Anyone else think Sam has been overly pessimistic

NUinID

Sam is not a rah rah guy when it comes to Husker football. Remember a few years ago when Sam's AP vote was the lowest in the poll for Nebraska? LINK Sam is definitely not a Kool-Aid drinker. It's almost like he takes pride in downplaying NU sometimes. :dunno

Did DaveH die? Just read through that post and i've never seen his posts.

Can confirm. Not dead.

Haha, good news!!!

He could be right, just didn't think this would be an article until October heading into conference play or at least see a game or two and not just reference practice scrimmages.

I guess that what I am getting at, instead of looking at the things that worked and I am sure there are plenty, he is only looking at the things that didn't work and saying they may have a lot of problems. It is just one sided.

I agree with you. Those things that didn't work are prolly plays that won't be called in a tight game and for now are work in progress until Tommy and the offense grow. If our front four is as good as advertised, we're not seeing the OL struggle like they do against our own until October, except maybe Miami.

Sam is not a rah rah guy when it comes to Husker football. Remember a few years ago when Sam's AP vote was the lowest in the poll for Nebraska? LINK Sam is definitely not a Kool-Aid drinker. It's almost like he takes pride in downplaying NU sometimes. :dunno

Did DaveH die? Just read through that post and i've never seen his posts.

Can confirm. Not dead.

. . . yet.

Sam's article didn't come off overly pessimistic to me, just honest. Most of what he said there is based on comments from MR as well as general understandings of how MR has operated in the past and what kind of principles a WCO is based upon. From everything I've heard, it sounds like our line isn't very good across the board and we don't have a real game changer in the backfield yet. MR and staff will just have to do the best they can with what they've got, which is why I don't have overly high expectations this year. Being experienced and being a "great" teacher, as MR is lauded for, doesn't mean there won't be growing pains.

I think Nebraska struggling offensively is very possible. However, I think we have enough talent and athletes that big play potential is always there. We can stretch the field with our wide outs and Armstrong has shown he can hit the deep ball. Our backfield is also capable of the big play too. You don't want to just rely on big plays, but that potential alone should help the offense.

If our defense can fix the tackling, they will be one of the best in the conference.

"We take too many runs with nothing there,” Riley said after Saturday’s scrimmage. He was being kind; several running plays lost yards. “You’d like to see three or four yards at least. There’s too many that are not good-looking runs.”

I posted statistics from game after game where Nebraska has 15-20 rushing plays per game last season that went for 2 yards or less, sometimes for losses, in every single game.

That's with one of the best RB's ever to step into this program.

Our offensive line has not been good and until it is, the offense will struggle. Why this is so surprising or appears to be news to anyone is really baffling. It all starts up front. Nebraska has been below average up front for a long time now.

All preseason he seems very much of the opinion that NU is really going to struggle offensively. Personally I don't think it will be a thing of beauty all the time, but I get the feeling he thinks it is going to be downright ugly.

I just I am wondering what he thinks he is seeing that he thinks is going to be so bad. From the article today he is really down on the running game IMO. I tend to think that our defense is playing a big part in why the inside run game has looked very hit or miss. I also think the pass game is rounding into shape. I believe it when MR says they are going to play to our team's strengths and do what we do well.

I just have a pretty good feeling about things this year. I don't think the offense will be hitting on all cylinders to start, but I think it will have its moments.

What do you guys think?

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-huskers-must-excel-in-other-phases-while-offense-gets/article_4a3c4cfb-3734-595b-a809-569632eccc71.html?_dc=281476131174.7134

I hate a bland running game. In a typical pro style offense, we won't see very many diversified blocking schemes in the run game. Which makes it hard to have a successful one. IMO.

A lot of people think that NU's offense is gunna look pretty similar to MSU. Which, they don't have a "GREAT" running game, again, IMO.

We totally disagree about this.

Too many times last year we were doing so much on the offensive line that half the time half the guys ended up not blocking anybody.

We need to focus more on physicality and dominating the point if attack. I'd take MSU or Wisconsin approach to the run game any day. I like Auburn as a totally different style of run game, but even their blocking schemes weren't as ridiculous as some of the stuff we were doing.

These offensive linemen also need to stop looking for the "right" guy to block, and just hit somebody when heading down field. Watch the games.......the number of times our linemen seem to let someone go right by them while they head down field looking for "that one block" that will spring the play for s big gain, its ridicukous. Just hit somebody for Gods sake.

