Are you suprised?

Highway6

We still win the West..........

NW and Iowa aren't going to be cupcakes as expected. Minny on the road isn't easy. Wiscy and MSU here are tough. Really only penciling in Illinois, Rutgers and Purdue as wins now. If we can win half the others it may be a moral victory.
. But were stopping the run first. What qbs in the west could even sniff Kayaas and Tayskm Hills jock enough to make us a sure out?

Not sayin those games wont be hard but you have look at the circumstances and the competition. AND the reality that we will improve. And thats a concept i always get a kick out of. Early season struggles are used to make doom and gloom scenarios based on everyone improving except ourselves.

On the other side were also a significant injury or two from a total disaster season.

When you dedicate to stop the run first, which bo didnt do, you can compete for a big ten title.

Now we are sitting here hoping we can just get to .500 to make a bowl game.

People have been saying this like, every year, for a lot of years.

your point? Yesterday was a disaster. I've never seen such a disconnect between players and their coaching staff. Husker fans get ready for this:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°Oregon State Beavers (Pacific-10 Conference) (1997–1998) 1997 Oregon State 3–8 0–8 10th 1998 Oregon State 5–6 2–6 T–8th Oregon State Beavers (Pacific-10/Pacific-12 Conference) (2003–2014) 2003 Oregon State 8–5 4–4 T–4th W Las Vegas 2004 Oregon State 7–5 5–3 T–3rd W Insight 2005 Oregon State 5–6 3–5 7th 2006 Oregon State 10–4 6–3 3rd W Sun 22 21 2007 Oregon State 9–4 6–3 3rd W Emerald 25 2008 Oregon State 9–4 7–2 T–2nd W Sun 19 18 2009 Oregon State 8–5 6–3 T–2nd L Las Vegas 2010 Oregon State 5–7 4–5 T–5th 2011 Oregon State 3–9 3–6 5th (North) 2012 Oregon State 9–4 6–3 3rd (North) L Alamo 19 20 2013 Oregon State 7–6 4–5 T–4th (North) W Hawaii 2014 Oregon State 5–7 2–7 T–5th (North) Oregon State: 93–80 58–63

Might as well call ourselves the Nebraska State Beavers. HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!!!

• Fire 1

NW and Iowa aren't going to be cupcakes as expected. Minny on the road isn't easy. Wiscy and MSU here are tough. Really only penciling in Illinois, Rutgers and Purdue as wins now. If we can win half the others it may be a moral victory.
. But were stopping the run first. What qbs in the west could even sniff Kayaas and Tayskm Hills jock enough to make us a sure out?

Not sayin those games wont be hard but you have look at the circumstances and the competition. AND the reality that we will improve. And thats a concept i always get a kick out of. Early season struggles are used to make doom and gloom scenarios based on everyone improving except ourselves.

On the other side were also a significant injury or two from a total disaster season.

When you dedicate to stop the run first, which bo didnt do, you can compete for a big ten title.

IDK, but I bet at least 2-3 other teams besides Wisconsin and Michigan state have QB's as good or better than South Alabama.

Southern Miss put up 56 points this week. If their QB goes for 300+, it's an indictment of the defensive scheme. You can't "just" stop the run, especially when you aren't really stopping the run in the first place.

I wouldn't say they were unprepared. Davie was getting burned and NU had some key drops and otherwise unforced errors that stalled too many drives. It could have easily been a close game throughout, otherwise.

I think they had to adjust to The U's speed too, which they did pretty well. I'm pretty impressed how they held up in the tropical heat. NU looked in better condition than The U in the 2nd half. Great comeback, frustrating loss, but I overall enjoyed the game. Glad they kept fighting. I think the team has some decent potential and am really liking what I'm seeing out of Stanley Morgan.

My main wish is that we could get more pressure on the qb and get some sacks, more disruption by the DL.

• Fire 1

Now we are sitting here hoping we can just get to .500 to make a bowl game.

