Possible suspension? Some WR's maybe not ready?

Ok, here is my first criticism of Riley. There were a few things in that article that should not have been shared IMO. I love that he is open and genuine and basically not Bo but I don't think a few of those things should have been shared with the reporter. If you're the "high maintenance" player or the DB's that think you're doing first string great but are only 4th string caliber......I think that could start to cause some internal issues. Or, maybe it was all done on purpose with a specific end in mind.....IDK, just doesn't seem like the right way to go about some of these issues. OF course it is hard to judge too much when so many specifics were not included. Overall kind of a strange deal IMO.

I just read the whole article. I don't see anything wrong with what Riley or the staff did or said. There wasn't any "secret" information shared. The suspension info will come out eventually, and I am sure the players already know. Also, the talk about the "high-maintenance" player isn't a big deal. If anyone coaches sports, they are going to have players that are pains in the butt, or high-maintenance. The players know it and are probably even told during practice or meetings. They might not use the "high-maintenance" verbage, but probably something similar.

• Fire 3

Way too soon to be getting upset about the new coaching staff being too transparent.

+1

I am sure people like the reports from Fall Camp that everyone gets after open practices. If Riley feels comfortable enough to have open practices, he is going to be comfortable enough having a reporter that he has known for over 50 years come by and sit in on a coach's meeting. What does Riley care? What does he have to hide?

I would rather have this type of transparency, compared to a staff who keeps everything a secret and has a bunker mentality all the time.

Oh good lord. No names were named.

Meaning those guys don't know who they are and therefore nobody should be concerned about this.......? Or what?

I just read the whole article. I don't see anything wrong with what Riley or the staff did or said. There wasn't any "secret" information shared. The suspension info will come out eventually, and I am sure the players already know. Also, the talk about the "high-maintenance" player isn't a big deal. If anyone coaches sports, they are going to have players that are pains in the butt, or high-maintenance. The players know it and are probably even told during practice or meetings. They might not use the "high-maintenance" verbage, but probably something similar.

JJ, This ^^

I guess I just don't see any benefit in letting some of that come out of the staff meeting. When you manage people it is always best to deal with these personnel issues directly and head on. I can't see any good coming from printed comments about some DB's thinking they're first string and then laughing behind their backs that they're more like 4th string. Just doesn't strike me as being overly professional in this specific situation. Yes, it's a minor thing but could be the type of thing to start undermining trust and respect. I guess it just took me a little off guard because this is the very first thing I have found to complain about at all with Riley(and yes, it is very minor.....)

• Fire 3

Oh good lord. No names were named.

Meaning those guys don't know who they are and therefore nobody should be concerned about this.......? Or what?

JJ, This ^^

Coach T, I am sure you joke around with players or their parents (it may not even be joking) by saying "Man, you have a lot of talent, but you're lazy" or "Please stop whining for one minute and just practice". There is always one or two of those guys in a group that will push a coach's buttons.

When I coached baseball last year, there were these set of twins that were very talented, but they never wanted to listen to the coaches. I told them that all the time, and I told their parents too. Their parents knew it, so it wasn't a big deal.

I guess I just don't see any benefit in letting some of that come out of the staff meeting. When you manage people it is always best to deal with these personnel issues directly and head on. I can't see any good coming from printed comments about some DB's thinking they're first string and then laughing behind their backs that they're more like 4th string. Just doesn't strike me as being overly professional in this specific situation. Yes, it's a minor thing but could be the type of thing to start undermining trust and respect. I guess it just took me a little off guard because this is the very first thing I have found to complain about at all with Riley(and yes, it is very minor.....)

Without hearing the exact conversation, we don't know the context of the discussion. The DB coach could be meaning "Man, I love this kid, he is out there busting his ass like he is a starter, but he's gonna end up being 4th string."

Also, managing a college sports team is a lot different than managing a work team. The sports team coach can't be treating these kids as "equals" or "peers", like you somewhat can do in managing a work team.

Just listened to the podcast on USC of the reporter. The stuff he wrote sounded much worse in print than what he said on the radio. He actually kind of blew off the freshman LB transfering as not very likely.

I was interested to here his opinion on the team as a whole from watching practice. He thought NU was hurting at QB behind TA. He felt that NU's WR were not as good as what Riley had at OSU which I found interesting. Personally I think the overall talent at WR is about as good as it has ever has been. Most the BTN guys think we have pretty good WR. He thought our linemen looked better than at OSU.

This was a pretty good window in, in many ways.

For example it gives us a good look at how coaches try to accommodate players who really want to play. They might be well served by a redshirt year, but sometimes if they really want to get on the field, they can earn their way on special teams. Eventually, they (or we) may come to regret that (Marlon Lucky? Niles Paul?), but it's kind of up to them and that's fair.