years. I want to see Nebraska do big things again, and if we need to take a step back before taking the leap forward then so be it. My guess is that we field a decent team this year fwiw.

Changing coaches was done to take that next step/leap that had become clear that Pelini couldn't make happen. Doesn't mean it's going to happen in year 1 unfortunately.

• Fire 2

Winning and a lot of it.

First off...Riley is not taking over some downtrodden team with zero experience coming back.

He is not facing some daunting schedule, there is a chance they only face 2 ranked teams

He has a QB with 20 starts

Riley is a seasoned vetern with a super experienced staff

This is not a rebuild. Riley was hired, not to rebuild and not to maintain. He was hired so that a 9 win season starts to look like the floor and not the ceiling.

This.

Enjoying Husker football again, Being proud of our coach and what he represents. Complete belief that we CAN and WILL compete for championships again. The product on the field will be enjoyable to watch again. I will never have to listen to the phrase "Its fixable" or "we just didn't execute" again.

• Fire 3

Winning and a lot of it.

First off...Riley is not taking over some downtrodden team with zero experience coming back.

He is not facing some daunting schedule, there is a chance they only face 2 ranked teams

This is not a rebuild. Riley was hired, not to rebuild and not to maintain. He was hired so that a 9 win season starts to look like the floor and not the ceiling.

Completely agree. If we wanted another 4 loss season we would of stuck with Bo.

• Fire 1

Winning and a lot of it.

Completely agree. If we wanted another 4 loss season we would of stuck with Bo.

Riley was also hired to bring a different mentality to the program. Winning is what ultimately matters, but, if anybody thinks this was purely about how many games the coach wins, they're fooling themselves. MR's personality is a night and day difference compared to BP. If this hire had solely been about wins and losses, can we say for certain MR would've been the guy hired? I can't say that. I don't think any of us can with certainty.

As much as we all want to win and win now, be fair to MR. Yes, he agreed to take the job, but it's an extremely difficult job that a lot of us can't fully comprehend because we've never done it. He deserves some time to do things his way.

• Fire 2

Winning and a lot of it.

Couldn't it "start to look like the floor and not the ceiling" in many ways without actually winning 9 games this season? :-)

Winning and a lot of it.

Couldn't it "start to look like the floor and not the ceiling" in many ways without actually winning 9 games this season? :-)

For me, one of the reasons I would have a hard time with that is that NU is (at this moment) favored in all games but 2. They will probably only face 2-3 teams that are ranked higher than them. Right now that would be MSU and Wisconsin (Miami could be when they play but I am not sure that they are right now)

With an experienced staff and a QB with 20 starts and recruiting rankings that back up that NU has better talent than all the teams they face (except Miami and maybe MSU) I just can't imagine why NU would drop 5 or 6 games this year.

• Fire 2

First, I just woke up from hibernation, so mods, if this is covered somewhere else, merge away.

Simple question: When the end of the season comes, will this year be about "this year" or will it be about the next 5 years?

Will it be defined by a w/l record, or by progress made and the establishment of a new Husker mentality among fans, coaches, players, media, etc?

"Both" would be the easy answer. Not acceptable. Chose one or the other.

To satisfy the skeptics, Riley must win at least 9 games or more.

To satisfy everyone else, there must be progress.

Personally, I need to see progress. Tackling must improve on the defense. No more games where we get blown out. No more team melt downs on the field. Fewer penalties, fewer turnovers by us and more forced turnovers for the enemies. I think all of this and more is achievable with our staff upgrade.