People have been saying this like, every year, for a lot of years.

your point? Yesterday was a disaster. I've never seen such a disconnect between players and their coaching staff. Husker fans get ready for this:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°Oregon State Beavers (Pacific-10 Conference) (1997–1998) 1997 Oregon State 3–8 0–8 10th 1998 Oregon State 5–6 2–6 T–8th Oregon State Beavers (Pacific-10/Pacific-12 Conference) (2003–2014) 2003 Oregon State 8–5 4–4 T–4th W Las Vegas 2004 Oregon State 7–5 5–3 T–3rd W Insight 2005 Oregon State 5–6 3–5 7th 2006 Oregon State 10–4 6–3 3rd W Sun 22 21 2007 Oregon State 9–4 6–3 3rd W Emerald 25 2008 Oregon State 9–4 7–2 T–2nd W Sun 19 18 2009 Oregon State 8–5 6–3 T–2nd L Las Vegas 2010 Oregon State 5–7 4–5 T–5th 2011 Oregon State 3–9 3–6 5th (North) 2012 Oregon State 9–4 6–3 3rd (North) L Alamo 19 20 2013 Oregon State 7–6 4–5 T–4th (North) W Hawaii 2014 Oregon State 5–7 2–7 T–5th (North) Oregon State: 93–80 58–63

Uhm I am pretty sure we have seen more disconnect with Pelini's teams. Every Wisconsin game we lost begs to differ.

• Fire 1

Connor Cook and CJ Beathard are no slouches, and the way our secondary has been playing can make an average QB look good. Similarly our passing defense under the last staff was aided by the fact that teams didn't pass as much against us because they could get theirs on the ground.

Getting gashed through the passing game like we are is concerning, and it can't continue to happen, even in the run-happy Big Ten. We simply can't hope that the QBs in the Big Ten just won't be as good as Kaaya and Hill. Now, my only hope is that our tackling wasn't as solid yesterday as it has been the past two weeks was in due in part to the tremendous heat and humidity and the pure athleticism on Miami's team. I don't think we'll face another team as athletic.

1yv67d.jpg

I think part of the problem is that stopping the run is great BUT passing is no longer a 50/50 crap shoot. Heck I bet the % of passes that are connected under 10 yards is probably close to 75%...so even if you are shutting down the run it is still really easy for a team to complete a lot of short passes which start to add up.

You have to be good at both. You just do

• Fire 2

I appreciate this board and other social media for confirming my dislike of most of the Husker fan base.

Some of you are just beyond reason. This is game THREE of a new era. We all expected some bumps along the way. Calm tf down and keep supporting this team and staff. Bashing the coaches, or kids isn't going help the matter. We were essentially 2 plays away from 3-0 and lost to two pretty damned decent teams.

But, keep bashing away or complaining.

If you aren't going to support this team and this staff in its infancy, then go find another team to root or bash for. I hear Ole Miss is doing pretty good.

Pathetic adults.

I completely agree with you that it's only Game 3 of a new coaching era, that they've lost to two solid teams, and that it's way, way too early to jump ship. I'm still solidly behind Coach Riley.

But come on, man. Nebraska's fan base isn't at all unique when it comes to reacting angrily to a loss, particularly the gut-wrenching emotion of the way we've lost the first two games. Go to any message board of any team in the country following a tough loss, and you'll see the same thing (and probably worse). Need proof? Check out the Texas boards following any of their losses this year, the USC board after yesterday, the Tennessee board last weekend, the Florida board after any game in which they win by less than 5 TDs. Or maybe a better exercise: find a single football message board where the team's fans reacted to a loss with nothing but smiles and quiet dignity.

Social media and anonymous message boards are great for discussion between reasonable folks, but they also are always going to be "THE" outlets for the very worst elements of any fan base. The true indicator of a fan base is how the people act in person--at the stadium, in the arena, etc. And in that regard, Nebraska continually receives the kind of accolades from practically every visitor to Lincoln that you just won't see at places like Madison or Boulder or Austin.

But come on, man. Nebraska's fan base isn't at all unique when it comes to reacting angrily to a loss, particularly the gut-wrenching emotion of the way we've lost the first two games. Go to any message board of any team in the country following a tough loss,

Yeah, this is really every fanbase of every team in every sport. Look at how the Buckeyes are talking about their offensive coordinators (or were at this time last year, also). The Seahawks were a Super Bowl team but I'm sure dozens of angry message board fans have been offering up their expert analyses on why their coordinator is stupid for the past several months. U.S. women's soccer won the World Cup in convincing fashion, but plenty of fans were scrutinizing coach Jill Ellis's tactics and management acumen leading up to the tournament and really, all the way until they kicked into high gear late in the knockout stages. Alabama probably has as good an assembly of coaching and talent as any in the country, but listen to some of their fans and I'm sure the coaches are unbelievably stupid.

