Davie?

Is an adjustment issue, plain and simple. To fix it they need to move around a couple of people. I'd start with moving banker to the unemployment line, then bring Gene Chizik over and dress him in husker gear.

I feel confident that this would solve a lot of the issues We are looking at on defense.

About firing Banker....

Nebraska held Miami to 19 points after Davie was benched. How was this not the proper defensive adjustment that should cost a D-Coordinator his job? Unless you fire him for making the decision 3 series too late?

When was Davie pulled? Did it coincide with Al Golden going full-Golden?

Honestly, I'm not as bothered by the deep throws. As a few have pointed out, the coverage hasn't been THAT bad, just the throws have been right on the money. Unfortunately after three games and four different quarterbacks, it's more of a trend than a fluke. But we're bound to get some stops - and we did break up a couple as the game went on today.

My bigger problem is we give up way to many "easy" throws. Plays where they can run down the field and run some sort of a curl/out at about 10 yards and get a completion that does not require nearly as good of a throw from the QB. Those are the play that will still be easy to complete even if the QBs/WRs we're playing aren't as good. But when the DB has to cover the receiver anywhere on the field, he can't help but try to play off and try not to get beat deep but that opens up the sort stuff.

To me, you have to give more help so that the DBs don't have to cover every route. If you have a safety over the top on the wide side of the field, those DBs know they can play more aggressive on the shorter routes. And play a LB in the flat on the short side. The LB can take away the shorter throws with the corner handling the deep stuff. That seems quite do-able without a large change in scheme. But despite what people though they saw in the second half against BYU or what the coaches have been saying, so far we don't seem willing to make changes. What I saw today - which is just a first impression - is that the only reason we were able to come back today was that Miami went completely away from their offense after going up 27-3 early in the second half. Instead of attacking down the field with a fast paced offense, they slowed everything down and ran more "safe" plays. They still threw the ball, but didn't stretch the field very much.

3 games 5 Qb's.

2 for BYU 2 for S. Bama and Felicia for Da U.

If I remember right the 2nd team Qb came in for S. Bama and completed a long strike on Davie as well. Then they pulled him.

Is an adjustment issue, plain and simple. To fix it they need to move around a couple of people. I'd start with moving banker to the unemployment line, then bring Gene Chizik over and dress him in husker gear.

I feel confident that this would solve a lot of the issues We are looking at on defense.

About firing Banker....

Nebraska held Miami to 19 points after Davie was benched. How was this not the proper defensive adjustment that should cost a D-Coordinator his job? Unless you fire him for making the decision 3 series too late?

Oh. Okay. So even when Banker makes a coaching decision it's just because the other coach f'd everything up. You win,

Honestly, I'm not as bothered by the deep throws. As a few have pointed out, the coverage hasn't been THAT bad, just the throws have been right on the money. Unfortunately after three games and four different quarterbacks, it's more of a trend than a fluke. But we're bound to get some stops - and we did break up a couple as the game went on today.

My bigger problem is we give up way to many "easy" throws. Plays where they can run down the field and run some sort of a curl/out at about 10 yards and get a completion that does not require nearly as good of a throw from the QB. Those are the play that will still be easy to complete even if the QBs/WRs we're playing aren't as good. But when the DB has to cover the receiver anywhere on the field, he can't help but try to play off and try not to get beat deep but that opens up the sort stuff.

To me, you have to give more help so that the DBs don't have to cover every route. If you have a safety over the top on the wide side of the field, those DBs know they can play more aggressive on the shorter routes. And play a LB in the flat on the short side. The LB can take away the shorter throws with the corner handling the deep stuff. That seems quite do-able without a large change in scheme. But despite what people though they saw in the second half against BYU or what the coaches have been saying, so far we don't seem willing to make changes. What I saw today - which is just a first impression - is that the only reason we were able to come back today was that Miami went completely away from their offense after going up 27-3 early in the second half. Instead of attacking down the field with a fast paced offense, they slowed everything down and ran more "safe" plays. They still threw the ball, but didn't stretch the field very much.

3 games 5 Qb's.

