Walk-Ons: Who Gets a Scholarship?

Mavric

Do they have to use them?

My question would be why wouldn't they use them? A few thousand bucks is a drop in the bucket for the Athletic Dept, but it means everything to the kid.

It would detract from a larger signing day class if said walk ons are underclassmen

Would it really? (I'm asking this seriously). I thought the scholarships for freshmen counted the year they started. So our recruiting class scholarships would count against 2016, right? I'm not sure how it works but that's what would make sense.

My question would be why wouldn't they use them? A few thousand bucks is a drop in the bucket for the Athletic Dept, but it means everything to the kid.

It would detract from a larger signing day class if said walk ons are underclassmen

This. ^^^

Would it really? (I'm asking this seriously). I thought the scholarships for freshmen counted the year they started. So our recruiting class scholarships would count against 2016, right? I'm not sure how it works but that's what would make sense.

Yes it would. It doesn't matter who you give it to. It takes away from the ability to sign more in 2016. By my count (first glance), Nebraska is expecting to have 19-21 scholly's available (Including Collins leaving early)? Plus 4 more if they are looking to give them to walk on's. If those walk on's are not seniors that will count against 2017 and beyond depending how old the walk on is.

EDIT: If they are gunna give them out, they should be to seniors. Unless a walk on has established to be a nice asset at a younger age.

• Fire 1

It depends on the philosophy. This staff doesn't seem opposed to giving a walk-on a scholarship for one year with the option of not renewing it the next year. Not sure how that fits in with the guaranteed scholarship deal but perhaps they are only applying that to guys who are recruited as scholarship players.

It depends on the philosophy. This staff doesn't seem opposed to giving a walk-on a scholarship for one year with the option of not renewing it the next year. Not sure how that fits in with the guaranteed scholarship deal but perhaps they are only applying that to guys who are recruited as scholarship players.

^^This. Since walk-on scholarships seem to be a year by year deal, I don't see any problem with putting a kid on scholarship for a year, with the understanding it may not be there the following year. This is why I don't mind rewarding seniors in their last semester or year in the program with scholarships, as they will be graduating within a year anyway.

There wouldnt be a problem Husk, no one was saying that. Unless it was given to a younger guy. Then it detracts having more signees in subsequent years.

If a younger guy earns a scholarship, I don't have an issue with him getting a scholarship. There are always going to be transfers and dismissals, where its nearly impossible to stay at the 85 scholarship limit entering fall camp.

There wouldnt be a problem Husk, no one was saying that. Unless it was given to a younger guy. Then it detracts having more signees in subsequent years.

If a younger guy earns a scholarship, I don't have an issue with him getting a scholarship. There are always going to be transfers and dismissals, where its nearly impossible to stay at the 85 scholarship limit entering fall camp.

I agree. If it's earned, but not just because it's available

I agree. If it's earned, but not just because it's available
I think we agree. Young guys need to "earn" them, while the seniors are ok to receive them if they are available.