Injury updates

I'm not trying to say that we haven't had at least our share of injuries and probably a few more. But it's not exactly uncommon either.

Football, by its very nature, is a physically demanding game, and injuries will always be part of the equation. But what has transpired this season at Wisconsin might leave some fans believing their team has been the victim of some heinous curse.

On Monday, Wisconsin coach Paul Chryst announced center Dan Voltz would miss the remainder of the season because of a right knee injury sustained Saturday in the third quarter against Illinois. Wide receiver Rob Wheelwright suffered a leg injury in the same quarter, and Chryst said there was an "outside chance" he would be able to return in time for the end of the season.
The news is a difficult blow for the Badgers, whose infirmary list has grown enough, it seems, that they could fill a depth chart with injured players.
Running back Corey Clement hasn't played since the season opener against Alabama after undergoing sports hernia surgery, and his status for this week's game against Rutgers is unknown. Backup tailback Taiwan Deal suffered a high ankle sprain against Nebraska, missed last week's game against Illinois and could be out again this week.
Starting tight end Austin Traylor is likely out another month after sustaining an arm injury against Iowa on Oct. 3. Linebacker Leon Jacobs is out for the season with a toe injury. And Chryst confirmed Monday that he doesn't expect guard Ray Ball or tackle Hayden Biegel to return this season because of injuries. Both were expected to be starters before the season -- meaning Wisconsin finished last week's game without seven projected offensive starters.
Quarterback Joel Stave was still going through the team's concussion protocol Monday after suffering a head injury in the first quarter against Illinois. It appears he could be on track to play this week.

Link

We better hope that Chris Jones can go or we burn the redshirt of either Lee or Anderson?

This article is a little confusing as Riley and Banker aren't saying the same thing.

On top of that, Riley said sophomore corner Chris Jones was listed as questionable with a neck injury he suffered against the Wildcats. Jones was further examined on Monday, and he was in a jersey and running full speed during the Huskers' helmets-only walk-thru practice.

Even so, should Jones be forced to miss any time Nebraska would left with sophomore Joshua Kalu and senior Daniel Davie, who just returned last week after missing the past four games with a groin injury, as the two starting cornerbacks. Behind them, Riley said redshirt freshman Trai Mosley - who has not played a single down at cornerback all season - would be the top backup.

"Trai Mosley is probably that next guy up," Riley said. "Fortunately Daniel Davie was healthy last week. Trai was ready to play as his backup. So that would be, in that group, including Daniel and Josh Kalu with Trai, that would kind of be our depth right there. Obviously the nickel situation is thin. We're hoping Chris is going to be OK."

The later in the article...

However, if Jones can't go, Banker said the next step would likely be burning the redshirt of one of NU's true freshmen cornerbacks, Eric Lee or Avery Anderson.

"We'd probably have to burn a shirt off somebody," Banker said. "Hopefully it doesn't get down to that."

https://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1818302

Am I missing something? Shouldn't we have several guys left?

I haven't heard about Charles Jackson recently. Is he still hurt? Has Kieron Williams even seen the field on defense this year? He made a bunch of plays last year. Is Boaz Joseph so bad that he couldn't even get us through one game against a bad team? He's been playing on special teams. Antonio Reed has played on special teams quite a bit. We can't have any of these guys fill in as a Nickel for a game?

Just seems like there should be more options before we get to burning redshirts.

• Fire 1

I haven't heard about Charles Jackson recently. Is he still hurt? Has Kieron Williams even seen the field on defense this year? He made a bunch of plays last year. Is Boaz Joseph so bad that he couldn't even get us through one game against a bad team? He's been playing on special teams. Antonio Reed has played on special teams quite a bit. We can't have any of these guys fill in as a Nickel for a game?

Just seems like there should be more options before we get to burning redshirts.

No clue about C Jax.

K Williams is a safety and I want to say saw the field on D the first couple games, no?

Article says that Boaz is injured.

Reed is a safety and isn't he huge? Or being talked about as a future LB?

Other DBs on the roster:

Nolan Graham RsFr

Creighton Koley RsFr

Anthony Ridder Sr

Aaron Williams Fr (is he redshirting or does he play special teams?)

I would rather start my 54 year old father at nickel than burn one of these guys redshirts at this point. If they pull a redshirt off Lee or Anderson against freaking Purdue when we are 3-5 its just the next boneheaded decision in a long line of boneheaded decisions that have been made dating back to December

I wouldn't put it past them. We already blew Stevenson's redshirt to average 14 yards on a kick return

No clue about C Jax.

K Williams is a safety and I want to say saw the field on D the first couple games, no?

Article says that Boaz is injured.

Reed is a safety and isn't he huge? Or being talked about as a future LB?

Other DBs on the roster:

Nolan Graham RsFr

Creighton Koley RsFr

Anthony Ridder Sr

Aaron Williams Fr (is he redshirting or does he play special teams?)

I guess I saw Joseph on the participation report from the NW game and figured he would be OK.

Pretty sure Aaron Williams plays the other safety spot when Cockrell moves to Nickel.

Reed is 6-2, 200 according to Huskers.com. Probably not going to play corner but couldn't he play safety and have either of the Williams play Nickel for a game? Kieron Williams even played a little LB last year.