Concerns about the D and telling quotes

lo country

I know that Davie gets a lot of heat for the game against Miami. If IIRC, they scored 19 points after he was pulled and 17 before....... Not starting another thread on Davie, but he is the focus of my concerns. Not as a player, but as a scheme.

So against USA, Davie was exposed. Fans were concerned. Next week we would face Kaaya, I guy who I think will play Sundays. Fast forward to the press conference:

“We could have rolled the corners up and played the safeties over the top, but in that game, it wasn’t about statistics,” Banker said of the South Alabama game. “It was about getting those guys ready to play those balls.”

Stewart hinted that NU does have fixes that it didn’t have to show against South Alabama.

“We were ahead by a few points,” Stewart said, “so there was no need in tipping our hand and showing them other things when we can just ride it out and get our guys to play 50-50 balls.” (for the record IIRC Davie was beat by USA 8 out of 11...not 50/50)

So how did we "adjust" the scheme, how did we get those guys to play the ball? Their idea was to have Davie beat and humiliated? The reality is that Banker is married to this system. It's all he knows. 3 games in isn't an anomaly. It what his D is......

Here are some quotes after the game from Kaaya. Seems it might not only be a "high school" D to play in, but possibly one to go against as well.....

Quote from Kaaya:

But Hurricane quarterback Brad Kaaya still threw for a career-high 379 yards. After the game, Kaaya said Miami's players had watched a lot of Banker's old team — Oregon State — to get a bead on how to attack Nebraska.

“It was a lot of quarters coverage — safeties Nate Gerry and (Byerson) Cockrell playing 10 yards from the line of scrimmage,” Kaaya said. “Their linebackers like to turn and run so we thought we could expose them with certain crossing routes. ... It's a good defense. It's a veteran group. But with those safeties being locked on those inside receivers, that was a huge thing for us. Watching Gerry — he's all over the field. When Nate Gerry's to the field, we know they're bringing some kind of buzz (blitz) or piggybacking the linebacker, so, usually, Nate Gerry's the guy you watch. He's the one making plays.”

Props to Gerry. Looks like folks don't like to go his way!

• Fire 1

Didn't you already post this in the trash Davie thread?

Yes. How is it trash. The coaches said they could adjust and didn't? I'm not the one who "hinted we had fixes, but didn't want to tip our hand"....... So how is me highlighting the coaches comments trash?

Just wanted to see thoughts on the actual scheme as an issue vs a specific player. Davie got beat, no doubt. 2 games in a row. Stewart even told him to be ready. he wasn't and there was no change in scheme to help him. That's coaching IMO. Not a player....

• Fire 2

Davie shouldn't see the field again this season. That's a start to fixing the defense.

But they scored 19 after he was benched. My point being is it all on Davie or more an issue to the scheme as whole? I think its more schematic than player specific. If this is Bankers system for the past decade can he/will he adjust.
How many mins did they score the 17 points in vs the 19?

Davie shouldn't see the field again this season. That's a start to fixing the defense.

But they scored 19 after he was benched. My point being is it all on Davie or more an issue to the scheme as whole? I think its more schematic than player specific. If this is Bankers system for the past decade can he/will he adjust.

He got benched in the first quarter.... How do you attempt to make this analogy?

He got benched in the first quarter.... How do you attempt to make this analogy?

I guess I could have said he only threw 1 TD against Davie, and another one in the game later on. Or that he threw for 143 yrds in the first quartet and 236 after or went for over 200 yrds on first downs alone, but yea Davie sucks. It's his fault NU lost. The scheme is perfect. He failed to execute......... My point being Davie had issues. My point being that Stewart hinted at a fix as did Banker. The point being, Banker and Stewart don't have a fix. Coming into Miami we were ranked 119 against the pass......

Banker said the main problem with the defense on Saturday was execution.

If he's still saying the problem is "execution" in year 7 after getting burned for NCAA records and nationally televised blowouts I'll lead the pitchfork and torch brigade down 10th street. But since he's been in town about 9 months and it's game 3 of a new defense to these players, perhaps execution is a legitimate answer.

• Fire 1