Secondary play...

BIG ERN

Passing yards stats aren't pretty, but don't allow touchdowns, force a few turnovers, and continue stopping the run.

If the offense can cover your ass, you've got good odds.

Stave got lucky and had a lot of "would be" interceptions dropped or that Wisconsin game would have been much different. Leidner may have gotten a lot of yards, but we forced Minnesota out of their comfort zone, and it paid off with a few interceptions.

We have a winning formula. We could still get better at executing it, but yards don't matter if they don't score, and if we force teams out of their comfort zone, turnovers will happen. It's gonna work out more and more the better these players get in these systems. Offense did a great job of making sure they took advantage of the opportunities they had.

I have always believed that it is difficult to consistently score points without a run game. There is just too much variability, and it becomes difficult in the red zone. Keep shutting down the run. As maddening as it is to have an opposing QB be 16/17, the D has done enough to win every game. Our inept offense and game management is the major problem.

Remembering those discussions about different overages:

Banker acknowledged to reporters that the Huskers didn’t consistently cover Minnesota’s tight ends and wideouts, especially on corner routes. Nebraska had switched coverages to address the problem.

“We got in a different coverage, took it away and that’s where the two picks came from,” Banker said.

OWH

So we run a different coverage scheme and get two quick INTs, one returned for a TD. Hmmmmmmmm..................

Banker acknowledged to reporters that the Huskers didn’t consistently cover Minnesota’s tight ends and wideouts, especially on corner routes. Nebraska had switched coverages to address the problem.

“We got in a different coverage, took it away and that’s where the two picks came from,” Banker said.

OWH

So we run a different coverage scheme and get two quick INTs, one returned for a TD. Hmmmmmmmm..................

It only took 3 1/2 quarters to make an adjustment..... #progress

And - again - it's not just the deep throws. Short throws are WAY to easy. Makes below-average QBs look really good.

The short stuff has been the biggest issue I see. Quick outs, comebacks and slants will be the death of us. It has been already. Newby had a decent game attacking some of it vs Wisconsin, but I haven't seen that type of play from anyone else on those types of quick passes. I didn't get a true opportunity to watch the Minnesota game since I was in Chicago spending time with the fam, so I didn't get a true sense of how Liedner (a joke of a qb) got his 300 yards. But I assume a lot had to do with short, well timed passes.

Banker acknowledged to reporters that the Huskers didnt consistently cover Minnesotas tight ends and wideouts, especially on corner routes. Nebraska had switched coverages to address the problem.

We got in a different coverage, took it away and thats where the two picks came from, Banker said.

OWH

It only took 3 1/2 quarters to make an adjustment..... #progress

the fact that this coaching staff actually made an adjustment instead of sticking with what they were doing while claiming that the players just needed to "execute" really is progress