Almost everything I saw seemed very positive...

teachercd

Wasn't just us, even Speilman noticed how much the defense improved with tackling. I thought our linebackers played well. Actually the front six (or seven) reacted quickly to the ball and played fast. It wasn't perfect, but I was impressed with our run defense and it should get better with each game - especially when Rose-Ivey returns. That (run defense) will be huge when we see WIS MINN MSU NW etc.

BYU did nice job of getting rid of the ball quickly. Those taller WRs helped them out, but there were several perfect throws made by Hill (and Magnum). My hats off to them.

I agree with Teach - our receivers played a nice game. Westy, Moore, Reilly, Hovey, Morgan...

Tommy was inconsistent, but looked real sharp early on and in the fourth. Timing was exact and he got rid of it quickly. Pass protection wasn't too good. The heavy pressure in Tommy's face affected those plays negatively.

I liked Newby and Wilbon. After South Alabama I hope we settle on those two. There is room for Imani - especially late when defenses aren't as fresh and he can get some steam.

Missed DPE as a return weapon and for jet sweeps. Moore did okay, Turner not so much. I'd rather see Morgan get those touches on the jet, and hopefully see more of him on pass plays too.

Kicking, offensive line, and DEnds did not impress me. They made some nice plays at times, but overall, work needs to be done.

• Fire 2

The first half by the defense wasn't very good, but we had some pretty young players out there. The second quarter by the offense was just brutal. The reason Armstrong appeared inconsistent was because he just didn't have much time at all in the second quarter to complete anything. Adjustments were made, and we came out at halftime ready to strap it up and play. OL made adjustments, and we played much better most of the time in the second half. The one position I'm probably the most disappointed in was the fullback play. I'm still trying to figure out where the lead blocking and picking up the blitz went there. Overall, I thought we played a pretty good game. This was probably one of the toughest opening games we've played in quite some time. BYU definitely posed some difficult challenges. I think more than anything the coaching staff has a lot better feel for what we have and what we need to do to get better. We will definitely see improvement as the season goes on.

O-line is new with new assignments once that is fixed, Tommy will have more time. seen more positive yesterday then negative.

It's not only that our O-line starters were new, BYU plays a complicated defense switching between three- and four-man fronts and blitzing from everywhere. That would have been tough on any O-line and is one of the reasons their defense has a reputation for being tough to play.

I agree our line will get better. Besides Alex Lewis, who is good for one False Start and one Holding Penalty per game, the other four starters have a combined 6 college starts.

I agree with your assessment for the most part. I thought our defensive line was much better than their offensive line, but I think I have a different idea of what constitutes a QB hurry.

The first half we got absolutely no meaningful pressure on any passing play. We sent 4 every play, and they didn't get there. Second half, whatever they did, worked great. We were in the backfield a lot after that.

I agree with your assessment for the most part. I thought our defensive line was much better than their offensive line, but I think I have a different idea of what constitutes a QB hurry.

The first half we got absolutely no meaningful pressure on any passing play. We sent 4 every play, and they didn't get there. Second half, whatever they did, worked great. We were in the backfield a lot after that.

Could be. It's possible I was drunker in the second half than the first.

Tommy Armstrong and the recievers played great.

Intentional grounding, the botch with Wilbon and inability to pick up 3rd and 1 qualify as a little less than "great".

I didn't say they played perfectly. But compared to last year, Armstrong was hitting recievers and they were CATCHING the balls. It looked pretty grim in that second quarter, and tbh I had flashbacks to last year, but Tommy recovered his composure and played well in the second half.

I kept thinking how it was imperative to get into the locker room as soon as possible during that stretch in the 2nd qtr. Glad we kept it to only 24-14, could have easily been 31-14. I had a feeling NU would come out after halftime with some adjustments and play well. They did, only allowing a field goal, till the very last play.

The staff did what they needed to do, it just didn't account for a hail mary at the end. I was happy to see NU basically win the game in the second half. I wouldn't have watched the 2nd half if it was Pelini coaching.

• Fire 1

I'm waiting to hear from the experts on this, but my impression was our D-line was trying to contain Taysom Hill as a run threat. So rather than rushing in and leaving gaps, they just sorta held their contain and tried to get pressure from there. Once Taysom went out, and also I think because he was beating us with his arm, NU had to change it up. It probably helped that Hill went out. If you think about those times the backup was running around in the backfield throwing passes, Hill probably would have run for decent gains on many of those.

Tommy Armstrong and the recievers played great.

Intentional grounding, the botch with Wilbon and inability to pick up 3rd and 1 qualify as a little less than "great".

I didn't say they played perfectly. But compared to last year, Armstrong was hitting recievers and they were CATCHING the balls. It looked pretty grim in that second quarter, and tbh I had flashbacks to last year, but Tommy recovered his composure and played well in the second half.

I kept thinking how it was imperative to get into the locker room as soon as possible during that stretch in the 2nd qtr. Glad we kept it to only 24-14, could have easily been 31-14. I had a feeling NU would come out after halftime with some adjustments and play well. They did, only allowing a field goal, till the very last play.

The staff did what they needed to do, it just didn't account for a hail mary at the end. I was happy to see NU basically win the game in the second half. I wouldn't have watched the 2nd half if it was Pelini coaching.

That second quarter was like stormclouds moved in. It was eerie. It felt like another collapse- the kind we've suffered too often in the past several years. I was almost shocked we came back from 10 down to take a 28-24 lead. I agree that although there are clearly things to work on, the team had done one miracle play shy of enough to win. That really sucks.

I am very optimistic about the rest of the season as long as the team continues to get better each week- something I believe they will do, but something that seemed to be lacking the last few years.

• Fire 1

I think any spread team we play, this defense will struggle (Illinois won't be pretty). The coverage just wasn't very good on most of the passing plays, and it was even more evident with the lack of a pass rush. However, I'm feeling pretty good against teams like Minnesota, Wisconsin, & Iowa. I think this defense is setup to stop teams with a run first type of offense.