The Blackshirts are back

knapplc

It's really a crying shame that some former players and many fans don't understand the black shirt tradition, what it really means, and how/when/why they were distributed,

While I agree with you about how the Blackshirts should be handed out, I disagree that others are "wrong". Especially the former players who actually were Blackshirts. I don't see how you can possibly call them "wrong". It's all opinion, and the guys who actually wore the jerseys count WAY more heavily in my book.

• Fire 2

It's really a crying shame that some former players and many fans don't understand the black shirt tradition, what it really means, and how/when/why they were distributed,

While I agree with you about how the Blackshirts should be handed out, I disagree that others are "wrong". Especially the former players who actually were Blackshirts. I don't see how you can possibly call them "wrong". It's all opinion, and the guys who actually wore the jerseys count WAY more heavily in my book.
Well said, RD.

Well said, RD.

No, not well said.

Read the last sentences of what JJHusker wrote.

He already said it all pretty well up there. ^^

• Fire 2

Gangwish seems like he could bee that ever-elusive vocal leader we've been looking for the last decade or so.

He's been that guy for awhile now.

Glad to see people recognizing Gangwish. I've always liked him and respected the guy for what he brings to the team. We need a few like him.

He's gonna prove some doubters wrong on the field this year too I think.

I tried, unsuccessfully apparently, to give some leeway to the Pelini players who did it a different way. Bo did not do it the traditional way and from that point of view it was wrong, traditionally wrong. But I will cut those guys some slack because it was managed differently under Bo and they never had the opportunity to do it the traditional way. It was just a completely different animal the way Bo did it. So, that may not be the "wrong" way for those guys but it most definitely was not the traditional way. And IMO a tradition isn't much of a tradition if you don't do it in a traditional manner. Pretty self explanatory if you think about it. I don't blame those guys for not understanding the tradition, but let's be clear, they don't understand it. How could they?

• Fire 1

I think people have different definitions of the Blackshirt Tradition. I could see the two as: 1) the practice of having the starters/top players on D wearing the black practice jersey to show which guys are part of the top unit. 2) a great, dominating defense on the field on gamedays.

Bo may not have had the same way of handing out the Blackshirts in the definition 1, but he had teams that played to the Blackshirt tradition under definition 2. I am not saying which definition is the "best" definition, but I think it's silly to say that Bo's players didn't understand what the Blackshirt Tradition is. The Blackshirt Tradition probably has different definitions to different players, fans, and coaches.

I tried, unsuccessfully apparently, to give some leeway to the Pelini players who did it a different way. Bo did not do it the traditional way and from that point of view it was wrong, traditionally wrong. But I will cut those guys some slack because it was managed differently under Bo and they never had the opportunity to do it the traditional way. It was just a completely different animal the way Bo did it. So, that may not be the "wrong" way for those guys but it most definitely was not the traditional way. And IMO a tradition isn't much of a tradition if you don't do it in a traditional manner. Pretty self explanatory if you think about it. I don't blame those guys for not understanding the tradition, but let's be clear, they don't understand it. How could they?

By that logic, there shouldn't be "Blackshirts" since the traditional (aka older) way was not having black practice jerseys. And having video of the guys receiving their Blackshirts is something that's brand new. Is that traditional? Are the jerseys following the tradition if they've got stripes and logos on them instead of the original pain black? Is it less of a tradition if they change some part of it?

Regardless of how we want to couch the argument, it's still just an opinion over which way of handing out the Blackshirts is best.

I prefer the method of handing out the Blackshirts to the top unit like it is being done this year

I just think it's crazy to judge the opinions of former players who upheld the "Blackshirt Tradition" of being a dominating defense. If this year's defense totally sucked, would they be better examples of the Blackshirt Tradition, just because they were given black practice jerseys on August 31st?

