Possible suspension? Some WR's maybe not ready?

Just listened to the podcast on USC of the reporter. The stuff he wrote sounded much worse in print than what he said on the radio. He actually kind of blew off the freshman LB transfering as not very likely.

I was interested to here his opinion on the team as a whole from watching practice. He thought NU was hurting at QB behind TA. He felt that NU's WR were not as good as what Riley had at OSU which I found interesting. Personally I think the overall talent at WR is about as good as it has ever has been. Most the BTN guys think we have pretty good WR. He thought our linemen looked better than at OSU.

Oregon State had in Brandin Cooks the 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner and future 1st round NFL draft pick, so that's not too surprising. Our best WR just left the team.

Being better in the trenches will serve us well, but maybe this will pump the breaks a little bit on our own penchant to highly overrate NU's talent level. It's still plenty capable, though, but it should be a surprise to nobody that we'll be slugging it out with the kinds of comparably talented teams we have met with in recent years.

The QB comment is interesting, too, but not surprising. As amazed as Nebraska fans must have been to see any Husker quarterback go through progressions...those guys are young and inexperienced. If they have to play this year, there will be growing pains.

That said, this is just one outside reporter's opinion from one brief look.

Oh, I know OSU has had good WR over the years, but I just found it interesting that he said that and was fairly positive about it. I know Oregon St was only 5-7 last year, but I was actually watching some of their games on the PAC 12 network the other night. They always played hard and played pretty well for the most part they just didn't have enough talent. Even at 5-7 they still beat Arizona and Utah last year. The threw the ball a lot because they didn't have the line to run the ball.

They only beat #7 ASU and the muffaloes

That's right they lost to Utah in the last seconds. Still played very well against a pretty good team. Could have been ASU I was drinking at the time.

Why would the coaches allow a media member inside this private meeting? Bad decision

Totally agree. Don't air the dirty laundry. I don't understand why this is in any way acceptable. I have liked Riley up to this point, but this was a bad decision. He has to understand that he is not at OSU any longer. Every little thing said in the media will be picked up and analyzed, criticized and dissected. I just don't understand the idea behind letting a media member in on this stuff.

• Fire 2

We've got some pretty good WRs when everybody's healthy but I think we can upgrade as well. Oregon State has had some really good ones through the years though.

I know people like to rail on TA but it is pretty scary after him. I haven't heard many good things about the backups and Fyfe is getting a chance to be the backup despite missing most of the summer with personal issues.

Oh good lord. No names were named.

Meaning those guys don't know who they are and therefore nobody should be concerned about this.......? Or what?

I just read the whole article. I don't see anything wrong with what Riley or the staff did or said. There wasn't any "secret" information shared. The suspension info will come out eventually, and I am sure the players already know. Also, the talk about the "high-maintenance" player isn't a big deal. If anyone coaches sports, they are going to have players that are pains in the butt, or high-maintenance. The players know it and are probably even told during practice or meetings. They might not use the "high-maintenance" verbage, but probably something similar.

JJ, This ^^

Coach T, I am sure you joke around with players or their parents (it may not even be joking) by saying "Man, you have a lot of talent, but you're lazy" or "Please stop whining for one minute and just practice". There is always one or two of those guys in a group that will push a coach's buttons.

When I coached baseball last year, there were these set of twins that were very talented, but they never wanted to listen to the coaches. I told them that all the time, and I told their parents too. Their parents knew it, so it wasn't a big deal.

Ya. Actually got after one of my players today. I was talking about "why" we do one of our techniques and the first part of position drills were done with too much laziness so I finally jumped them and said to the one player hanging his head. Told him if he wanted to go take a nap, go home, but not on our field.

I also joke with them, yes about being pansy or soft or whatever. Kids laugh it off.

And this is why most of us want to quit playing for you.
  • Fire 1

Why would the coaches allow a media member inside this private meeting? Bad decision

Totally agree. Don't air the dirty laundry. I don't understand why this is in any way acceptable. I have liked Riley up to this point, but this was a bad decision. He has to understand that he is not at OSU any longer. Every little thing said in the media will be picked up and analyzed, criticized and dissected. I just don't understand the idea behind letting a media member in on this stuff.

