Why We Could Not Convert 3rd and Short Late in the Game

Well, can't remember if it was the last 3rd down muff or not, but they tried the fly sweep thing just like Beck did late in the bowl game last year--which also got stuffed--and I think that's a crappy call when you have 3rd and short, i.e., 2 down territory. GO NORTH AND SOUTH for the love of Mary...!!!

Overall, I liked what I saw from Langsdorf's/Riley's offense design and play calling, though.

From the impression that was given from the spring through fall camp they were going to rotate a lot of players on the lines. For some reason that went out the window. The ability to rotate guys off the line is what Riley himself said separated a team like Nebraska from a team like Oregon St. Maybe he changed his tune after evaluating the players. This makes me think we are very thin talent wise on the OL.

I really didn't like the play call on that last 3rd and 1. I understand why they did it, because we'd gotten positive yardage out of it all night, but that's a tough time to call it.

Fly sweeps only seem, in my experience, to work well in the middle of a drive that is flowing well, on a quick 2nd and 6 or something like that. I rarely seem them get anything on plays where there's plenty of dead time beforehand.

I really didn't like the play call on that last 3rd and 1. I understand why they did it, because we'd gotten positive yardage out of it all night, but that's a tough time to call it.

Fly sweeps only seem, in my experience, to work well in the middle of a drive that is flowing well, on a quick 2nd and 6 or something like that. I rarely seem them get anything on plays where there's plenty of dead time beforehand.

I agree. Didn't we fail to convert against USC on the last (real) drive because of a fly sweep with DPE?

I agree. Didn't we fail to convert against USC on the last (real) drive because of a fly sweep with DPE?

Yep. 4th and 5 and he got stopped about two yards short or so when he tried turning it up field quick.

Didn't like the timeout call before the hail mary either.

I don't understand why we rotate the DL but not the OL.

This is very common in the NFL. Not saying that makes it right or wrong, just that it's rare for a starter to come out unless he's injured or just getting benched, and defensive line players are rotated much more frequently.

My guess is it's easier to get gassed playing dline, and offensive lines tend to gel better as one cohesive unit instead of rotating guys in and out.

It is a very young line that needs the experience. This was the lineup yesterday along with their career starts:

LT - Alex Lewis (14)

LG - Dylan Utter (2)

C - Ryan Reeves (2)

RG - Chongo Kondolo (1)

RT - Nick Gates (1)

I totally get the arguments for having a rotation, and I agree with it as it pertains to the heat yesterday. But so much of what comes from having a dominating offensive line is by being comfortable and having a chemistry with the man playing next to you. Judging by who our best 5 are and their total career starts, it only made sense that they played all game yesterday. It will be a positive for them and Nebraska as we move forward into the season.

• Fire 1

I don't understand why we rotate the DL but not the OL.

This is very common in the NFL. Not saying that makes it right or wrong, just that it's rare for a starter to come out unless he's injured or just getting benched, and defensive line players are rotated much more frequently.

My guess is it's easier to get gassed playing dline, and offensive lines tend to gel better as one cohesive unit instead of rotating guys in and out.

Yup. This has been a known thing about Riley's staff since the spring. It's how they do it.

I'm not saying the same thing is going to happen... but look at Ohio State's OL at the beginning of last year, and the end.