• Fire 1

By that logic, there shouldn't be "Blackshirts" since the traditional (aka older) way was not having black practice jerseys. And having video of the guys receiving their Blackshirts is something that's brand new. Is that traditional? Are the jerseys following the tradition if they've got stripes and logos on them instead of the original pain black? Is it less of a tradition if they change some part of it?

Regardless of how we want to couch the argument, it's still just an opinion over which way of handing out the Blackshirts is best.

tumblr_inline_mwukapBxcM1rngl1l.gif

• Fire 1

No, the problem is you are ignoring the "tradition" part of the deal. Personally, I no longer care about the blackshirt tradition. I've seen too many poor defenses to really care one way or the other. I realize that is not what it means but my personal preferencell would be that we field a dominate defense, I don't care what nickname that unit may have. But my whole point has been how the Blackshirts were treated traditionally. I don't think some of you know the meaning of the word so here;

Tradition: a way of thinking, behaving, or doing something that has been used by the people in a particular group, family, society, etc., for a long time

: the stories, beliefs, etc., that have been part of the culture of a group of people for a long time.

a :an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom)

To my understanding traditions don't morph or change over time. Things sure can change but then they are no longer traditional. That has been my point all along. The way Pelini treated the blackshirts was not the traditional way. We can have all kinds of opinions if that is good or bad but it is not debatable that his way was not the traditional way.

BTW, the blackshirts started when they picked up black practice jerseys. Not sure what your point is about older times, before they had black jerseys.... Seems like you're just trying to be argumentative.

• Fire 3

Here's the thing, there has been really big disconnect between the program and the former players since Solich was fired. From stories I've heard, there are many former Callahan players that are/were kinda alienated or alienated themselves. Some Bo guys are going to be disconnected too. The thing I like, whether i agree or disagree, is that former players are more vocal publicly about the program. I hope that continues and isn't just because of a new coach, but that alumni hold the current players to high standards.

• Fire 1

Let me expand.

I never once heard a story of Bo or the other non-Husker guys embrace the tradition and share it with the players. The way Riley and staff are embracing traditions of past when we were dominant is huge. It's what makes nebraska, nebraska. Nebraska doesn't have a whole lot, i hear comments like that all the time when I'm traveling, especially where I grew up in the PNW. That's why scholarship athletes get excited for their blackshirts, that's a sales pitch in their living room, and walk on nebraska kids like gangwish get emotional because their whole lives were spent dreaming about putting a blackshirt on. The more connection there is, the more pride these players will have.

If there is an award for offseason winners, I don't know how Riley and crew couldn't be in the running. It means nothing on the field, but it's a better story to read about than stupid drama like the past.

• Fire 3

No, the problem is you are ignoring the "tradition" part of the deal. Personally, I no longer care about the blackshirt tradition. I've seen too many poor defenses to really care one way or the other. I realize that is not what it means but my personal preferencell would be that we field a dominate defense, I don't care what nickname that unit may have. But my whole point has been how the Blackshirts were treated traditionally. I don't think some of you know the meaning of the word so here;

Tradition: a way of thinking, behaving, or doing something that has been used by the people in a particular group, family, society, etc., for a long time

: the stories, beliefs, etc., that have been part of the culture of a group of people for a long time.

a :an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom)

To my understanding traditions don't morph or change over time. Things sure can change but then they are no longer traditional. That has been my point all along. The way Pelini treated the blackshirts was not the traditional way. We can have all kinds of opinions if that is good or bad but it is not debatable that his way was not the traditional way.

BTW, the blackshirts started when they picked up black practice jerseys. Not sure what your point is about older times, before they had black jerseys.... Seems like you're just trying to be argumentative.

Although I agree with everything you are saying, this whole notion that the blackshirts as a stingy, hard-nosed defense is in the national media as well. How many times have you heard during games the announcers saying a certain performance doesn't live up to the blackshirt name, even calling it the pinkshirts at times? The fact that these players heard about it not only from their coach, but from the media as well, I can see where they got this logic and are so convinced that this is the way it was.