Like the great Bobby McFarren said...Don't worry...be happy!

Fresh start

New staff

Lincoln will be a mad house

I bet there will be 130K fans down in Lincoln for that first game!

The positive atmosphere and feel is contagious (like that stuff I have growing on my junk).

It is going to be a great season.

None of us really knows, Sam included. The first team offense scored on all 5 possessions on Sat but that may not be a indictment on the defense either as a lot of guys were held out. It's a zero sum game in these scrimmages.

Our 2 DTs have made it tough on the running game and the defense is designed to take away the running game first and foremost. Partly explains the struggles there. Need to play other teams to see where we stand as obvious as that sounds.

• Fire 2

All preseason he seems very much of the opinion that NU is really going to struggle offensively. Personally I don't think it will be a thing of beauty all the time, but I get the feeling he thinks it is going to be downright ugly.

I just I am wondering what he thinks he is seeing that he thinks is going to be so bad. From the article today he is really down on the running game IMO. I tend to think that our defense is playing a big part in why the inside run game has looked very hit or miss. I also think the pass game is rounding into shape. I believe it when MR says they are going to play to our team's strengths and do what we do well.

I just have a pretty good feeling about things this year. I don't think the offense will be hitting on all cylinders to start, but I think it will have its moments.

What do you guys think?

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-huskers-must-excel-in-other-phases-while-offense-gets/article_4a3c4cfb-3734-595b-a809-569632eccc71.html?_dc=281476131174.7134

I hate a bland running game. In a typical pro style offense, we won't see very many diversified blocking schemes in the run game. Which makes it hard to have a successful one. IMO.

A lot of people think that NU's offense is gunna look pretty similar to MSU. Which, they don't have a "GREAT" running game, again, IMO.

Too many times last year we were doing so much on the offensive line that half the time half the guys ended up not blocking anybody.

We need to focus more on physicality and dominating the point if attack. I'd take MSU or Wisconsin approach to the run game any day. I like Auburn as a totally different style of run game, but even their blocking schemes weren't as ridiculous as some of the stuff we were doing.

These offensive linemen also need to stop looking for the "right" guy to block, and just hit somebody when heading down field. Watch the games.......the number of times our linemen seem to let someone go right by them while they head down field looking for "that one block" that will spring the play for s big gain, its ridicukous. Just hit somebody for Gods sake.

I totally get that. I hate it when players have to think, but it's not hard to throw Trap/Wham concepts in their along with some counters.

What do you guys think?

I totally get that. I hate it when players have to think, but it's not hard to throw Trap/Wham concepts in their along with some counters.

If you don't think MSU runs traps and counters than you really aren't watching the games.

"We take too many runs with nothing there,” Riley said after Saturday’s scrimmage. He was being kind; several running plays lost yards. “You’d like to see three or four yards at least. There’s too many that are not good-looking runs.”

I posted statistics from game after game where Nebraska has 15-20 rushing plays per game last season that went for 2 yards or less, sometimes for losses, in every single game.

That's with one of the best RB's ever to step into this program.

Our offensive line has not been good and until it is, the offense will struggle. Why this is so surprising or appears to be news to anyone is really baffling. It all starts up front. Nebraska has been below average up front for a long time now.

And you continue to insist that pointing out a few plays here and there is proof of your narrative.

Here are a set of runs from a team last year:

Game 4 - Runs of 2,-2,-2,2,2,0,-2,0,3,1,2,-1,2,-3,-4,-5,1

Game 5 - Runs of 1,2,2,2,2,2,-8,2,2,-3,2,2,2,0

Game 11 - 0,0,-1,1,1,1,-2,-3,-3,-3,1,1,2,0,1,-1,-12,-2,2,-1

Game 12 - 1,2,-2,1,2,2,1,1,2,2,2,0,-1,2,1,1,-3,2

Game 13 - 2,2,1,2,1,-1,2,1,1,0,0,1,0,-1,1,0,-1,1,-1,0

So that's five games - and I didn't look through their entire schedule - where this team had 15-20 runs that went for two yards or less, sometimes even for losses, in every single game.

That team was Georgia Tech. They averaged 6.1 yards per carry for the year and led the nation in rushing.

So did their offensive line struggle as well?