I'm giving Mike Riley 4years before drawing any conclusions!

chainsaw

AFhusker, you have interesting stuff thanks. And count is right time is not on his side. Peter was on the radio the other day saying "how long of fix was this really?" Let him get it set up and Danny takes over?

Sounds like a good idea, not sure DL will want to wait 6-8 years though

3 or 4 seasons. Yes it takes time. We haven't beaten a ranked team that has meaning for so long. I would love to see this team win some "upsets". Forget getting 9 wins a season, when those 9 wins involved poor non-con teams, and quite frankly beating teams that had nothing but guts. Don't forget this program hasn't won a meaningful game in years. We have lost games every season since 2002 that we shouldn't, and some that never should have happened. Thats changing the mentality first. We still haven't changed that losing mentality. That mentality, we done our best, just wasn't good enough today. Thats the attitude of losers. This is what has impaired this program now for 13 years. It will keep going that way until we keep a coach, and let a coach, coach his way and his style and just sit and watch.

3 or 4 seasons. Yes it takes time. We haven't beaten a ranked team that has meaning for so long. I would love to see this team win some "upsets". Forget getting 9 wins a season, when those 9 wins involved poor non-con teams, and quite frankly beating teams that had nothing but guts. Don't forget this program hasn't won a meaningful game in years. We have lost games every season since 2002 that we shouldn't, and some that never should have happened. Thats changing the mentality first. We still haven't changed that losing mentality. That mentality, we done our best, just wasn't good enough today. Thats the attitude of losers. This is what has impaired this program now for 13 years. It will keep going that way until we keep a coach, and let a coach, coach his way and his style and just sit and watch.

I agree, but nothing the current coach has done here, or elsewhere, shows me that he is capable of instilling a proud and winning culture.

I see a good deal of validity to the points in this. Obviously, we can't stand to suffer through 2 or 3 losing seasons with a flat or negative trend line and poor recruiting. When we are not landing quality recruits (multiple 3 stars or 4 stars) in each area of critical need each season, we need to change head coaches. Recruiting is the key. Riley has coached long enough in enough different venues and levels to know football. The answer to whether Riley is the right guy or not is going to be answered with signing day in 2016 and 2017. If he can't land a top 20 or better class by 2017, we need to ask him to retire and hire a 'splash' (big name) coach that can utilize Nebraska's remainiing prestige and historic power status (we all must realize this ain't what it used to be!) and turn this around recruiting wise or we are destined to football purgatory.

I think if the losses were just because of the lack of players that fit his system fans would be a lot more forgiving and patience, but 2 of the 3 losses are because of coaching mistakes (byu and Illinois). These mistakes shouldn't happen with a experienced coaching staff like this. With that being said I have calmed down a bit since the Illinois game and am willing to give it until the end of next season. 6-6 this year and a 9 win season next year and I would be content

We've seen two coaches canned here because they only won 9 games a year. Now, we'll be content. 9 wins is the ceiling for Riley and co.

I think if the losses were just because of the lack of players that fit his system fans would be a lot more forgiving and patience, but 2 of the 3 losses are because of coaching mistakes (byu and Illinois). These mistakes shouldn't happen with a experienced coaching staff like this. With that being said I have calmed down a bit since the Illinois game and am willing to give it until the end of next season. 6-6 this year and a 9 win season next year and I would be content

We've seen two coaches canned here because they only won 9 games a year. Now, we'll be content. 9 wins is the ceiling for Riley and co.

I see a difference when it comes to the amount of time granted to a coach as between Frank, Callahan, Bo and now Riley for each. Frank inherited the absolute best team and program and talent in college football history. He had everything going for him from fan support, national reputation, talent, recruiting, etc, etc, etc. He had NO excuses whatsoever. He had a very talented experienced staff, facilities, the only show in town and best fans. No excuses. He simply blew it!

Callahan came in a difficult situation but was not a good fit personality wise. He was a pro football coach and tried to run the program like a professional team. This was not going to work and would not work even today. He recruited well in many respects but he tended to recruit based solely on 'stars ratings' and some of his elite players were not truly elite talents. His biggest mistake was dumping the walk on program (it didn't fit his pro mentality at all). He didn't realize you need to be rebuilding constantly. You could not simply go out and find a few free agent players as needed. You have to plan ahead and keep the next 5 years' teams in the pipeline. Admittedly he started with very little and his best friend/defensive coordinator failed him. He lost the fans with the dramatic change in attitude, schemes, offensive styles, etc. Too much change too fast!

Bo came it with plenty of fan adoration and excitement. He did a number of good things in terms of keeping a minimum of 9 wins so we never really felt we were totally outclassed - talent wise - until the last couple years when the blow outs were becoming self evident and the miracle wins with hail marys and 57 yard field goals were desperately needed to beat teams we had no business allowing to play with us. But all that being said, Bo could have simply kept a good attitude and respected and treated fans with appreciation and given the Husker name and reputation his first priority. He hated the Huskers. He demonstrated his disdain for all things Husker with his rants, ugly language, penalties, etc. We have discussed all this. This was Bo's downfall clearly. He blew it - not so much because he didn't win championships as how he was a loser personally and lost badly too often in addition to recruiting mediocre at best. Every year it gets harder to recruit to Nebraska, new facilities notwithstanding as the competition is tougher, our image and reputation and prestige has been so diminished, etc. Riley has the toughest job of all these coaches in my view. He deserves a chance and some time, no matter how poor our won/loss record is SO LONG AS Riley doesn't act the fool and do awful things to embarrass us nationally on TV. No recruiting or NCAA troubles or obvious unsportsmanlike conduct in the games or badmouthing in TV interviews. He needs to remain professional and decent in all things no matter how good or bad the results are on TV. That gives him more time in my view. He has the biggest job to do of all the recent coaches. Give him a chance. It is not unlimited.