It's not dirty laundry. It's a discussion about a player. It happens at every coaches meeting across the country.

Maybe the fans need to lighten up about the analysis, dissection, and criticism. Yes, we are passionate fans, but sometimes we border on crazy.

• Fire 3

It's not dirty laundry. It's a discussion about a player. It happens at every coaches meeting across the country.

Maybe the fans need to lighten up about the analysis, dissection, and criticism. Yes, we are passionate fans, but sometimes we border on crazy.

Very true been in many coaches meetings when personnel was discussed. Sometimes it is not very nice.

Way too soon to be getting upset about the new coaching staff being too transparent.

Sorry...you guys are right. I might be suffering from a little LowT or something. I'll try to man up a bit.

I stand corrected.

Nah it's all good. I see where you're coming from. I might not 100% agree, but I get it.

When it comes to public employees, the more transparency the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I think this is a good sign. It means these coaches aren't fooling around. Looks like accountability is a priority and being the players' "best buddy" is not high on the list. Anybody thinking there aren't some cultural aspects to this team that need too be changed, is fooling themselves. If these suspensions prove to be true, which it sounds like they are, then I'd say this is a direct reflection of this staff's standards moving forward. Sometimes you need to send a very clear message to kids this age, it's just how it is.

This is the first one I have ever seen in an article. It might happen every day, doesn't mean it has to be broadcast across the country.

• Fire 1

Totally agree with you.

NEWS FLASH: These types of discussions, yes even calling a player "high maintenance" take place all the time across the country, at all levels of football...from middle school all the way to the pros.

I think there are two legitimate questions taking place in this thread right now:

1. Should Coach Riley and the Nebraska staff have allowed a media member that type of access to one of those meetings with the permission to publish what was said in the meeting?
  2. Is a football coach doing himself, the player, or the program a disservice by describing a player as "high maintenance?"

To answer question #1: I would say give Coach Riley a break here. I think he & the staff were trying to give not just Nebraska fans, but college football fans, recruits, and parents a transparent look at how they conduct their day-to-day business. Nothing wrong with that. However, and this is where Tom Osborne was not only brilliant on the field, but also off the field...I can't think of a time when under his leadership he gave the media THAT kind of access to his program. For most of his career Osborne was a master at controlling the message about his team. He would give the media little snippets of what they craved, but would usually never divulge too much information. He would let the team's play on the field do most of the talking. So in defense of Coach Riley I don't think he was wrong to allow such access, but he and Nebraska fans need to learn that when you do allow such in-depth access, you also lose the ability to control whatever message you want to send to your team or fans.

To answer question #2: No he was not out of line or causing a disservice by calling a player high maintenance. Why? SEE ABOVE. It happens all the time, at all levels of football when coaches discuss their roster, depth chart, etc.

EDIT:

Best part of that whole article was the fact that these coaches get it when they were quoted as saying..."We need to win now."

• Fire 2

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that as well thought out, measured, and deliberate Coach Riley is in the things he says, I highly doubt he got loose-lipped and said something he didn't intend to say. He had a message, and what he wanted known is what he let be known. If not, I'd be shocked, but from what we've seen from Riley I just can't imagine it any other way.

I was pleased with the organization of the meeting. They are already discussing the 80 players that they'll likely take on the travel roster to Miami.

I liked how the position coaches were very selective at first, then had to add players to their list to get closer to the number.

Yes, playing devil's advocate, it would be nice if it was a really hard choice for the coaches to get down to their 80 number, but the depth was always an issue for Bo and his recruiting tactics were roundly criticized by leaving scholarships "on the table".

I liked hearing him mention twice calling the freshman players parents, the importance of listening to everyone's take even the nutritionist but also being in full control of the meeting.

No so hot on saying a player is high maintenance and that some 4th stringers think they're first stringers. It's one thing to get yelled at by your coach in practice it's another to read it in the paper.

All in all though the most disappointing thing is all the suspensions, that really sucks.

• Fire 1