Perfect Storm Brewing?

Yesterday's performance has me, a pretty mellow, "give the new guy a chance - one year is not enough" and "we can't afford (reputation and continuity, not $$$) another coaching change" kind of guy. But I found myself lamenting that there really is no way out at this point.

Then I read through several of the posts in various threads and a scenario began to form in my head.

Unless this team continues to implode and we start seeing not only losses, but blowouts and teams giving up, I don't see any publicly acceptable reason to release this staff after one year.

So here is the storm. With a new AD, the change in coaches can always be justified, "new guy wants to choose his team". But our AD is new too, and the "give him some time to establish things" honeymoon protects SE as well.

Now, here is where the gale force winds pick up. The man that picked the AD is leaving soon from all reports. I don't think it could happen this next year, but if Perlman exits, this becomes possible:

1. New Chancellor wants "his guy" in the AD position (we buy a top notch AD from the SEC or somewhere)

2. New AD chooses (obtains funding to buy) a new top notch coach

3. New top notch coach, per stipulations in his contract, hires (buys) recognized top notch assistants. (in contract: "You will hire coordinators that have been at top 10 teams and have these following characteristics -- 1. xxxx 2. xxxxx, etc) Leave ZERO room for bringing in buddies, unless those buddies are proven talents.

This scenario give legitimacy to replacing recent hires.

"Fixing" Nebraska football, at this point, can only be done with $$$$$$, and lots of it. The question is, can Nebraska football be fixed at all? If fixing means returning to the dominance we had in the 90s. Not sure it can, but if it can, MONEY will be the key.

• Fire 2

Nebraska has plenty of green, I assure you. The common denominator for our past three coaches (Callahan, Bo, and Riley) is that none of them were proven commodities. None of them were proven winners or elite head coaches. In order to right this ship we need someone who is a PROVEN big-time coach and recruiter. At this point we can't afford to gamble on a young up-and-comer. My top 3 are Richt, Tressel, and Kelly for those reasons.

I just don't see us spending lots and lots of money. Like I said in another post. Even a truck load of cash wouldn't convince a top notch coach to come here. Last time an AD tried to lure such a guy we ended up with about our 11th choice and that was after being in the NC only a few years earlier. Outside of Nebraska and it's alums Nebraska is an after thought. It sucks, but it's the truth. And even Riley said other coach's told him he was crazy to take this job iirc.

Kudos to you though for thinking up a positive scenario.

When Nebraska was on top, it had a local (TO) who was head man. Throw money at all those others, and your just throwing away money. They don't care about Nebraska or its football program, but they would come here for the fringe benefits of money. If Callahan taught us anything, it should have been that. He recruited 4 and 5 star talent to Nebraska, but it was ininspired talent playing for the name on the back of the jersey, not for Nebraska. Why would any other coach ever come here for any other reason than for the money. Yeah, Richt or Kelly would win 9 games a year, but how long would they remain in place before glam job came open? Callahan and Pelini won 8 and 9 games for the most part, but didn't have the love of the program or state in order for it to ever succeed for a long lasting time. Fire Eichorst, fire Riley and bring in Trev Alberts as AD and he will bring in Scot Frost. Those two men know Nebraska Football and love the program still to this day. This would then bring in your alums that made this program what it once was. Stop with throwing money at the hot new hire like a bunch of spoiled rotten bitches and realize that this is not Alabama or Texas. Get back to what made NU football great, and that is pride in the program, and pride in the STATE of Nebraska. Thats how its been proven to be done in the past, and thats the only way it will ever get back to its ways. Devaney made it work for 9 years, but it was Osborne who sustained this program for 25 years and made it what it was, more than most will admit or realize. It was Osbornes program.

• Fire 5

When Nebraska was on top, it had a local (TO) who was head man. Throw money at all those others, and your just throwing away money. They don't care about Nebraska or its football program, but they would come here for the fringe benefits of money. If Callahan taught us anything, it should have been that. He recruited 4 and 5 star talent to Nebraska, but it was ininspired talent playing for the name on the back of the jersey, not for Nebraska. Why would any other coach ever come here for any other reason than for the money. Yeah, Richt or Kelly would win 9 games a year, but how long would they remain in place before glam job came open? Callahan and Pelini won 8 and 9 games for the most part, but didn't have the love of the program or state in order for it to ever succeed for a long lasting time. Fire Eichorst, fire Riley and bring in Trev Alberts as AD and he will bring in Scot Frost. Those two men know Nebraska Football and love the program still to this day. This would then bring in your alums that made this program what it once was. Stop with throwing money at the hot new hire like a bunch of spoiled rotten bitches and realize that this is not Alabama or Texas. Get back to what made NU football great, and that is pride in the program, and pride in the STATE of Nebraska. Thats how its been proven to be done in the past, and thats the only way it will ever get back to its ways. Devaney made it work for 9 years, but it was Osborne who sustained this program for 25 years and made it what it was, more than most will admit or realize. It was Osbornes program.

