Appreciation for Tommy's Stats

Theres just a couple handfuls of people on this board that really, really don't want to see Tommy succeed.

There is a difference between criticism and really not wanting Tommy to succeed. Can you tell the difference?
Its an appreciation for Tommy Armstrong thread.

They both ran 9 times and Taysom out yarded him.

That is a very nice way of leaving out the difference between 8.0 yards per carry and 0.2 (and 2 TD and zero).

One defense also had one of the worst secondaries in the nation, the other did not.

Tommy also had two elementary school intentional groundings that were costly.

I don't think Tommy did a terrible job by any means. I think he was about on par with what we've seen from him in the past. Some really good, a cannon for an arm, some really bad, and questionable decision-making.

These are your comments.

We can all criticize. Its the guys who have never acknowledged anything the guy does well, that's who I have an issue with.

You did say he has a cannon for an arm. My bad...that changes everything.

For a minute I thought you just came in here to debunk any positives said about the guy.

I'm sorry, I'll let you guys sit in here and pump sunshine and rainbows. No adverse discussion allowed. I did say he did "some really good," but that doesn't fit your narrative.

Is there any Husker fan that really doesn't want to see Tommy succeed, let alone a couple handfuls?

• Fire 1

Is there any Husker fan that really doesn't want to see Tommy succeed, let alone a couple handfuls?

As for this, there was a short discussion about this on a radio show here called Drop the Mic with Mike Welch and he talked about how the doubters of Armstrong would rather be proven RIGHT about him than see Nebraska succeed. As crazy as that sounds, I think he might be right. People would rather be right, than have Tommy prove they don't know what the f#*k they're talking about.

Tommy is a good QB. Most of the pundits had him ranked in the #30s nationally last year, and he was only a sophomore. He's still growing, and he showed in the BYU game that he's getting better. I think everyone was shocked at how well he performed in the passing game.

Once he gets more comfortable with the new offense, I expect we'll see the game slow down again for him and he'll be lethal on scrambles. The Huskers will be very tough to defend.

Using this message board's preferred pass defense stat, BYU had the 66th ranked pass defense last year. Mediocre, but not one of the worst in the nation. Not sure how that translates into one of the worst secondaries in the nation this season.

BYU was #114 in passing yards allowed per game last year. They have two defensive back starters back and two that basically didn't play for BYU last year - not sure if that is good or bad. :dunno

Not sure how that will translate to this year but they're currently #103 in the nation in passing yards allowed so that doesn't sound too good. chuckleshuffle

Tommy's second intentional grounding was ugly but really not the worst play ever - he tried escaping and the other guy made a better play. It happens.

His first one, though, is something I'd expect better out of him. He had several seconds of time waiting where he could have easily thrown it away, but he got too greedy and tried to throw it away last second after a defender had tracked him down, and was unable to get the ball far enough because of it.

His first one, though, is something I'd expect better out of him. He had several seconds of time waiting where he could have easily thrown it away, but he got too greedy and tried to throw it away last second after a defender had tracked him down, and was unable to get the ball far enough because of it.

That one was maddening. He had a lot of open field in front of him and a lot of time. I hope these are the teaching moments that Riley is talking about. I never got the vibe he was instructed not to run. There were a (very) few designed runs and even Tommy's patented hurdle-the-tackler.

I hope he gets more comfortable with the touch throws, particularly the screens. I really like how Langsdorf used them, but we have to connect.

For a quarter or two, Tommy looked really good. I was impressed.

Using this message board's preferred pass defense stat, BYU had the 66th ranked pass defense last year. Mediocre, but not one of the worst in the nation. Not sure how that translates into one of the worst secondaries in the nation this season.

Not sure how that will translate to this year but they're currently #103 in the nation in passing yards allowed so that doesn't sound too good. chuckleshuffle

I wonder why they're ranked so low to start the year? Who ripped them apart like that?

BYU was #114 in passing yards allowed per game last year. They have two defensive back starters back and two that basically didn't play for BYU last year - not sure if that is good or bad. :dunno

Don't chuckleshuffle me, mister. We don't like yards per game. We like Pct. & Rating. The ones that made Nebraska's pass defense look top 5 instead of just top 35.

According to that site BYU was 59th & 41st in those categories.

Also worth noting BYU's defense was passed on more than any other team but 2 last year. That helps explain the yards per game.

I'm not sure what any of this means. Football stats are a funny thing.

• Fire 1

That one was maddening. He had a lot of open field in front of him and a lot of time. I hope these are the teaching moments that Riley is talking about. I never got the vibe he was instructed not to run. There were a (very) few designed runs and even Tommy's patented hurdle-the-tackler.

I hope he gets more comfortable with the touch throws, particularly the screens. I really like how Langsdorf used them, but we have to connect.

For a quarter or two, Tommy looked really good. I was impressed.

That's what bothered me. He could have run 10 yards, easily. He doesn't seem to want to run unless it's a designed run. Either that or he's not comfortable making the decision to run. He ran so well last year when he bothered to do it. I wish he would run 10 more times per game. If the other team had to worry about it, then the throws would become easier.

• Fire 2

I think TA can be a good QB if he uses his feet. He has to take off when the yards are there.

No doubt. Right after the game I had the mindset that he had played pretty well with the exception of the 2nd qtr. Then after some thought, I think I over estimated how well he played. 2 turnovers, bad. 2 bad grounding penalties, 1 where he could have taken off and had a nice gain. Still seemed to force a few too many throws, and didn't seem comfortable in what little zone read game we ran.

He played well enough for us to win, but those same old bugaboos from the past 2 seasons were there. He needs to clean those up, cuz as he goes the offense goes.

I think TA can be a good QB if he uses his feet. He has to take off when the yards are there.

No doubt. Right after the game I had the mindset that he had played pretty well with the exception of the 2nd qtr. Then after some thought, I think I over estimated how well he played. 2 turnovers, bad. 2 bad grounding penalties, 1 where he could have taken off and had a nice gain. Still seemed to force a few too many throws, and didn't seem comfortable in what little zone read game we ran.

He played well enough for us to win, but those same old bugaboos from the past 2 seasons were there. He needs to clean those up, cuz as he goes the offense goes.

I think its more of defining the offense. The new staff does not know how to use the zone read, so it did not look good. They need to scrap it and find a different way for Tommy to run that they understand.

I think its more of defining the offense. The new staff does not know how to use the zone read, so it did not look good. They need to scrap it and find a different way for Tommy to run that they understand.

It's really not that difficult. I thought that this extremely experienced staff would be able to easily correct these errors.

Tommy didn't look comfortable in the zone read the previous 2 years, so if Riley and Langsdorf are really the experts and gurus that some say they are, I'd expect that they should easily get their 3rd year starter to grasp the concepts.