New week, what do you want to see against S. Alabama?

lo country

They say the greatest jump is in week two. We lost heart breaker to BYU. Let's move on. What do you want to see this week?

I am hoping to see us try and get the running game going early on. I wouldn't mind Riley going series to series vs situational with play calling. I think it will allow the RB's to get into a "groove" as well as really identify who can be the every down back. I didn't see anyone really separate themselves from the others last Sat. TA was our 2nd leading rusher last year and to date, IMO, our best runner now. More misdirection to counter a blitz heavy 8 box team. Free Tommy.

No more Brett Favre pass attempts....

More push and aggressiveness from the OL. Our running game stalled Sat as we couldn't get any push in the running game. TA was running for his life on passing downs. I would like to see Langs counter this with more PA and designed rollouts. Much like Fresno did with Carr a few years back. Rolled the whole pocket IIRC.

DL needs to get more pressure and get their hands up. I haven't seen DL raising their hands since the great SUHNAMI of 2009. Watched Bama against Wisky, couldn't get to the QB, they got their hands up.

DB's should look better. Hill was probably one of the top QB's we will see. (probably most dangerous as he was accurate and mobile). Cook and Kaaya coming up are probably the top as well. Be a good tune up game to work out issues. I don't know if Hill was that good or our DB's are not yet suited to be Reevis Island 2.0.....

More blitzes. With MRI back (I hope) we should see some improvement in the LB play. Young was a beast and Bando played well IMO.

DL looked solid against the run, But BYU didn't really run as much as most teams with Hill running and throwing so well and their starter our. Anxious to see S. Alabama rushing more to better gauge the DL.

Riley and company did a great job adjusting at the half. I would like to see quicker adjustments. Get a feel for the game quicker and make adjustments.

NO STUPID PENALTIES. We had 12 for 90 IIRC. That's a lot of yards and allowed some BYU points. Clean those up and we won last week.

Special teams....... No FG, no positive PR's (ok so the guy was kicking like 90 yrd punts on a rope)

#freetommy-gun4

They say the greatest jump is in week two. We lost heart breaker to BYU. Let's move on. What do you want to see this week?

I am hoping to see us try and get the running game going early on. I wouldn't mind Riley going series to series vs situational with play calling. I think it will allow the RB's to get into a "groove" as well as really identify who can be the every down back. I didn't see anyone really separate themselves from the others last Sat. TA was our 2nd leading rusher last year and to date, IMO, our best runner now. More misdirection to counter a blitz heavy 8 box team. Free Tommy.

No more Brett Favre pass attempts....

More push and aggressiveness from the OL. Our running game stalled Sat as we couldn't get any push in the running game. TA was running for his life on passing downs. I would like to see Langs counter this with more PA and designed rollouts. Much like Fresno did with Carr a few years back. Rolled the whole pocket IIRC.

DL needs to get more pressure and get their hands up. I haven't seen DL raising their hands since the great SUHNAMI of 2009. Watched Bama against Wisky, couldn't get to the QB, they got their hands up.

DB's should look better. Hill was probably one of the top QB's we will see. (probably most dangerous as he was accurate and mobile). Cook and Kaaya coming up are probably the top as well. Be a good tune up game to work out issues. I don't know if Hill was that good or our DB's are not yet suited to be Reevis Island 2.0.....

More blitzes. With MRI back (I hope) we should see some improvement in the LB play. Young was a beast and Bando played well IMO.

DL looked solid against the run, But BYU didn't really run as much as most teams with Hill running and throwing so well and their starter our. Anxious to see S. Alabama rushing more to better gauge the DL.

Riley and company did a great job adjusting at the half. I would like to see quicker adjustments. Get a feel for the game quicker and make adjustments.

NO STUPID PENALTIES. We had 12 for 90 IIRC. That's a lot of yards and allowed some BYU points. Clean those up and we won last week.

Special teams....... No FG, no positive PR's (ok so the guy was kicking like 90 yrd punts on a rope)

#freetommy-gun4

These three things you mentioned I believe are the keys to a successful season. At least based on how we played against BYU.

Agreed pretty much on all points, lo country. My three biggest areas of concern are the offensive line, the running backs and the defensive backfield.

The difficult thing here is I don't know how much we're going to take away or really be able to learn from this game. We should be able to win by multiple touchdowns. But, that doesn't mean we can't refine some things. The o-line's execution was fairly abysmal at times Saturday, but got a lot better in the 2nd half. I'd like to see them match their assignments better.

I think our running backs need to find more consistency, too. They showed flashes but we also found out we don't really have 'that' guy in the backfield, at least not yet. Newby looked solid but didn't wow us, Cross looked good but seemingly got pulled after every good run he had and Wilbon I think deserved a few more reps. Wilbon very well may end up being the guy at Nebraska during his career.

And I'd like to see us play better assignment football in the defensive backfield and make better plays on the ball. Our defenders just got out of position and didn't stick with their assignments well at times. Some of that good was play design, some of it was just bad mistakes. And then when the ball was up in the air, our DB's either weren't in a position to make a play on the ball or couldn't win the battle to knock the ball away. The WR's were big at BYU, but there was nothing overly special about their talent IMHO.

I thought TA had a pretty good game, but I'd really like to see him not get stupid intentional grounding calls, stop turning 180 in the backfield/putting his back to the defense in order to scramble and I'd like to see him make the decision to tuck and run a bit sooner. He improved on that in the 2nd half but there were a few times in the 2nd quarter where no one was open, but he had a clear lane of green space in front of him.

Penalties, penalties, penalties. There's no coincidence - good teams don't get penalized that much. Gotta get better there, hopefully, with less incompetent refs. We did well in the turnover department despite one botched handoff, so we should keep progress up.

I don't think there is much to look forward to this week as far as gauging improvement. I expect to see a better outcome, more production on offense and a tighter defense. But it is, after all, Southern Alabama. How much of that will be improvement and how much will be opponent?

Next week will be a good look, but this week is a glorified practice.

I don't think there is much to look forward to this week as far as gauging improvement. I expect to see a better outcome, more production on offense and a tighter defense. But it is, after all, Southern Alabama. How much of that will be improvement and how much will be opponent?

and they can always use the extra practice!

and they can always use the extra practice!
TROOF!