Possible suspension? Some WR's maybe not ready?

Just listened to the podcast on USC of the reporter. The stuff he wrote sounded much worse in print than what he said on the radio. He actually kind of blew off the freshman LB transfering as not very likely.

I was interested to here his opinion on the team as a whole from watching practice. He thought NU was hurting at QB behind TA. He felt that NU's WR were not as good as what Riley had at OSU which I found interesting. Personally I think the overall talent at WR is about as good as it has ever has been. Most the BTN guys think we have pretty good WR. He thought our linemen looked better than at OSU.

I think the reporter is used to seeing Pac-10/12 athletes at WR and other skill positions. Oregon State and other "marginal" schools are going to struggle bringing in difference-makers at the o-line position, as well as have quality depth on the o-line. That is why the "marginal" schools go to the spread offense, because you just need the o-linemen to stand in the way of the defense, and not be "road graders".

Just listened to the podcast on USC of the reporter. The stuff he wrote sounded much worse in print than what he said on the radio. He actually kind of blew off the freshman LB transfering as not very likely.

I was interested to here his opinion on the team as a whole from watching practice. He thought NU was hurting at QB behind TA. He felt that NU's WR were not as good as what Riley had at OSU which I found interesting. Personally I think the overall talent at WR is about as good as it has ever has been. Most the BTN guys think we have pretty good WR. He thought our linemen looked better than at OSU.

Oregon State had in Brandin Cooks the 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner and future 1st round NFL draft pick, so that's not too surprising. Our best WR just left the team.

Being better in the trenches will serve us well, but maybe this will pump the breaks a little bit on our own penchant to highly overrate NU's talent level. It's still plenty capable, though, but it should be a surprise to nobody that we'll be slugging it out with the kinds of comparably talented teams we have met with in recent years.

The QB comment is interesting, too, but not surprising. As amazed as Nebraska fans must have been to see any Husker quarterback go through progressions...those guys are young and inexperienced. If they have to play this year, there will be growing pains.

That said, this is just one outside reporter's opinion from one brief look.

• Fire 1

Oh good lord. No names were named.

Meaning those guys don't know who they are and therefore nobody should be concerned about this.......? Or what?

I just read the whole article. I don't see anything wrong with what Riley or the staff did or said. There wasn't any "secret" information shared. The suspension info will come out eventually, and I am sure the players already know. Also, the talk about the "high-maintenance" player isn't a big deal. If anyone coaches sports, they are going to have players that are pains in the butt, or high-maintenance. The players know it and are probably even told during practice or meetings. They might not use the "high-maintenance" verbage, but probably something similar.

JJ, This ^^

Coach T, I am sure you joke around with players or their parents (it may not even be joking) by saying "Man, you have a lot of talent, but you're lazy" or "Please stop whining for one minute and just practice". There is always one or two of those guys in a group that will push a coach's buttons.

When I coached baseball last year, there were these set of twins that were very talented, but they never wanted to listen to the coaches. I told them that all the time, and I told their parents too. Their parents knew it, so it wasn't a big deal.

Ya. Actually got after one of my players today. I was talking about "why" we do one of our techniques and the first part of position drills were done with too much laziness so I finally jumped them and said to the one player hanging his head. Told him if he wanted to go take a nap, go home, but not on our field.

I also joke with them, yes about being pansy or soft or whatever. Kids laugh it off.

If people have any concerns about the messaging of the article and what the staff has to say, listen to the podcast on Unsportsmanlike Conduct on 1620.

Meaning those guys don't know who they are and therefore nobody should be concerned about this.......? Or what?

I just read the whole article. I don't see anything wrong with what Riley or the staff did or said. There wasn't any "secret" information shared. The suspension info will come out eventually, and I am sure the players already know. Also, the talk about the "high-maintenance" player isn't a big deal. If anyone coaches sports, they are going to have players that are pains in the butt, or high-maintenance. The players know it and are probably even told during practice or meetings. They might not use the "high-maintenance" verbage, but probably something similar.

JJ, This ^^

Coach T, I am sure you joke around with players or their parents (it may not even be joking) by saying "Man, you have a lot of talent, but you're lazy" or "Please stop whining for one minute and just practice". There is always one or two of those guys in a group that will push a coach's buttons.

When I coached baseball last year, there were these set of twins that were very talented, but they never wanted to listen to the coaches. I told them that all the time, and I told their parents too. Their parents knew it, so it wasn't a big deal.

Ya. Actually got after one of my players today. I was talking about "why" we do one of our techniques and the first part of position drills were done with too much laziness so I finally jumped them and said to the one player hanging his head. Told him if he wanted to go take a nap, go home, but not on our field.

I also joke with them, yes about being pansy or soft or whatever. Kids laugh it off.

Exactly, as coaches, you have to be able to rip into them one minute, joke with them 30 minutes later, and then put your arm around them to offer encouragement another 30 minutes later. It's part of the job.

• Fire 1

That's not surprising. No one really wow's out there. Even DPE, his wow factor comes when the ball is already in his hands.

JJ, This ^^

Exactly, as coaches, you have to be able to rip into them one minute, joke with them 30 minutes later, and then put your arm around them to offer encouragement another 30 minutes later. It's part of the job.

Absolutely.

My favorite is telling our guard that his McDonalds is showing and he better lay off for a couple weeks. He always smiles at that one.

Oregon State had in Brandin Cooks the 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner and future 1st round NFL draft pick, so that's not too surprising. Our best WR just left the team.

Being better in the trenches will serve us well, but maybe this will pump the breaks a little bit on our own penchant to highly overrate NU's talent level. It's still plenty capable, though, but it should be a surprise to nobody that we'll be slugging it out with the kinds of comparably talented teams we have met with in recent years.

The QB comment is interesting, too, but not surprising. As amazed as Nebraska fans must have been to see any Husker quarterback go through progressions...those guys are young and inexperienced. If they have to play this year, there will be growing pains.

Oh, I know OSU has had good WR over the years, but I just found it interesting that he said that and was fairly positive about it. I know Oregon St was only 5-7 last year, but I was actually watching some of their games on the PAC 12 network the other night. They always played hard and played pretty well for the most part they just didn't have enough talent. Even at 5-7 they still beat Arizona and Utah last year. The threw the ball a lot because they didn't have the line to run the ball.

Oh, I know OSU has had good WR over the years, but I just found it interesting that he said that and was fairly positive about it. I know Oregon St was only 5-7 last year, but I was actually watching some of their games on the PAC 12 network the other night. They always played hard and played pretty well for the most part they just didn't have enough talent. Even at 5-7 they still beat Arizona and Utah last year. The threw the ball a lot because they didn't have the line to run the ball.

They only beat #7 ASU and the muffaloes