Almost everything I saw seemed very positive...

teachercd

I agree with your assessment for the most part. I thought our defensive line was much better than their offensive line, but I think I have a different idea of what constitutes a QB hurry.

The first half we got absolutely no meaningful pressure on any passing play. We sent 4 every play, and they didn't get there. Second half, whatever they did, worked great. We were in the backfield a lot after that.

Upon further review I have determined this is correct.

Now that I've recovered from the shock of the loss, yes there were many positives in the game. I thought Tommy improved immensely in the passing game. I think our RB's will be fine. Our OL has some work to do and I think our coaches need to rotate some more OL into the game, especially since they are not world beaters. Our defense showed signs of life, intermittently. However our DL was not all it was billed to be, hopefully this turns out to be because BYU was THAT good but I'm not sole on that yet. Our DB's did fair I think and they had a big job covering those freakishly tall wr's. I see no hope in our FG kicking game unless they find another kicker on the roster.

I am going to have to watch this offense some more before I am a believer. It seemed like a very remedial playbook that might be easy to defend once a team realizes they are only running a handful of plays. I started out liking the jet sweeps and screens but when I realized that's all they were running, I started to get a little concerned. Maybe they will install more offense and wrinkles as they go. I know, I'm being fickle, Beck had them doing too much without being good at anything and now I'm complaining that maybe they aren't doing enough. I did like very much though that they made adjustments at halftime and came out and turned things around. That was new aND different for a change.

1. Armstrong looked really solid. I think he looked even better than most of us expected.

My theory on this is that his accuracy has improved so noticeably because we're no longer wasting a huge chunk of practice hours practicing the zone read and option. What an amazing concept...have a QB who's really more of a "run first" guy actually work exclusively on his passing game.

Clearly, we have an offensive coordinator who knows how to coach a QB. I love our offense under Riley; it's everything I hoped it would be. We just didn't have great run blocking. If we did have, that game would have been a lock yesterday.

I like this offense.

I was surprised by how so many new guys jumped in there like they'd been at it for years. I think the d-line will need help with creative blitzing in order to get pressure. I guess I was most impressed with Alonzo Moore who seemed to find his groove and Gangwish whose motor doesn't seem to ever slow down.

I was surprised by how so many new guys jumped in there like they'd been at it for years. I think the d-line will need help with creative blitzing in order to get pressure. I guess I was most impressed with Alonzo Moore who seemed to find his groove and Gangwish whose motor doesn't seem to ever slow down.

Yeah some of the Freshmen looked really damn good for never playing a down.

Exciting game. Except in the 2nd quarter when it as PASS, PASS, PASS, I thought it was a well called game.

Good receivers, Tommy gets comfortable with new offense and hitting those short passes, it will work out fine.

I like the Wilbon, Newby, Cross mix in the backfeild. Except for one big loss, Wilbon looked good. Imani looked good. Newby had flashes.

Run defense looked better, and what can you say about those BYU tall guys? Give the nod to BYU, they pulled it out. 3 out of 4, we beat those guys.

1st game with a new coach, and the huskernation is all panic mode. Riley seems to know what he is doing. And he stayed CALM.

Plus, no cat. I liked it.

Both lines played better than I expected.

Receivers did better than I expected.

Wilbon is a great surprise.

Armstrong played a good game overall.

The defensive backs did much better than I expected overall.

Tackling was pretty good most of the time except for Gangwish in the backfield chasing the QB.

We have a line that failed on two 3rd & 1s when we really needed it. Play calls on those two plays???

Armstrong is not a great passing QB- mechanics and decision times.

Armstrong is a fantastic runner and should have run more.

I expect Nebraska to have a great power run game and I did not see it.

We gave up 511 yards. That is not good no matter what positives you see.

Field goal kicking is bad.

The defensive line kept the pressure up but with few sacks and often did not maintain their lanes allowing the QB many first downs.