3rd and 7.

Janovich was getting positive yards before that and Illinois knew we were running the ball and couldn't stop it. It's Sunday and I still can't believe what happened yesterday.

I would've much preferred another run up the middle, but we didn't get to 3rd and 7 because Illinois "couldn't stop it".

wouldnt you want the other 10 guys selling the pass to disguise that it is a bootleg run?

Depends on design and philosophy and also the situation in the game. Its not black and white like that.

It also wasn't a bootleg.

no, it is black and white like that. only difference in this play and others like it, is the pass option was supposed to not be used.

and you can call it whatever you want, the rest of the free world will refer to it as a bootleg which it was.

wouldnt you want the other 10 guys selling the pass to disguise that it is a bootleg run?

Depends on design and philosophy and also the situation in the game. Its not black and white like that.

It also wasn't a bootleg.

no, it is black and white like that. only difference in this play and others like it, is the pass option was supposed to not be used.

and you can call it whatever you want, the rest of the free world will refer to it as a bootleg which it was.

LOL no. It's not a bootleg.

Boot is always away from the play fake.

Roll is always to the play fake (which is what happened)

You never call 2 completely different things the same. If you do, you are an idiot (you being used in generalities)

Oh who cares whatever the hell it is. someone did the wrong thing. Bootleg. rollout. read option. triple option. outside zone. blast whatevs.

casual fans dont understand the exact terminoloy and the intracacies surrounding such T. And thats ok. They dont need to. Like he said, to a lot of folks it's known as a common bootleg. Not everyone coaches and knows the ins and outs of the game like you. You dont have to talk down to such a notion.

Im more concerned with the actual call and the management of the game situation. I still think folks are prying way to hard at his comments. Even if it was a pass play, and told Tommy not to pass and just run and so on, what they say is not a lie. And it's not throwing a guy under a bus. You cant go from demanding full accountability in the Alex Lewis situation to demanding a cover up for your qb that may have screwed up. Thats hypocrisy at the most basic definition.

All Riley and Langsdorf did was answer a question. Which is a hell of a lot more than "you saw it. You tell me". They answered a question in what I believe actually is an honest manner. I'm more concerned with wrapping my head around the situation on the field and how that was handled. Thats where the game was lost. Not some answer to a question.

Tommys a veteran player who's shown self accountability. He can handle it.

Average football IQ tells you to at the worst slide and cut your loss, without a coach having to hold your hand in the process. Whether they should have lined up disguised as a pass play or just handoff, that's a separate argument. But wouldn't we expect our starting QB to run and keep the clock running?

Here is what I fail to understand. Let us just assume that Riley was telling the truth and that Armstrong decided to pass even though he was told not to do so. After the third down play, there was a timeout taken. Why didn't the coaches tell Armstrong NOT to PASS. Or Heck, take the sack if you have to. The point is there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this disaster of play calling. If you told me that we had the ball at the 27 yard line with 55 seconds to go and we were up 13 to 7 and we lost the game, I would have said you are lying but seeing is believing. Drew Brown has been good, let him at least try to win it for us and put the game out of reach. Here is my issue, if we are not capable of beating Illinois then it is extremely hard to see us win again. Purdue has a QB that is lights out in long passing and we are dead last against the pass. I simply can't see us truning the corner any time soon. This coach might be a nice guy but if he has not won anything in 40 years, what makes us think that he will win here. Let's face it, our AD flexed his muscle and got HIS guy without doing his job and actually seeking out the RIGHT man for the job. I do not believe that a coach needs four years to turn things around. AT LEAST NOT in a program with such pride and loyal fans. How did the coaches at Michigan and Florida do it. They took over disasters and their teams are making a BIG splash. We have become insiginificant. No one talks about Nebraska football anymore unless it is a BIG play against us. I have been a loyal fan ever since I can remember and I go to all the games I can but it is getting harder and harder to see my beloved Huskers turned into a laughing stock of college football. I am not saying Bo was teh right person and I am glad he is gone but this person is not RIGHT either. He is loyal to his coaching staff which means that he will not make the necessary changes to correct things. There are no positives any more. We lost the last record by losing our first game and we are a punching bag for any program that wants to make a splash. It is a disgrace to call this defense the blackshirts because it is a slap to the face of every player that actually played defense at Nebraska. I honestly do not believe that this coaching staff is capable of producing nine win seasons.

THE single worst play call from a Husker football team since I started following in 1988. Someone tell me a worse play call. Ever.

Jammal Lord checking out of any play. Always went to the short side of the field with the option. Every. Single. Check.

Whatever play that Joe Dailey ran out of bounds on 4th down.

THE single worst play call from a Husker football team since I started following in 1988. Someone tell me a worse play call. Ever.

Jammal Lord checking out of any play. Always went to the short side of the field with the option. Every. Single. Check.
. Didn't Lord throw the ball out of bounds on a fourth down or with time expiring or something like that against Texas where it was a final desperation play? Wasn't there also a play against southern miss where Dailey ran out of bounds when the game was over instead of heaving a Hail Mary or just anything? I don't remember the details of those two, but they were probably just as stupid.

I agree that the end of this game was some of the worst game management I have ever seen, but honestly the real problem is that this game was even 13-7 at that point to begin with. We absolutely outclassed them talent wise. The way things looked at the LoS this should have been a pounding.

I didn't know where else to put this but I have seen people mentioning that we shouldn't have been passing much because of the weather. I went through and looked at the other B1G games in the same region to see what they had done offensively and I can say, we weren't that different then others.

Team Pass Rush

NU 31 34

Mich 33 40

NW 19 51

IA 21 40

Wisc 38 34

Ind 36 55

tOSU 27 34

It was more like, the way things went throughout the game, and not just that we were passing but going deep time and time again while you watch the ball sail in the wind. But you would see us run and get good yards then throw two bombs or maybe run it twice and get a first down and then bam its bomb time again. Also I don't think langsdorf will call a run on third own of any kind unless it's 1 or 2 yards.

I didn't know where else to put this but I have seen people mentioning that we shouldn't have been passing much because of the weather. I went through and looked at the other B1G games in the same region to see what they had done offensively and I can say, we weren't that different then others.

Team Pass Rush

NU 31 34

Mich 33 40

NW 19 51

IA 21 40

Wisc 38 34

Ind 36 55

tOSU 27 34

Do you not understand math? All of those teams have a higher % of running the ball except for Wisconsin, and Wisky was down the entire 2nd half so they had to throw the ball around late in the game.

Also, it was the long passes that were thrown that made most everyone crazy. It was TA was throwing 500 out there. There were 9 passes over 25 yards in the air thrown. That's just foolish.

Team Pass Rush

NU 31 34

Mich 33 40

NW 19 51

IA 21 40

Wisc 38 34

Ind 36 55

tOSU 27 34

Do you not understand math? All of those teams have a higher % of running the ball except for Wisconsin, and Wisky was down the entire 2nd half so they had to throw the ball around late in the game.

Also, it was the long passes that were thrown that made most everyone crazy. It was TA was throwing 500 out there. There were 9 passes over 25 yards in the air thrown. That's just foolish.

I understand math just fine but apparently you don't. They have a higher % because they ran more plays then we did except for OSU and NW.