Thoughts on leaving Newby in there for so long?

So far my overall thoughts on the offense (including RBs) is bipolar. We can sling the ball, but were still not good at anyone thing. And wtf happened from last week to this week for Newby to only be spelled in the 3rd quarter?

Coaches stated they were going to stick with one guy more this week
Yep, change of strategy for the week. Newby played well, deserved to stay in.

Gonna be brutally honest, and it might sound harsh coming off a huge game from Newby. Congrats to Newby, great game by him. But if I'm the Head Coach, Mikale Wilbon gets those carries, and even then, I'd have probably given someone else a few more reps than what they gave to Wilbon and Cross.

There's two extremes here. What they did in week one, then what they did in week two. So in week 3 do they find a balance?

I'd like to know what Newby has done to secure the job like that? He clearly has based upon this game. Good for him, and obviusly the coaches know better than I do, but to me, Wilbon earned more than what he got. Unless, there's something we don't know.

Not bashing Newby. Wilbon just looks like the better back, but I know nothing.

2 words - Pass Blocking.

• Fire 3

Imani could have ran for well over a 100 tonight. A little confused as to their (Wilbon and Cross) lack of playing time tonight.

Imani isn't good. He needs a clean run for 3-4 yards to make a nice gain.

I think he is good however...I just think he lacks the vision and shiftiness that our other tailbacks have. Just a guess
Is he really a good RB if he lacks vision and shiftiness? Those are 2 pretty big attributes of a good RB.

Imani could have ran for well over a 100 tonight. A little confused as to their (Wilbon and Cross) lack of playing time tonight.

I think he is good however...I just think he lacks the vision and shiftiness that our other tailbacks have. Just a guess

I'm not huge on Cross at all actually. My point is those holes were so huge anyone would have had a big night had they stayed in the amount of time Newby did.

Trust me I'm not necessarily huge on Cross. My point is those holes were so huge anyone would have had a big night had they stayed in the amount of time Newby did.

Yes, some of the holes were huge. I think the coaches were trying to get Newby some confidence. He is key in the passing game, that's why he is the #1 guy.

Gonna be brutally honest, and it might sound harsh coming off a huge game from Newby. Congrats to Newby, great game by him. But if I'm the Head Coach, Mikale Wilbon gets those carries, and even then, I'd have probably given someone else a few more reps than what they gave to Wilbon and Cross.

There's two extremes here. What they did in week one, then what they did in week two. So in week 3 do they find a balance?

I'd like to know what Newby has done to secure the job like that? He clearly has based upon this game. Good for him, and obviusly the coaches know better than I do, but to me, Wilbon earned more than what he got. Unless, there's something we don't know.

Not bashing Newby. Wilbon just looks like the better back, but I know nothing.

2 words - Pass Blocking.

Interesting.....good point.

It very well could be and that would be something that I would not pick up on as much.

As any good back knows, or any good coach knows, a "complete" back has to be able to pick up the blitz, or he isn't a complete back.

Newby will not start by the end of the season.

Yes he will unless he gets hurt. This is Riley's MO. I was surprised about last week, as in the past he liked a back that can carry the rock 30 times. I also think that Wilbon is the more explosive back, but I wonder if he has trouble with picking up blitzes. He was the back in the game last week in the 2nd quarter when we were have issues.

Is he really a good RB if he lacks vision and shiftiness? Those are 2 pretty big attributes of a good RB.

Not if he is strictly a down hill runner. A bruiser back so to speak

I just think it benefits him and the 1st team more than anything. It's important to the offense knowing what your back is capable of doing. And it should help his confidence going into next week (OLine too).

236 total yards - 2 shy of 200 - in just your 2nd career start? That's a real nice game. More than Ameer and Rex ever did during their first year starting.

My question is where is a guy like Adam Taylor. Not a whiff of him. Is he just not D-1 material?

As to the point of leaving newby in, gotta establish a #1 back. Thought they did that tonight. I think he looks pretty explosive and very athletic. Good job running tonight. The full backs did a great job cut blocking and getting to second level. Newby used their blocks very well to find his creases.

Imani has never been and will never be a 15-18 carry guy, get over it. Newby and Wilbon are the guys.