2 for BYU 2 for S. Bama and Felicia for Da U.

If I remember right the 2nd team Qb came in for S. Bama and completed a long strike on Davie as well. Then they pulled him.

Yep, you're right.

About firing Banker....

Oh. Okay. So even when Banker makes a coaching decision it's just because the other coach f'd everything up. You win,

I don't think it can really be argued that Miami's game plan changed significantly after they scored on the first possession of the second half. That was well after Davie got pulled but their entire demeanor changed then if not earlier. They were taking their time calling and running plays and - I'm pretty sure - weren't taking near the number of shots down the field.

So, yes, pulling Davie was an adjustment. But that wasn't the only reason we played better after that point. We got some help. And when you consider Banker's comments from last week - that they could have given him more help but didn't - I think it's fair to ask why we still weren't giving more help.

Nebraska held Miami to 19 points after Davie was benched. How was this not the proper defensive adjustment that should cost a D-Coordinator his job?

Giving up 19 points after Miami went to cruise control isn't very good, really. Nineteen points for an entire game is acceptable and borderline good.

About firing Banker....

So, Miami scored 17 points with Davie on the field and 19 with him off of the field?

• Fire 2

About firing Banker....

So, Miami scored 17 points with Davie on the field and 19 with him off of the field?

they went right after Davie , it was an easy plan. if someone else would of started do you think Miami is dialing in on just one of our db s? the kid has skills, he showed it last year but this year hes a step slow and not being aggressive playing or looking for the ball. after the usa game any OC is going to target him.

Again, my concern is not Davie. Its the fact that after getting lit up by USA, the staff Banker and Riley said that some adjustments could have been made and that there are things to do to "fix that". My a$$. Their idea was to let him get toasted by a guy who will play Sundays until they pulled him. That's not fixing crap....

Here's the coach speak crap in bold:

“We could have rolled the corners up and played the safeties over the top, but in that game, it wasn’t about statistics,” Banker said of the South Alabama game. “It was about getting those guys ready to play those balls.”

Stewart hinted that NU does have fixes that it didn’t have to show against South Alabama.

“We were ahead by a few points,” Stewart said, “so there was no need in tipping our hand and showing them other things when we can just ride it out and get our guys to play 50-50 balls.” (for the record IIRC Davie was beat by USA 8 out of 11...not 50/50)

Tipping your hand? Really? You didn't do dick. Because you are married to a system that has gotten exposed for 3 friggin games. This is over a decades worth of film to view. See Kaaya below........ Other coaches will adjust to attack. Leaving Davie on an Island, after getting drubbed by USA and having a "fix" and not using it against Miami at any point shows we don't have a plan. Sadly, IMO, like Beck against 8 in the box..........

Quote from Kaaya:

But Hurricane quarterback Brad Kaaya still threw for a career-high 379 yards. After the game, Kaaya said Miami's players had watched a lot of Banker's old team — Oregon State — to get a bead on how to attack Nebraska.

“It was a lot of quarters coverage — safeties Nate Gerry and (Byerson) Cockrell playing 10 yards from the line of scrimmage,” Kaaya said. “Their linebackers like to turn and run so we thought we could expose them with certain crossing routes. ... It's a good defense. It's a veteran group. But with those safeties being locked on those inside receivers, that was a huge thing for us. Watching Gerry — he's all over the field. When Nate Gerry's to the field, we know they're bringing some kind of buzz (blitz) or piggybacking the linebacker, so, usually, Nate Gerry's the guy you watch. He's the one making plays.”

• Fire 1

About firing Banker....

I don't think it can really be argued that Miami's game plan changed significantly after they scored on the first possession of the second half. That was well after Davie got pulled but their entire demeanor changed then if not earlier. They were taking their time calling and running plays and - I'm pretty sure - weren't taking near the number of shots down the field.

So, yes, pulling Davie was an adjustment. But that wasn't the only reason we played better after that point. We got some help. And when you consider Banker's comments from last week - that they could have given him more help but didn't - I think it's fair to ask why we still weren't giving more help.

Maybe the "help" they were talking about was technique and mental, not really safety help.