Riley Must Win 'X' Number Of Games To Make It Another Year

Is Riley in danger of getting fired?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm super heated over this failure of a job from the coaching staff and the failure of hiring from Echorst. But no matter how many ranting posts I create, it won't matter. No matter how many ranting threads are created around Husker nation, it won't matter. As much as I want Riley gone, no way does he get fired after his first year. Bill Callahan for godsake was given 4 years. And it took a change at the top to even get that thing started.

It would be one of the dumbest moves in college football to fire Riley and staff after one year. I don't give a sh#t how much money you throw at a top coach, they won't take the job.

I agree with this. Maybe he'll just retire.

Hate to say it but that is probably what will have to happen in order for us to save face.

Before the season I would have said 7, which is really pushing it because why exactly did we fire our last coach? Because we were looking for someone to take us to the next level. I maintained there was enough talent on this team to win the Big 10 West the last couple of years, and felt that with the right hire we could maximize that and immediately make a push this year with 10-11 wins. Sadly, guys who performed well in the past appear to have regressed and few look as though they have gotten better. It's now looking like a complete rebuilding job, and one that has us moving away from what Nebraska has traditionally done, which is a darn shame. As things stand now, I'll say 5 wins, only because I find it hard to believe the higher ups will fire a guy after only one year. That's pathetic. When you can't beat Illinois, a team not even in the same stratosphere as Nebraska in terms of talent, you are in a sad position indeed.

My comments are not aimed at you, but the bolded kills me. The guy took over a 9 win program and we are now dumpster fire. The clown can't even get out of his own way. Did you see the stats on ESPN? Per mathematical calculations, the chance for NU to lose against BYU in that last second was 98.5%. The chances to lose to Illinois in the last 55 seconds? 99.5%.

We have been saddled with some also ran whose best years are behind him. A .536 coach at a mid tier OSU. Why did I ever think this "experienced" guy was worth a win or two. We are dead last in pass defense. Dead friggin last. First time 2-3 since 1959 IIRC. This guy inherited talent, an easy schedule and a fanatically loyal fan base, some of the best facilities in the nation, one of the greatest coaches to coach the game, alumni who succeeded at the collegiate level and beyond and he is failing.........miserably.

There is not a magic number for me. Finish the season, fire some of your buddies and we can talk. Same deal Frank got and wasn't fulfilled. IMO, he fired the right guys, went 10-3 and got screwed. I'd give Riley the same option. Now. Let him start shopping. Oz got 71 yards on 7 carries. WTH! And Langs presser shows why that was all. He has no clue how to use a running game. You don't think recruits are watching this?

I will not be surprised if we go 4-8 this year. Maybe even lose out.

I agree with everything you said. It is sickening and didn't have to be this way if the right hire was made. This was not a team that needed to rebuild, it just needed a new and better voice to take that next step.

At first I feel kind of bad for Riley. The guy probably can't even leave his home and go out to eat without feeling embarrassed. Then I realize he's making 2.7 million a year. He needs to do his damn job.

At first I felt bad for him too. Then I realized he left a cushion job at Oregon State where he never got any heat for the decade + he was there, and he took this job HOPEFULLY KNOWING that the fan base and media in Lincoln was far more invested in its football program than Corvallis was.

He needs to know this isn't Oregon State anymore. You don't win here, you are going to get heat. If you can't take it, or realize you are in over your head, then step away.

It will be interesting with the new chancellor. Only thing i ask is we get someone completely opposite of Pearlbag. Someone who can bring back the big money donors, hires an actual AD(not a mouthpiece), and makes the football program a priority.