"Woman sues OSU, ex-head football coach Mike Riley, says her 1999 rape occurred in 'sexually violent culture'"

Riley statement:

http://www.cornnation.com/2015/9/2/9247729/nebraska-huskers-news-mike-riley-statement-oregon-state-title-ix-lawsuit

"Yesterday, I was made aware of a complaint filed in the State of Oregon concerning a previously unknown incident to me in October 1999. I cannot comment on any matter in the legal process. However, I am committed to a harassment-free culture in our football program and I am continually seeking ways to expand our student education program. Sexual assault is a horrendous crime and has no place in our society."

Any occurrence of sexual assault is incredibly unfortunate and should never occur.

That being said, there is absolutely no correlation between the sexual assault that happened in 1998 and the sexual assault that happened in 1999, and her claim is essentially stating that the former caused the latter.

Mike Riley, upon hearing of the sexual assault in 1998, immediately suspended the alleged players from all team activities--that is about all that he could have done. When the charges were dropped, Riley reinstated the players, who still served a one-game suspension. Given the information that was available to him, Riley did all that he could to ensure the right thing was done, for both parties involved. I don't know how he falls under the claim of failing to correct a hostile and sexually violent culture among football players.

If the investigation into the first incident wasn't thorough enough, then that's negligence on the part of the university and not Mike Riley.

It seems like her real issue should be with the first woman. If Brenda Tracy had pursued criminal charges then Riley probably could have kept them off of the team until the case went to trial. The one game suspension probably makes sense- in 1998. With all the attention these cases are getting recently, Riley could impose a much harsher penalty and would be expected to. Since he left shortly after, I'm not sure how much he could really change the culture.

If Riley could have done more, and didn't, then for all his nice intentions he should be held accountable for a mistake. That might be a tough case to make, but, let the legal process play out there.

Broadly speaking, it seems awfully tough for victims to get justice, especially when a big enterprise like college football is involved.

If Riley could have done more, and didn't, then for all his nice intentions he should be held accountable for a mistake. That might be a tough case to make, but, let the legal process play out there.

Broadly speaking, it seems awfully tough for victims to get justice, especially when a big enterprise like college football is involved.

and nearly 17 years, not to mention him not working at the school during the alleged rape occurring, nor was it a football player under his control as the article states she believes it's a cousin of the football player.

• Fire 2

Yeah. I always wait 16 years to purse sexual abuse charges. You got let these fester for a few years.

For some odd reason I can't get Kane west "gold digger" song put of my head now.

When it comes to sexual assault and rape cases, I will never question how long it takes to come forward to press charges. Different people handle trauma differently; some people try to repress it and go on about their lives normally only to realize that their life really hasn't been normal since that day.

• Fire 2

Unless there was an obvious culture present (multiple offenses with no punishments or addressing of those offenses), I don't think you can really hold anyone but the offender himself responsible. In this situation, I don't see what Riley could've done.

This is why sexual assault is such a terrible thing. Truth be told, there really is no "justice" for the victims, because it can't be undone. Sadly some people choose to play on the emotional trauma left behind and claim that they suffer from it as a way to extort money out of innocent people. That's why it's so hard for actual victims to get any sort of recompense.

Yeah. I always wait 16 years to purse sexual abuse charges. You got let these fester for a few years.

For some odd reason I can't get Kane west "gold digger" song put of my head now.

When it comes to sexual assault and rape cases, I will never question how long it takes to come forward to press charges. Different people handle trauma differently; some people try to repress it and go on about their lives normally only to realize that their life really hasn't been normal since that day.

It seems odd that she was able to bring it up to a therapist as quickly as she did but not go any further in terms of opening up about it to people in a position to do something about it. I don't know what happened, and it's a terrible situation for everybody involved regardless of whether she's being truthful or not, but I'm just going off of my own thought process on the matter.

and nearly 17 years, not to mention him not working at the school during the alleged rape occurring, nor was it a football player under his control as the article states she believes it's a cousin of the football player.

wow

Sounds like she doesn't have a leg to stand on. Just another case of murky details. Girl goes to party, drinks, wakes up and can't remember anything. Plus this doesn't sound like something Riley would directly have control over.

Riley has fairly deep pockets though, so that makes him an easy target.

yes. Especially at this shiny new job, with his pretty much doubled salary, at a place where its been made clear that even a random 9 month old tweet can cost you your job.