Then explain how non-Bama, non-Auburn, non-Florida, non-(insert team here) HC can inspire non-(insert non-homestate player name here) to play lights out for their non-school? What happened during Osborne's tenure will never, ever, ever happen again. We have to recruit non-Nebraska kids to play. Period. I like Frost, but I'm very suspect of his ability as a HC. Everyone seems to think the best off/def coordinator out there will make an awesome HC and return the team to the promise land. Pelini is proof that's not true.

I'm not so sure there are not other scenarios.........

We might not need to change ALL coaches, just a few (notably.........the OC).

The problem with Langsford is that he thinks the NFL "way" is always adaptable to the college game; and that means a pro-style offense in his mind. Nevermind that DONU will never be the TOP choice for all the 7 on 7 wonderkind who have the entire NCAA to choose from.

I hate to keep pounding on IDENTITY...........but from our position in the national landscape, we need to offer something different.

Most have believed that running the ball and controlling the clock was an obvious selection. As we've seen in the last 5 weeks, Langsdorf doesn't agree.

I'm not giving up on Riley yet, but I do fault him for his selection of an OC...........whose preferred style tells us what Riley believes is the way to go.

If these coaches are as experienced as their resumes suggest, MR should re-assess his philosophy of the offense and and the OC and make some changes.

I'm not so sure there are not other scenarios.........

We might not need to change ALL coaches, just a few (notably.........the OC).

The problem with Langsford is that he thinks the NFL "way" is always adaptable to the college game; and that means a pro-style offense in his mind. Nevermind that DONU will never be the TOP choice for all the 7 on 7 wonderkind who have the entire NCAA to choose from.

I hate to keep pounding on IDENTITY...........but from our position in the national landscape, we need to offer something different.

Most have believed that running the ball and controlling the clock was an obvious selection. As we've seen in the last 5 weeks, Langsdorf doesn't agree.

I'm not giving up on Riley yet, but I do fault him for his selection of an OC...........whose preferred style tells us what Riley believes is the way to go.

If these coaches are as experienced as their resumes suggest, MR should re-assess his philosophy of the offense and and the OC and make some changes.

I've given up on Riley but I'm willing to give him the opportunity to change, at the very least, his OC. If he doesn't, he needs to get let go.

this is actually a pretty good point.

Let's not leave out that it was different times in terms of NCAA regs, scholarship limits, team size limits (that allowed the hugely successful walk on program) and many other factors that had absolutely nothing to do with "Nebraska Men doing it the Nebraska Way"...Hell, Devaney wasn't a Nebraskan. Hate to tell you, but all the pride in the world isn't going to get Nebraska back to where I imagine you dream they should be. That was then, this is now. Our lightning escaped the bottle, and while I will be an avid fan till the day I die, as I have been since listening on the radio with my grandfather in the early/mid 60s, I truly think that the 'Nebraska Way' will not bring us back, and that buying our way back to an elite status is not only feasible, it is the only way it is going to happen.

• Fire 3

How anyone thought hiring a coach with a West Coast offense mentality would work at Nebraska is crazy! And yet here we are again on the offensive identity roller-coaster. This is what scared me most about the Riley hire, but I gave a sliver of hope that maybe he could adapt and bring in the right assistant coaches. Not looking so good.

Solich (Running) - Callahan (Passing) - Pelini (Running) - Riley (Passing).

The problem with your scenario is that is far too much time to make change. I can't take 2-3 years of this. The more years we stick with Riley and let him implement his system, the longer the rebuild will be to get out of it.

We all know this isn't going to work out. We all knew deep down from the beggining a life long .500 coach wasn't going to suddenly become a national title contender, but we are all die hard Cornhusker fans that we wanted to believe it to work.

Best case scenario is to dump him now. Dont give him time to implement his system, because the longer he is here the longer it will take to fix what he changes with the next coach. Admit the loss of a season now and move on. Heck, how awesome would it be if they just fired him now and Osborne was brought in as interim head coach. Obviously firing Riley mid season of his first year will never happen, but I can dream, right? But seriously, this isn't going to work so get rid of him at years end. Soon we will start to see the player give up on him too.

Echorst is a flop as well. He failed at Miami, he failed at Nebraska. How, with as big of a university as Nebraska is, do you hire your next head coach within a week of firing your old one? Seeminly only giving interviews to a select few and then coming away with a 62 year old .500 coach? Utter failure.

Yesterdays game has left an empty feeling in my stomach. Riley is way too over his head in Lincoln. He had a cushion job in Corvallis, where losing seasons were acceptable and no one turned the heater on his seat. That is not going to fly in Lincoln. I don't know if he realized that.

Maybe best case scenario is Riley is such a nice guy, he realizes he cant succeed here and he has failed that he just resigns at years end. Now Mike, that would be the real nice thing to do.

• Fire 1

LOL the overreactions to the game are hilarious.

Last week "i really like what langsdorf has done, great hire!"

"fire riley, at the very least fire langsdorf and get someone competent in the position!"

It's good the team can still beat the likes of Southern Mississippi, but they almost threw that game away too.

However, it can't beat even the worse of the B1G teams.

LOL the overreactions to the game are hilarious.

Last week "i really like what langsdorf has done, great hire!"

"fire riley, at the very least fire langsdorf and get someone competent in the position!"

Because they haven't down anything as dumb as the playcalling that happened yesterday. An experienced staff doesn't let what transpired yesterday happen