Time to bench Tommy and start one of the underclassmen against Minnesota

No.

This.

But I do think some immediate competition for Tommy's job next year is warranted. Whether that comes in the form of a graduate transfer, or JUCO QB, I don't know. But I think Tommy definitely should have his job up for grabs next year with someone who can give us more chances to win games next season.

^ This. If nothing else, lack of legitimate competition to push him does Tommy no favors.

bench for a game no, but if the same issues arise pull him for a few series or a quarter, if it can happen to other players not stepping up then the qb should not be different imo.

Quarterbacks are different. It's your chief decision maker on the field. No other player has the same weight of responsibility. You can replace him, but it has to be a very decisive move.

Playing ring around the rosy with QBs is a sure way to lose games.

Here is the issue. We currently have a car that needs servicing. We take it to a boat mechanic because they both can fix " engines". Although both are similar, they are different enough that one can not get the most out of or repair it properly. Oh, it will "work", but it's half a$$ed and still not correct.

The Huskers are a car engine and Riley is a boat mechanic. Both might be the best, but together, neither one will work right.

NU either needs to get a car mechanic, or wait patiently for 3-5 more years as we get more boats....

Either way, I wouldn't expect any earth shattering improvements the next few years. We might get a winning record, but history shows .536....

.536 is just college. Alltime HC W/L record at all levels, he is 149-150 (.498). In other words, Sub500. That's his new name. As in "While much nicer, Sub500 is a worse coach than 408".

• Fire 1

Tommy is not a senior! Now, I do think if we drop the next one, then it is time to move on to next year by playing all the younger guys. Seniors ride the pine, unless they are NFL draft prospects (if we have any?).

I believe Bill Snyder may have begun the rebuild K State process by doing this. He played the freshman and sophomores and let the older players sit the bench in an effort to build experience for the future. yes, you sacrifice some opportunity for near term wins for long term gain. But, at this point, the near term wins look pretty 'ify'. We have been in this constant state of desperation for years where the focus has always been how do we manage to get another 9th win this year rather than focus on the ultimate goal of becoming a great program with championships in the future. We have been constantly rebuilding and never reloading. Time to recruit and build the depth for the future. If the wins don't start Saturday in Minnesota, then the experience and conversion into the team of the future must begin. We need the players of the future to get experience and more practice reps. Sorry to do this to the seniors who have given their all but it is time to make the commitment to what even those players will someday want to say: Huskers are back and here to stay! Something Bo Pelini bragged about a few years back but failed to keep in mind as he moved forward.

• Fire 1

Tommy is not a senior! Now, I do think if we drop the next one, then it is time to move on to next year by playing all the younger guys. Seniors ride the pine, unless they are NFL draft prospects (if we have any?).

I believe Bill Snyder may have begun the rebuild K State process by doing this. He played the freshman and sophomores and let the older players sit the bench in an effort to build experience for the future. yes, you sacrifice some opportunity for near term wins for long term gain. But, at this point, the near term wins look pretty 'ify'. We have been in this constant state of desperation for years where the focus has always been how do we manage to get another 9th win this year rather than focus on the ultimate goal of becoming a great program with championships in the future. We have been constantly rebuilding and never reloading. Time to recruit and build the depth for the future. If the wins don't start Saturday in Minnesota, then the experience and conversion into the team of the future must begin. We need the players of the future to get experience and more practice reps. Sorry to do this to the seniors who have given their all but it is time to make the commitment to what even those players will someday want to say: Huskers are back and here to stay! Something Bo Pelini bragged about a few years back but failed to keep in mind as he moved forward.

you put the best players on the field and try to win games and go to a bowl........and recruit off your success......if mop up is available that's one thing..........the practice squad is for initial development.

At this point, TA can't hit even swing passes to RBs. Can't hit quick hitters. Great long ball throws but sometimes his receivers bail him out more than it being a great pass.

He is not making correct reads. He has the green light to run, but he chooses to just heave the ball downfield and move on to the next down and distances.

Not saying that the whole offense isn't struggling some, but how can we ever see what else is there unless something is changed at the QB spot?

This team lacks "all in" commitment. You shouldn't see our offense sitting on the benches behind the whole team when your defense is out there trying to save the game. They should be on the sidelines cheering, showing some support to the whole team. They go back, sit along the fence, and act as if they don't care what the defense does. That might go both ways. This team has some serious bonding to do in order to ever win as a team.

What is the story on Darlington, is he looking that bad in practice? He looked like the only QB who was going through progressions during the Spring game, he looked great.

I honestly think this offense is pretty good, if we have a QB who can make those reads, and throw a few more short/high percentage passes. As much as I like Tommy's run threat, we need to get out of 3rd down too many times, and he cannot consistently make the throws, and I cringe every time he throws downfield, it's really just a jump ball, and lately, more often into double coverage.

I'm actually upbeat on this team, the defense is starting to look better. For those who suggested, they lost it on the last drive, that is ridiculous. They did great all game to that point, and were forced to be on the field way too much, by our in ability to convert on offense. I'm surprised it was as close as it was.

The defensive formula is a good one for the Big 10. We are stopping the run, and the secondary is improving. The last two games, were on the offense. The running games is actually looking pretty decent too, we're making 3rd and manageable. Tommy just needs to be able to find the open guy, and make the pitch/catch passes.

• Fire 1

One thing is that was only a spring game, and another is maybe health concerns. Bush was the #2 in Spring and apparently had a very bad fall camp.

Tommy, I love the guy, but he needs to have better feet when he throws. He needs to find ways to not have games like this. There's nobody to push him right now either, and that is not an ideal situation. If Tommy plays like this next year, you bet they'd give a good hard look at the true freshman if he's ready. A JUCO transfer may be warranted for depth at this point, because even the most talented true freshmen usually redshirt, and POB has honestly not played QB for very long, IIRC.