Injury updates

I'm really impressed with the way the previous staff recruited the DE position. Fantastic job all around.

Avery Moss and Randy Gregory say "Hi".

I guess it is now considered poor recruiting if your guy is so good he goes to the NFL one year early.

One guy going to the NFL doesn't mean that they recruited the position well. You hit on one guy in 7 years and now we have basically two scholarship DEs playing meaningful snaps.
  • Fire 1

I'm really impressed with the way the previous staff recruited the DE position. Fantastic job all around.

I guess it is now considered poor recruiting if your guy is so good he goes to the NFL one year early.

One guy going to the NFL doesn't mean that they recruited the position well. You hit on one guy in 7 years and now we have basically two scholarship DEs playing meaningful snaps.

Especially considering that one guy was a juco who we had for two years. Pelini recruited somewhere around 16 or 18 DEs over the past four years. Where are they all? Two of the guys on our three-deep are walkons.

#BoNoseRecruitingNot

Actually....it was unknown before the season but I have been impressed with the depth at LB.

Definitely agree. Particularly with injuries to our only two proven players, we've still done really well.

I'd have to say the linebackers have been the best unit on the defense. That' not a really high bar to get over but I don't know what they could be doing a lot better than what we've seen.

Mav, I love ya man but I gotta disagree here. Most, if not all, of our defensive problems are centered squarely on our LB lack of depth and reaction time in the passing game.

Don't forget LB. We are playing a walkon redshirt sophomore (who is kicking ass), true freshman, redshirt sophomore (who spent time last year at DE), and redshirt freshman (who was recruited as a safety).
#fullcupboard
With that in mind, it is concerning how DE recruiting is going for 2016. #3-4Defensive
DE recruiting has been a concern for a couple of years, hasn't it?

So? The concern now is moving forward. DE depth is poor right now because of recruiting under Bo. The problem the team faces now is that DE recruiting is floundering last and this year under Riley. LB was also under-recruited under Bo, but Riley seems to have a plan in place to fix it. Riley needs to recruit DE better.

Especially considering that one guy was a juco who we had for two years. Pelini recruited somewhere around 16 or 18 DEs over the past four years. Where are they all? Two of the guys on our three-deep are walkons.

#BoNoseRecruitingNot

Bo used JUCOs as band aids to cover up poor recruiting and/or development of high school recruits quite often. David coming in and making our LB corps seem much more solid than it was comes to mind. I'd argue that area of the defense was neglected as well, and that's why you've seen Riley and staff scrambling to recruit LBs since they've arrived. Alas, it's not enough... a couple injuries and we're starting three guys with very little experience.

Personally, I think it's been equal parts poor recruiting and poor development that's gotten us to where we're at now.

Actually....it was unknown before the season but I have been impressed with the depth at LB.

Definitely agree. Particularly with injuries to our only two proven players, we've still done really well.

I'd have to say the linebackers have been the best unit on the defense. That' not a really high bar to get over but I don't know what they could be doing a lot better than what we've seen.

Mav, I love ya man but I gotta disagree here. Most, if not all, of our defensive problems are centered squarely on our LB lack of depth and reaction time in the passing game.

I don't think so. The scheme puts them in a position to not be able to do much in the passing game. Play-action gets them out of position to defend the pass. And I'm pretty sure the linebackers don't have anything to do with all the deep passes down the sidelines.

I don't think so. The scheme puts them in a position to not be able to do much in the passing game. Play-action gets them out of position to defend the pass. And I'm pretty sure the linebackers don't have anything to do with all the deep passes down the sidelines.

Actually, they do. This coverage scheme is based on LB being able to cover underneath routes long enough to be able to hand them off to safeties and CBs. They haven't shown the ability to do that, so safeties have to help earlier therefore opening up the deep passes. We adjusted last week and changed this to Cover 2 so they could play zone underneath and still be able to stop the run, but our lack of talented depth at LB is killing this defense right now. Not saying we don't have other issues, we do, but this is a glaring weakness and one I would definitely put on past recruiting failures and roster mis management.

Here's hoping they figure this out today.

Actually, they do. This coverage scheme is based on LB being able to cover underneath routes long enough to be able to hand them off to safeties and CBs. They haven't shown the ability to do that, so safeties have to help earlier therefore opening up the deep passes. We adjusted last week and changed this to Cover 2 so they could play zone underneath and still be able to stop the run, but our lack of talented depth at LB is killing this defense right now. Not saying we don't have other issues, we do, but this is a glaring weakness and one I would definitely put on past recruiting failures and roster mis management.

Here's hoping they figure this out today.

I guess we're going to disagree on this.

Don't forget LB. We are playing a walkon redshirt sophomore (who is kicking ass), true freshman, redshirt sophomore (who spent time last year at DE), and redshirt freshman (who was recruited as a safety).
#fullcupboard
With that in mind, it is concerning how DE recruiting is going for 2016. #3-4Defensive
So? The concern now is moving forward. DE depth is poor right now because of recruiting under Bo. The problem the team faces now is that DE recruiting is floundering last and this year under Riley. LB was also under-recruited under Bo, but Riley seems to have a plan in place to fix it. Riley needs to recruit DE better.
I was agreeing with you to a point. Bo actually recruited several DE's. Unfortunately not many are still here. Riley grabbed maybe 2 last class but is batting .000 so far for 2016. Definitely needs to be better.

#fullcupboard
I was agreeing with you to a point. Bo actually recruited several DE's. Unfortunately not many are still here. Riley grabbed maybe 2 last class but is batting .000 so far for 2016. Definitely needs to be better.

tumblr_lpkg8u4qax1qgrxsfo2_500.gif?w=640

Okay. I "believe" that that was what you were implying, but it is definitely not what you said.