Should Mike Riley bench Tommy Armstrong?

Plaza23

No, he's the best we have. Maybe Darlington is a better passer but he'd be risking his life with the number of concussions he's had.

The problem is the coaching....end of story.

Yep. When a team's starting QB loses faith in his coaches by week 5 and starts to call his own plays...well..."Houston, we have a problem."

TA is the only reason we are not 1-4 right now and the only reason why we didn't get blown out by Miami and you want him benched? That's comical

Tommy is the main reason we have lost 3 games. Don't make me go into it again. Coaching gaffs no doubt, but Tommy can really muck it up sometimes.

I disagree...lots of blame to pass around.

Yep. When a team's starting QB loses faith in his coaches by week 5 and starts to call his own plays...well..."Houston, we have a problem."

wtf are you even saying? I've never used the 'ignore' function on this forum, but you're probably a good candidate.

You basically made up your point out of something that isn't there.

You are likely making way to much out of a simple mistaken in the verbage or something like that. Most likely the play was a 51 QB roll out right - no pass option and he simply caught it all but the 'no' in there. then Tommy speaks the play into the huddle with the pass option in instead of out. As a result, the players ran the play wrong. Probably very similar in many or nearly all ways except that it is designed for Tommy to run laterally to burn some extra clock and maybe get lucky and find a hole to cut up and get the first down.

Safer than a hand off arguably and yet with his running ability, a chance for a first down or more even. Nobody's fault as such - simply a failure in the communication process or Tommy forgot the play or as I say he heard it wrong. It can happen easily I am sure. Why don't we all give all involved the benefit of the doubt rather than convicting them or some of them to some capital offense and the sentence is banishment forever. That is simply nuts!

You are likely making way to much out of a simple mistaken in the verbage or something like that. Most likely the play was a 51 QB roll out right - no pass option and he simply caught it all but the 'no' in there. then Tommy speaks the play into the huddle with the pass option in instead of out. As a result, the players ran the play wrong. Probably very similar in many or nearly all ways except that it is designed for Tommy to run laterally to burn some extra clock and maybe get lucky and find a hole to cut up and get the first down.

Safer than a hand off arguably and yet with his running ability, a chance for a first down or more even. Nobody's fault as such - simply a failure in the communication process or Tommy forgot the play or as I say he heard it wrong. It can happen easily I am sure. Why don't we all give all involved the benefit of the doubt rather than convicting them or some of them to some capital offense and the sentence is banishment forever. That is simply nuts!

That's a reasonable explanation. Or maybe he knew he wasn't supposed to pass it, but he improvised. He saw that he could avoid a loss of yardage (taking us out of what he thought was FG range), and could possibly win the game, by completing a three-yard pass to Ozigbo. Remember, if we get the first down we win, at that point. In that split second--throw it, or don't throw it--neither Tommy nor anyone else could have predicted that Illinois would march down the field in 50 seconds and score a go ahead touchdown. The consequences of that third down pass look much worse in retrospect than they did in that split second.

Who on here was knows for a fact that Tommy called the right play that the coaches signaled? Who on here knows that for sure? I am not questioning Tommy's ability, but rather his leadership ability. Jeff George was as talented as any QB to ever lace up cleats, but had no leadership, and teams got tired of playing with and for him. I question leadership. Brook Beringer was not a top tier option QB, but his leadership propelled the rest of the team to do their part, thus making him a hero. Something to be said for gathering the troops around you, and them believing you can get the job done.

All in all, right now the QB is one position. I see many spots on both sides of the ball that need some attention. Where do you start? Whose attention is grabbed first?

On a fair note for Tommy, when your best receiver is Westerkamp, your options become easy defensive game plans. DPE would and will make a difference if he sees the field. I am thinking he is the golden goose for Riley. Great excuse for lack of offense is to say your best threat on offense didn't see the field this year. Your game changing punt.kickoff returner was sidelined..........

Who on here was knows for a fact that Tommy called the right play that the coaches signaled? Who on here knows that for sure? I am not questioning Tommy's ability, but rather his leadership ability. Jeff George was as talented as any QB to ever lace up cleats, but had no leadership, and teams got tired of playing with and for him. I question leadership. Brook Beringer was not a top tier option QB, but his leadership propelled the rest of the team to do their part, thus making him a hero. Something to be said for gathering the troops around you, and them believing you can get the job done.

All in all, right now the QB is one position. I see many spots on both sides of the ball that need some attention. Where do you start? Whose attention is grabbed first?

On a fair note for Tommy, when your best receiver is Westerkamp, your options become easy defensive game plans. DPE would and will make a difference if he sees the field. I am thinking he is the golden goose for Riley. Great excuse for lack of offense is to say your best threat on offense didn't see the field this year. Your game changing punt.kickoff returner was sidelined..........

There are a lot of things you can question on Tommy Armstrong. Leadership is not one of them.

Why are we even discussing benching Tommy. Statistically this has easily been his best year I would think.

If Tommy is struggling to grasp the offense, if you believe that, what makes you think one of the back ups would come in and be a better starter????

This thread = dumb.

Tommy is the main reason we have lost 3 games. Don't make me go into it again. Coaching gaffs no doubt, but Tommy can really muck it up sometimes.

This is a terrible post. GTFO with this stuff.

Ok, I will explain it again for the low educated;

This is a three year starter remember, not a rookie

BYU - Tommy snapped the ball several times with 12-15 seconds left on the play clock, allowing BYU time for a last drive. The game should have been over after the fieldgoal attempt.

Miami - Throws an ill advised pass while off balance and is intercepted on the first play in overtime. could have easly thrown it away and tried again

Illinois - Tommy gets a call for a quarterback bootleg (one of the safest plays in football) instead of just going down and running out the clock, the throws a terrible pass and stops the clock, allowing plenty of time for Illinois to march down the field and score.

There ya go, hope that helps. Everything is an undisputed fact.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tommy, he is the best quarterback we have and has great heart, he just screws up sometimes and it has cost us games