Have you seen me?

Hujan

Isn't Newby averaging over 6 yards per carry? Is that not good enough that you lose your job? It seems good to me.

It's also pretty easy to lead all running backs in yards per carry when suddenly you're basically the only guy getting the touches.

It is what it is I guess. If the guy has the play making ability that was talked about all spring not to mention the flashes he showed in his first game at BYU if you're going to throw as much as you decided to against Miami wouldn't you want to give MW a few passes thrown his way to give that defense something to think about? Heck if anything he's a pretty nice release valve for Armstrong because he can make people miss. How about a different style of runner to come at the Canes with? He looks too good to not be on the field imo.

Perhaps he is getting all of the carries because he is averaging 6 yards per carry?

He hasn't done anything to lose the starting job.

• Fire 2

Isn't Newby averaging over 6 yards per carry? Is that not good enough that you lose your job? It seems good to me.

It's also pretty easy to lead all running backs in yards per carry when suddenly you're basically the only guy getting the touches.

It is what it is I guess. If the guy has the play making ability that was talked about all spring not to mention the flashes he showed in his first game at BYU if you're going to throw as much as you decided to against Miami wouldn't you want to give MW a few passes thrown his way to give that defense something to think about? Heck if anything he's a pretty nice release valve for Armstrong because he can make people miss. How about a different style of runner to come at the Canes with? He looks too good to not be on the field imo.

Perhaps he is getting all of the carries because he is averaging 6 yards per carry?

But..but...but...why would we want to leave anyone in that's getting 6 yards per carry. Surely there is someone better. These coaches don't know what they hell they are doing.

I'm sure that game against the mighty D of the South Alabama Jaguars had nothing to do with inflating that 6 yards per carry stat that you're hanging your hat on.

Our backup RB's got more time when Ameer Abdullah was our starter so apparently Newby must be 10 times the back that AA was....

I'm sure that game against the mighty D of the South Alabama Jaguars had nothing to do with inflating that 6 yards per carry stat that you're hanging your hat on.

Our backup RB's got more time when Ameer Abdullah was our starter so apparently Newby must be 10 times the back that AA was....

Well, technically it did but Newby averaged 5.9 against Miami as well so it's not like the USA game is the complete outlier (as far as YPC goes - he averaged 7.1 in that game).

Newby only averaged 4.3 against BYU. Cross was slightly better at 4.9. Wilbon was much worse at 2.3. One game is a pretty small sample size but that's the only game they all got a similar number of carries.

Well, technically it did but Newby averaged 5.9 against Miami as well so it's not like the USA game is the complete outlier (as far as YPC goes - he averaged 7.1 in that game).

Newby only averaged 4.3 against BYU. Cross was slightly better at 4.9. Wilbon was much worse at 2.3. One game is a pretty small sample size but that's the only game they all got a similar number of carries.

Totally. Even in the BYU game Wilbon showed flashes of what we heard about all spring. I also remember him having a really nice gain in the BYU game called back because of a penalty. The thing with Wilbon is that he gives you two options. The ability to run obviously but also the ability to catch out of the backfield and make people miss.

The 3rd and 1 in the second quarter when Nebraska was getting pounded by Miami when Riley chose to pass instead of putting Cross back there to get a freaking yard. Even the commentators were like 'what are you doing'??? Head scratching but not really. None of it is really surprising actually.

Riley likes the passing attack which is his history and on that play in particular he looked like a total 'Newby' when it came to the running game.

#freemikale

Our backup rb's got more time when Ameer Abdullah was our starter so apparently Newby must be 10 times the back that AA was....

Ameer Abdullah had 45% of the carries for Nebraska last year. That included him being injured and not playing as much in a few games.

Terrell Newby currently has 49% of the carries. Through 3 whopping games.

• Fire 1

Did we call any designed runs for TA? There were probably a couple but I don't remember any.

There was an excellent QB sweep play called on a 3rd down early in the game. It was blown up, Lewis couldn't hold his block. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jyjtlreRhk?t=20m26s

I like the play, and wonder how it will be utilized going forward.

Just getting around to re-watching the game and noticed that play as well. It's an interesting look but it's not so much Lewis not holding his block as it is Carter not getting his down block. But the guy Carter is supposed to block down on is inside the tackle. That's a long way to go to get a block. That guy doesn't make the tackle but he disrupts the timing of the play. If TA gets to the hole quicker, it was probably there.

There was also another called run for TA a few plays before that so there were a couple here and there.

Good point. I guess you always really catch the most obvious portion of a play that doesn't work. In this case, the guy that tackles him.

Overall, I think all the runners in our offense could hit holes quicker. That's something I think we are lacking in our running game. Granted, we've gotten pretty spoiled with watching eventual NFL draftees hitting holes consistently quickly. As much as I'd hate to say it, seeing as this is a pro-Wilbon thread, I think Wilbon consistently doesn't hit holes fast enough. It's mainly because he seems eager to juke someone out, but he essentially jukes the hole out when he just needs to hit that hole as fast as he can.

Maybe I'm crazy for seeing that, and maybe I'm wrong about that. But if I am correct, it's something that experience will teach him. He's gotta get used to the speed of the college game and how we play it. But he's gotta get more snaps to get that experience.

Did we call any designed runs for TA? There were probably a couple but I don't remember any.

There was an excellent QB sweep play called on a 3rd down early in the game. It was blown up, Lewis couldn't hold his block. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jyjtlreRhk?t=20m26s

I like the play, and wonder how it will be utilized going forward.

Just getting around to re-watching the game and noticed that play as well. It's an interesting look but it's not so much Lewis not holding his block as it is Carter not getting his down block. But the guy Carter is supposed to block down on is inside the tackle. That's a long way to go to get a block. That guy doesn't make the tackle but he disrupts the timing of the play. If TA gets to the hole quicker, it was probably there.

There was also another called run for TA a few plays before that so there were a couple here and there.

Good point. I guess you always really catch the most obvious portion of a play that doesn't work. In this case, the guy that tackles him.

Overall, I think all the runners in our offense could hit holes quicker. That's something I think we are lacking in our running game. Granted, we've gotten pretty spoiled with watching eventual NFL draftees hitting holes consistently quickly. As much as I'd hate to say it, seeing as this is a pro-Wilbon thread, I think Wilbon consistently doesn't hit holes fast enough. It's mainly because he seems eager to juke someone out, but he essentially jukes the hole out when he just needs to hit that hole as fast as he can.

Maybe I'm crazy for seeing that, and maybe I'm wrong about that. But if I am correct, it's something that experience will teach him. He's gotta get used to the speed of the college game and how we play it. But he's gotta get more snaps to get that experience.

Definitely agree with the backs not being as aggressive as they need to be. I remember 2-3 times against BYU that I thought Wilbon was dancing around too much but he found a way to slip through and pick up a couple yards. Newby also needs to be more decisive. Seems like they're both trying make the big play too much instead of just putting a shoulder down and getting a couple more yards while they can.