My oath this football season....

mwj98

I'm fairly surprised by some of these responses. I've changed in a similar way, but more so about my NFL team.

Perhaps it is because I followed them for much longer. I watched 60 games straight without missing a play. Anything someone would say would piss me off. Then I just had enough with the disappointments and said screw it two seasons ago. (The streak was in about 2004-whatever) then of course last season they had a great year and I just said whatever happens happens. I think it is just my overly competitiveness. Because when they said Dez's catch was a no catch, it was the first time I went ballistic all season and it pretty much ruined my day.

Now, with the huskers I'm pretty much ballistic all game. Perhaps it's because I didn't really start following them until about 10 years ago.

I'm also surprised by the lack of drinkers. I know this is off topic, but what's the key to that for you guys? How come you haven't drank or don't drink? Just curious is all...

To me, it has nothing to do with disappointments. Heck, even though we haven't had a great team in the last 10 years, I have still enjoyed the games and team.

I guess to me it's more of a maturity thing. I enjoy the process more and realize the win at the end is just the cherry on top. If I don't get the cherry on top, I might be disappointed but it's not going to ruin the fun I had with the rest of the game and process.

And, it's sure as heck not going to affect the rest of my day to day life.

And, yes...I am a fanatic. Anyone who knows me knows I love the Huskers and bleed red and will talk about them to anyone who wants to talk about them.

I think my years as a coach on the sideline helped mellow me out. I was Nebraska football crazy 24/7 when I was younger.

I still get real excited on game day, I still have my little routine. But I watch the game, scream when I need to scream, cheer when I need to cheer and feel sad when it doesn't go the way I want it to.

But after the game, regardless of the outcome, life goes on as normal.

Except for the Iowa game. I hate Iowa. I'll harass family members for days after a Husker win and throat punch them after a loss.

I think my years as a coach on the sideline helped mellow me out. I was Nebraska football crazy 24/7 when I was younger.

I still get real excited on game day, I still have my little routine. But I watch the game, scream when I need to scream, cheer when I need to cheer and feel sad when it doesn't go the way I want it to.

But after the game, regardless of the outcome, life goes on as normal.

Except for the Iowa game. I hate Iowa. I'll harass family members for days after a Husker win and throat punch them after a loss.

+1

I agree with all the posts......It's funny. I have also eliminated the drinking, with the exception of gamedays. One sip, two sip and a Jordan Westerkamp spectacular hail mary catch later, I'm toast.

In all honesty, Over the past 10+ years, we have all been sober due to the performance of our team. Some good years, some jacked up. I haven't posted anything about the new staff, but I have noticed something. It seems like Riley has brought a calm over the program. Professional mentality. Something we have lacked for quite some time .

I am anxious for the season. I think people will be surprised at what happens with this team. We were so fundamentally unsound over the past few years, it was mind boggling. Like everyone has said, it comes down to the blocking and tackling. Simple.

Here is to a great season....these kids, the fan base, the university and the state need it.

GBR!

While we are talking about being a fan. I have a question. Some people just absolutely can not stand (hate) other teams fans who are fanatic about their team. Why? Isn't that what sports is all about and if everyone love the same team wouldn't that be boring?

But, there are those people who if they are around people who love their team as much as they love the Huskers, it just drives them crazy.

I have never understood that.

While we are talking about being a fan. I have a question. Some people just absolutely can not stand (hate) other teams fans who are fanatic about their team. Why? Isn't that what sports is all about and if everyone love the same team wouldn't that be boring?

But, there are those people who if they are around people who love their team as much as they love the Huskers, it just drives them crazy.

I don't like fans from other teams that try to talk smack about the Huskers when their team is absolutely terrible (Colorado)

Other than that, I don't care if someone is up on their team or cheers for them next to me, but if your team is likely to go 2-10 this year, just STFU :lol:

I don't like fans from other teams that try to talk smack about the Huskers when their team is absolutely terrible (Colorado)

Other than that, I don't care if someone is up on their team or cheers for them next to me, but if your team is likely to go 2-10 this year, just STFU :lol:

The thing is, this is the glory time of the year for CU. Their team has done the best they're going to do over the past several months. But now football season is starting. You won't hear a peep out of them in about six weeks, when they're 1-5. Or worse. :lol:

I just can't stand people that are insufferably obnoxious about it. I love people that are fired up and passionate and having a great time - I want to be around people like that, from their team or mine. What drives me nuts is when they grandstand and turn everything into a "haha my team is better" trope and generally try to be intentional about showing off their fandom. No thanks.

I'm also surprised by the lack of drinkers. I know this is off topic, but what's the key to that for you guys? How come you haven't drank or don't drink? Just curious is all...

A few reasons. Being a Christian the Bible has some stuff to say about drunkenness which I find to be good advice. I also grew up with a pretty negative experience involving alcohol in the form of an alcoholic parent, which made me hate it for a long time (the fact that I really enjoy drinking at all is more surprising), and I also like being in control of myself, and being able to hold onto memories.

I just can't stand people that are insufferably obnoxious about it. I love people that are fired up and passionate and having a great time - I want to be around people like that, from their team or mine. What drives me nuts is when they grandstand and turn everything into a "haha my team is better" trope and generally try to be intentional about showing off their fandom. No thanks.

A few reasons. Being a Christian the Bible has some stuff to say about drunkenness which I find to be good advice. I also grew up with a pretty negative experience involving alcohol in the form of an alcoholic parent, which made me hate it for a long time (the fact that I really enjoy drinking at all is more surprising), and I also like being in control of myself, and being able to hold onto memories.

Gotcha. How old are you by the way?

See, after I was born, my parents never drank and especially not in front of me until I was about 18. So I never had an experience that would really turn me off on the idea. I understand that the bible has some things to say about that and I don't really have an answer to that.

Gotcha. How old are you by the way?

See, after I was born, my parents never drank and especially not in front of me until I was about 18. So I never had an experience that would really turn me off on the idea. I understand that the bible has some things to say about that and I don't really have an answer to that.

26. I never drank once before turning 21, because I spent all of that time absolutely despising alcohol. Never went to parties or lived the typical high school or college kid experience because I hated it so much and I refused to be around people I cared about when they were drinking.

I slowly came around and now I seriously love drinking, but have never been beyond the legal limit as far as I can tell. Just never had a desire to - I'm perfectly content with the amount of enjoyment I get out of things sober. I've always been the guy that friends always joke about being drunk because of my personality and enthusiasm :)