• Fire 1

Callahan had the '05, '06, '07 recruiting classes. The '08 class was poised to be the best class yet before it all fell apart. The other classes were solid, despite a need to rely heavily on JUCOs.

He took over a dilapidated roster far more horrifying than either Pelini or Riley walked into and in a short amount of time, shored that up as much as he could. A very impressive job that left his successor in a good spot.

I would say that many guys out there are better football coaches than Callahan, but there are maybe not nearly as many who could've fixed the talent/roster issue to the degree he did in that short span.

Good perspectives on Bo, Callahan, and Riley though. Riley does have a lot to do, but really, any coach does. Even if the culture is good maintaining it over time is not easy (ask Mack Brown). Every coach has to do everything well to last. The differences are a matter of early gains and how fast they might come.

I see a difference when it comes to the amount of time granted to a coach as between Frank, Callahan, Bo and now Riley for each. Frank inherited the absolute best team and program and talent in college football history. He had everything going for him from fan support, national reputation, talent, recruiting, etc, etc, etc. He had NO excuses whatsoever. He had a very talented experienced staff, facilities, the only show in town and best fans. No excuses. He simply blew it!

Callahan came in a difficult situation but was not a good fit personality wise. He was a pro football coach and tried to run the program like a professional team. This was not going to work and would not work even today. He recruited well in many respects but he tended to recruit based solely on 'stars ratings' and some of his elite players were not truly elite talents. His biggest mistake was dumping the walk on program (it didn't fit his pro mentality at all). He didn't realize you need to be rebuilding constantly. You could not simply go out and find a few free agent players as needed. You have to plan ahead and keep the next 5 years' teams in the pipeline. Admittedly he started with very little and his best friend/defensive coordinator failed him. He lost the fans with the dramatic change in attitude, schemes, offensive styles, etc. Too much change too fast!

Bo came it with plenty of fan adoration and excitement. He did a number of good things in terms of keeping a minimum of 9 wins so we never really felt we were totally outclassed - talent wise - until the last couple years when the blow outs were becoming self evident and the miracle wins with hail marys and 57 yard field goals were desperately needed to beat teams we had no business allowing to play with us. But all that being said, Bo could have simply kept a good attitude and respected and treated fans with appreciation and given the Husker name and reputation his first priority. He hated the Huskers. He demonstrated his disdain for all things Husker with his rants, ugly language, penalties, etc. We have discussed all this. This was Bo's downfall clearly. He blew it - not so much because he didn't win championships as how he was a loser personally and lost badly too often in addition to recruiting mediocre at best. Every year it gets harder to recruit to Nebraska, new facilities notwithstanding as the competition is tougher, our image and reputation and prestige has been so diminished, etc. Riley has the toughest job of all these coaches in my view. He deserves a chance and some time, no matter how poor our won/loss record is SO LONG AS Riley doesn't act the fool and do awful things to embarrass us nationally on TV. No recruiting or NCAA troubles or obvious unsportsmanlike conduct in the games or badmouthing in TV interviews. He needs to remain professional and decent in all things no matter how good or bad the results are on TV. That gives him more time in my view. He has the biggest job to do of all the recent coaches. Give him a chance. It is not unlimited.

That's a fair assessment of things, 84HuskerLaw. I hope for the best, I will root like I always have since about 1978, but I'm not feeling it right now. But, of course, I thought New Coke was a great idea too

I believe that currently 25% of the starters on offense and defense are walkons. Glad the walkon program is keeping players on the field, but 408 really crapped the bed when it came to recruiting. Riley has a great bunch of top players in to visit this weekend, it is a huge start to rebuild the program so we can be competitive again.

We were competitive. Last year and the years prior. We are not now. Just so you know.

Not competitive??? Where ya been bro? We lost 3 games by a total of 9 points. Under 408, we routinely lost games by 30-40 points. A little more competitive this year don't ya think?
are YOU serious? We almost lost to southern miss.
  • Fire 1

I believe that currently 25% of the starters on offense and defense are walkons. Glad the walkon program is keeping players on the field, but 408 really crapped the bed when it came to recruiting. Riley has a great bunch of top players in to visit this weekend, it is a huge start to rebuild the program so we can be competitive again.

We were competitive. Last year and the years prior. We are not now. Just so you know.

Not competitive??? Where ya been bro? We lost 3 games by a total of 9 points. Under 408, we routinely lost games by 30-40 points. A little more competitive this year don't ya think?
are YOU serious? We almost lost to southern miss.
Participation ribbons to all.

You'd have to routinely lose games ( like .500) before you could lose them by 30+.

It's simply more rewriting history to fit a narrative.