Bellyaching. It's what we fans do.

At some point, you have to recognize that perhaps the wiser thing is to take a deep breath...take a step back...and enjoy watching the seasons unfold.

Social media and anonymous message boards are great for discussion between reasonable folks, but they also are always going to be "THE" outlets for the very worst elements of any fan base. The true indicator of a fan base is how the people act in person--at the stadium, in the arena, etc. And in that regard, Nebraska continually receives the kind of accolades from practically every visitor to Lincoln that you just won't see at places like Madison or Boulder or Austin.

Super well stated. :thumbs

We're not exactly doing a great job at stopping the run. We're at about #34 nationally in Rush Defense (Yards/Att).

Most Nebraska fans agree that it was time for Bo to go.

Agreed.

I think Bo was the first to decide he wasn't going to be coaching here in 2015, so there never was any choice between keeping Pelini or firing him. Pelini wasn't going to quit (and lose a couple of million) and he wasn't going to let Eichorst and the Regents keep him in Nebraska.

So I don't think anyone made a mistake in firing Pelini. Pelini left Eichorst with no other choice. If knocking on Regents' doors wouldn't have done it, Pelini would have done something even more egregious to press the issue. It sucks for Nebraska because Pelini just got a raise and an extension, but that's on the people who gave it to him and didn't see the handwriting on the wall.

So it isn't (and never was) about keeping Pelini. Eichorst should have had a viable Plan B in his pocket for the last three years. That is what his job is, for the most part. We can agree or disagree on whether Eichorst's Plan B justifies what we pay him, but I think Eichorst's Plan A is taking Alvarez' place in Wisconsin when he retires, so I think Eichorst is just milking the clock here in Lincoln until he can get his cheese curds fresh enought that they squeak. (It's a Wisconsin thing; The relatives become traumatized if you buy cheese curds in a store, because they aren't fresh enough to squeak when you bite into them.)

So the question is, "Was the hiring of Mike Riley a credible plan to get Nebraska past nine wins?" We will see.

• Fire 1

Most Nebraska fans agree that it was time for Bo to go.

Agreed.

I think Bo was the first to decide he wasn't going to be coaching here in 2015, so there never was any choice between keeping Pelini or firing him. Pelini wasn't going to quit (and lose a couple of million) and he wasn't going to let Eichorst and the Regents keep him in Nebraska.

So I don't think anyone made a mistake in firing Pelini. Pelini left Eichorst with no other choice. If knocking on Regents' doors wouldn't have done it, Pelini would have done something even more egregious to press the issue. It sucks for Nebraska because Pelini just got a raise and an extension, but that's on the people who gave it to him and didn't see the handwriting on the wall.

So it isn't (and never was) about keeping Pelini. Eichorst should have had a viable Plan B in his pocket for the last three years. That is what his job is, for the most part. We can agree or disagree on whether Eichorst's Plan B justifies what we pay him, but I think Eichorst's Plan A is taking Alvarez' place in Wisconsin when he retires, so I think Eichorst is just milking the clock here in Lincoln until he can get his cheese curds fresh enought that they squeak. (It's a Wisconsin thing; The relatives become traumatized if you buy cheese curds in a store, because they aren't fresh enough to squeak when you bite into them.)

So the question is, "Was the hiring of Mike Riley a credible plan to get Nebraska past nine wins?" We will see.

This is so right, and so reasonable, that I can't fathom why the other 97 posts I've seen from you in the past 48 hours have been so... out there.

We won't know if Riley & Co. were the correct hire until a couple of years down the road. But in the meantime, while we're figuring it out, even with reasonable and measured criticism, wouldn't it be better to relax and just be Husker fans for a while, with no preconceived notions, no expectations, just a simple enjoyment of each game and the joy of being a fan of this team?

• Fire 2