Now that the Non-conference is over, what are your thoughts/expectations for this season?

Saunders

What's our record to finish the year?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We are 1/3 of the way through the season. I think we've improved in some areas (specifically QB play and Run D) and fallen off in others (Pass D and penalties). What are your thoughts for the first 4 games, and what do you expect for the rest of the season?

Myself, I thought we would have a 3-1 or 4-0 start, but we couldn't close it out against BYU and Miami. We've had growing pains on D, but we seem to be a bend don't break D because teams have moved the ball between the 20's, at which point we've clamped down. I'm still a bit shocked at how bad our passing defense is, and I think it's a combo of technique, and scheme. Our Run D has been lights out, and while we haven't really faced a power run team yet, we should still be much, MUCH better than last year. Bray has done a pretty good job with a skeleton LB crew. My concern, is that we are such a mess on the back end, that any QB will throw for 250+ against us.

Offense has been better than expected, but we're a bit too reliant on the passing game. Tommy's been legit (run, don't throw into traffic though!) and I LOVED seeing Janovich get the ball. Dude's a beast. The drops were (mostly)gone this week from the WR's, and let's hope they maintain the focus. We need to be able to run the ball, control the clock, and protect the depleted defense.

We need to get the injured guys back asap, specifically Michael Rose-Ivey. As for the rest of the year, If I had to guess today, I think we're gonna play alot of close games, and I think we finish 6-2 or 5-3 in conference. With an improved pass D, and if DPE comes back in good form, we could get to 7-1 and win the division.

• Fire 2

If we play to our potential, we could beat every single team left on our schedule. If the defense does not get fixed though, we could be looking at a rough go of it. After getting gashed through the sky 3 times already, I am hoping the fix to this problem will be coming soon. I think it will, and I predict 7-1.

Tommy has been good, not great. Better than last year for sure, but he still has things to improve on.

Newby isn't a great RB. Neither is Cross. Wilbon has the highest ceiling, but hasn't seen the field since South Alabama for whatever reason.

Westerkamp is Mr. Reliable. Reilly is showing flashes. Alonzo is much improved. Stanley Morgan is going to be a great one. Wish we had DPE for these last 4 games.

Cethan Carter has been a disappointment for many reasons. That entire group hasn't been nearly as vital as I figured they would.

O-line has been decent. Not nearly as good as we want it, but when your captain is Alex Lewis, there you go.

Defensive line is stout against the rush, but the only pass rushing threat to emerge is Freedom. I wish I heard McMullen's name more. Maliek and VV have been underwhelming.

Linebackers have been solid, although banged up. Bando has done good things. I like Dedric Young. Too bad Newby got hurt.

Secondary is awful. No way around it. It seems like if we could just play the ball better, we wouldn't be giving up so many yards. Brian Stewart isn't earning his paycheck, that's for sure.

Sam Foltz got hurt, sure, but he hasn't done anything to wow me this year. Drew Brown is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Can't rely on him in crunch time.

Really wish Riley would have taken the opportunity after the game to kind of rip into the team a little bit. I know he's mister nice guy, but the "hip hip hooray" shtick has gotten old fast. You were a 22 point favorite at home and you won by 8. That does not warrant any sort of post game celebration.

Also. Janovich is a beast. Get him the damn ball.

• Fire 2

I"m a heavy koolaid drinker at the beginning of each year, and this year was no exception. Still drinking koolaid, but it's been watered down a bit.

Was hoping the "new coach, need to rebuild with 'his' players" phenomenon wouldn't be so evident, but it is. Can't and won't make any judgments about MR and coaching staff's abilities yet. Off the field, the program just has a better feel about it now. Not sure if that is because Bo isn't here, or because MR is here. Probably both.

Having patience is a wonderful thing, until you actually need it. Have gone from expectations for a great year to "ride this year out and watch for progress and recruiting".

Side note: Spell check doesn't like the word "koolaid". It recommends "Nikolai". What's up with that?

!!!!!!GO BIG RED!!!!!!

- Tommy is a gamer and much improved.

- Newby and Cross are not reliable backs. We need someone to step up big time at RB.

- WR is still the best group on the team.

- What is a TE?

- OL has shown some good things. I like Gates and Utter.

- Defense is good against the run. But zero pass rush outside of a guy that was a TE a few months ago.

- Secondary... woof.

- Penalties are a huge concern.

Final record: 8-4

• Fire 1

If we go any better than .500 in conference play I'll be shocked. I predicted 9-4 at the start of the season, and people called me a Negative Nancy; I said I was being cautiously pessimistic. Looking back on things, I think I was actually being overly optimistic. This just isn't a very good football team.