Banker's D

From what we were told, Banker's D would look a lot like Michigan State's. Does that type of defense only work if you have great pass rushers on the front 4 and future NFLers in the secondary?

I will give the secondary a bit of a break, only because the front 4 didn't get much pressure, especially in the 1st half. I was worried all summer long about the lack of pass rush, especially by the defensive ends. I thought McMullen got too bulked up (310 lbs? really?) and Gangwish has just too many limitations. Gangwish gave a strong effort on Saturday, but he didn't make many plays, other than the spin/tackle on Hill on the 4th down in the 3rd quarter. It sure looks like we are missing Randy Gregory a lot right now, which a lot of people said we wouldn't miss him at all.

I hope that Banker will be able to come up with an answer on our lacking pass rush, because without it, QB's will pick our defense apart.

• Fire 1

All defenses work much better with great pass rushers and NFLers in the secondary.

I think what we will need to do is more blitzing when we don't have a "Gregory" in the front 4. That can be done and the defensive coaches can make adjustments. Collins is still the stud he was before. He just had 2-3 blockers the entire time. If we can get pressure in other ways, it will free him up.

We also won't go against another team that has 3-4 receivers over 6'5" with a QB that can pass like him.

• Fire 2

All defenses work much better with great pass rushers and NFLers in the secondary.

I think what we will need to do is more blitzing when we don't have a "Gregory" in the front 4. That can be done and the defensive coaches can make adjustments. Collins is still the stud he was before. He just had 2-3 blockers the entire time. If we can get pressure in other ways, it will free him up.

We also won't go against another team that has 3-4 receivers over 6'5" with a QB that can pass like him.

Yes, but why was Collins constantly double and triple teamed? It was because BYU knew the rush ends weren't going to put any real pressure on their QB.

I'm going to chalk it up to playing a little safe knowing that the QB could hurt you running the ball. It won't always be like that.

And of course we miss Randy Gregory. The guy was awesome. But tell me why our depth is depleted the way it is and our options are limited at that position? The answer is now the coach in at Youngstown State

• Fire 1

Yes, but why was Collins constantly double and triple teamed? It was because BYU knew the rush ends weren't going to put any real pressure on their QB.

But, if we mix in more blitzes from LBs, safeties, corners, they will need to account for them somewhere. If we are successful with it, they will need to bring a blocker from somewhere to pick up the blitzes.

I'm going to chalk it up to playing a little safe knowing that the QB could hurt you running the ball. It won't always be like that.

And of course we miss Randy Gregory. The guy was awesome. But tell me why our depth is depleted the way it is and our options are limited at that position? The answer is now the coach in at Youngstown State

Every time I would bring up RG the past month or two, I heard so many "he missed too many games", "he didn't give much effort", "he took too many plays off". I am not saying you did this St. Paul, but a LOT of posters on here did.

I know Gangwish is a great story, but let's be realistic, he was only a Blackshirt because Moss pulled out his dong 2 years ago. As far as the depth goes, Bo deserves a lot of criticism for missing on recruits and lack of development.

I don't think it was Bo's fault that Moss loved showing off his dong...

And I also wish we had LeRoy

Everything regarding to lack of depth and development of players this year is directly linked to Bo not doing his job in recruiting and development. This can't be argued.

Fair enough...just like everything regarding on the field play is directly linked to Riley.

I don't think it was Bo's fault that Moss loved showing off his dong...

And I also wish we had LeRoy

Everything regarding to lack of depth and development of players this year is directly linked to Bo not doing his job in recruiting and development. This can't be argued.

Fair enough...just like everything regarding on the field play is directly linked to Riley.

What about SC? Cause, I didn't think they looked physically dominate...is that on Bo or the new SC coach?

I am concerned about gap integrity. While we heard Banker wanted to "spill" the offense wide, too many times Hill had multiple HUGE running lanes in the middle of the field. One of them, he walked in untouched and injured.

Some of that was good play design by BYU, spreading our defenders so in case none of them were open Hill could shoot up field. I thought NU did a decent job of containing him in the pocket at times, but even really good defenses have problems keeping him in the pocket.

Some of that may also fall on our linebackers though, too. Any time you're short on experience and depth in your linebacking corp it's going to show against a mobile QB. That's why it's pretty critical the defenders rushing the QB get to him and make a sound, fundamental tackle. Otherwise, like you mentioned, they leave running lanes open and that's very difficult to recover from.

Like BigRedBuster pointed out, any defense will look great when you have four good pass rushers and future NFL guys in the secondary. We do have "talent" on this team, but, a lot of it is inexperienced and undeveloped, especially at key areas like rush end and in the linebacking corp. This is where HCMR's reputation is going to come into play, being able to teach these guys through the season and get them to improve.

From what we were told, Banker's D would look a lot like Michigan State's. Does that type of defense only work if you have great pass rushers on the front 4 and future NFLers in the secondary?

I will give the secondary a bit of a break, only because the front 4 didn't get much pressure, especially in the 1st half. I was worried all summer long about the lack of pass rush, especially by the defensive ends. I thought McMullen got too bulked up (310 lbs? really?) and Gangwish has just too many limitations. Gangwish gave a strong effort on Saturday, but he didn't make many plays, other than the spin/tackle on Hill on the 4th down in the 3rd quarter. It sure looks like we are missing Randy Gregory a lot right now, which a lot of people said we wouldn't miss him at all.

I hope that Banker will be able to come up with an answer on our lacking pass rush, because without it, QB's will pick our defense apart.

We've got real issues @ DE and LB. D Young looks like a possible up and comer, but @ those 2 positions we have nothing that can be called more than "servicable". We seriously need someone, anyone that can chase down a mobile QB and in general, though the DTs have been creating good pressure, it would be nice to see our ave sacks go up.

Secondary is young, looks pretty good, but again, I'm not seeing any lock down players there at this point.