Corn Flakes: The Last Time Nebraska Was 1-2

r06ue1

Good read.

Osborne was too calm, too nice a guy, didn't run the right offense, didn't run the right defense, wasn't playing the right players - take everything said about Mike Riley and his coaching staff right now and the same things were being said about Osborne all those years ago.

http://www.cornnation.com/2015/9/21/9363423/corn-flakes-the-last-time-nebraska-was-1-2

Edit: Sorry, forgot the link.

Last time we were 1-2, we went on to play in the Orange Bowl, then went on to go 34-4 over the next three seasons, losing only to national champions Penn State on the out-of-bounds catch game, national championship Miami on the 2 point conversion game, Syracuse and #3 Oklahoma.

This obviously doesn't mean anything but I would take that stretch if it means a meaningless aberration 3 games in.

Good read.

Osborne was too calm, too nice a guy, didn't run the right offense, didn't run the right defense, wasn't playing the right players - take everything said about Mike Riley and his coaching staff right now and the same things were being said about Osborne all those years ago.

http://www.cornnation.com/2015/9/21/9363423/corn-flakes-the-last-time-nebraska-was-1-2

Edit: Sorry, forgot the link.

'81? That was awhile back. I vaguely recall that shocking IA loss and clearly recall the Corn hate for Haden Fry. He dressed the Hawks up like the Bradshaw's Steelers and declared us a rival or something.

As to Riley, I haven't been following any of the whiner critique of him to date and I'm not going to as I would prefer to just enjoy the guy and wish him success. And jeebus, I wish fans would give the guy a chance, it's only 3 games into his tenure for jeebus' sake. I think the team looks pretty good so far. Not quite sure on Banker, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over him.

• Fire 1

And the next weekend, we were losing at the half to unranked Auburn in the rain, and some fans booed as the team left the field. In the 2nd half, fans got what they wanted as Turner Gill entered the game and we won out in the regular season before losing to Clemson in the Orange Bowl, with Gill out and Mauer playing hurt and barely able to throw.

Unfortunately I don't think I see a Turner Gill on the bench, and the two losses were to better teams.

No real changes on offense. McBride was the new DC but he had already been on staff and I don't think he changed things that much either. It was just a tough OOC schedule, though the Big 8 wasn't too tough then.

• Fire 2

And the next weekend, we were losing at the half to unranked Auburn in the rain, and some fans booed as the team left the field. In the 2nd half, fans got what they wanted as Turner Gill entered the game and we won out in the regular season before losing to Clemson in the Orange Bowl, with Gill out and Mauer playing hurt and barely able to throw.

Unfortunately I don't think I see a Turner Gill on the bench, and the two losses were to better teams.

No real changes on offense. McBride was the new DC but he had already been on staff and I don't think he changed things that much either. It was just a tough OOC schedule, though the Big 8 wasn't too tough then.

Yeah, this year's team feels nothing at all like that 1981 team. The teams we played, the relative talent level, all very different.....the only thing you can say is the same at all would be the 1-2 record to start the season.

That was my first year at UNL. I wish I could say I remember it like yesterday but that would be stretching the truth. One little story though, one that I'm not particularly proud of. We (some frat brothers and I) thought it would be fun to call Danny Ford's (the Clemson HC) house just prior to the bowl game to tell him how Nebraska was going to kick their a$$. Surprise #1, he actually had a listed phone number and we were able to make the call. Surprise #2, he didn't answer so I left the message with whatever family member answered the phone. Unfortunately I think that little stunt just helped motivate Clemson all that much more and may have contributed to the bowl loss. Seemed like the thing to do when I was 18, now it seems pretty low class and douchey. Anyways.....

• Fire 2

Remember the season and games very well. I was at the Auburn game sitting in a drizzly rain. I believe it was the year before Bo Jackson got there. They weren't bad, but there was a lot grumbling about TO and not being good and needing a change.

The point of bringing up this is that just because you start out 1-2 there is no guarantee the sky will fall.

Remember the season and games very well. I was at the Auburn game sitting in a drizzly rain. I believe it was the year before Bo Jackson got there. They weren't bad, but there was a lot grumbling about TO and not being good and needing a change.

The point of bringing up this is that just because you start out 1-2 there is no guarantee the sky will fall.

I was a 5-year old kid, going to my first Husker game ever at that Auburn game. I had thought that Jackson was on the team, but you are right, he was a freshman in 1982 (winning the Heisman as a senior in 1985).

The big thing with 1981 was the emergence of Turner Gill. The QB play was awful in NU's first 2 losses that year.

We were officially eliminated from the college football playoff with Saturday's loss to Miami. Seen that yesterday on college football daily, different time then obviously.

What does that mean? We certainly aren't mathematically eliminated yet. Every team ranked ahead of us could finish out the season .500.

We are realistically eliminated, but not "officially".

• Fire 1