Camping Out: Linebackers

55c2ce008b08c.image.jpg?resize=620%2C671

Red Report: Freshman Young gains promotion

15 hours ago • By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON | LINCOLN JOURNAL STAR

Nebraska coaches have made it clear Dedrick Young has had a strong camp. How's this for strong? If a game were played today, the true freshman would be Nebraska’s starter at weakside linebacker over sophomore Marcus Newby.
Whoa! Young the starter? I knew he was looking good in camp but I'm surprised he's made it to the top of the depth chart.
Fine by me. Let's get the best guys on the field. Regardless of seniority.
  • Fire 1

I'm glad that Riley/Banker/Bray are willing to play a true frosh at the LB spots and not just put a walk-on in there to preserve a redshirt season.

Unless the walk-on is as good or better.
Agree, but I think the old staff went with a walk-on numerous times to try and just "get by".

When do you think that happened? I can see the argument that they had to go with walk ons because they didn't recruit the right number of players at certain positions. But when did they go with a walk on instead of burning a redshirt? I mean... look at Abdullah, Heard, and Green. I believe Aaron Curry played as a true freshman too and he hardly played.

I'm glad that Riley/Banker/Bray are willing to play a true frosh at the LB spots and not just put a walk-on in there to preserve a redshirt season.

Agree, but I think the old staff went with a walk-on numerous times to try and just "get by".

And...sometimes those Walkons were damn good players that deserved everything they got.

That isn't provable but there is enough pieces in place to make a case circumstantially.

1. Pelini's defense is hard on the brain.

2. Pelini's dog house factor (questionable)

3. Redshirting to enable keeping athletes longer for more time to understand the defense.

Like this bunch. There are six - Josh Banderas, Michael Rose-Ivey, Dedrick Young, Marcus Newby, Luke Gifford and Tyrin Ferguson. Those last two - Gifford and Ferguson - are not that far away, either. Ferguson wants to play physical, and he's a big dude - he doesn't weigh the same as Banderas, but he's the same frame. So is Gifford, arguably camp's most pleasant surprise. That's no joke. He makes plays. Young is the best athlete of the bunch, which you can see when he changes directions and moves laterally. Newby isn't quite that fluid, but he can hit.

This unit has gone from a question mark to a strength, and it may have the most talent per capita of any position on the team. And position coach Trent Bray will be getting defensive coordinator offers soon enough.

OWH

• Fire 1

A bunch of freak athletes who can run and get sideline to sideline and an easier defense that allows you to pin your ears back is what gives me the most hope.

It will be a learning experience for these guys, but I for one cant wait to see what happens. I think the defense will be much more dynamic but will also force us to make many more in-game adjustments and change scheme game by game. Wont be a super hard defense to scheme against, so need to make plays.

Compared to Bo's defense which was so complex, yet didnt change as much game to game.

Young talent at LB allows for us to hopefully see the future now, but it might be ugly at times.