Offense

TA is 21-59 (35.6%) in conference play. We seem to have sporadic success running the ball. Jano is awesome. The receivers seem more than capable. We do not rotate on the OL. What do you recommend? My opinion is that we have to design the offense around TA's running ability ans scrap the WCO. If we have a mediocre offense we win the last two games easily. If the offense does not improve, we may not win another game this year.

It is what it is at this point. You are what you practice, and that mostly comes in the spring and fall camps. To do any major shifting in offensive identity would pretty much result in even worse struggles. I've seen it happen in the NFL with talented professionals.

Yea. There isn't a great deal of practice time during the week to make major changes. But are there some small things we can do? I don't think I have ever seen a QB completing 35% of his passes. And I don't think this is all on TA. MR emphasized the need to take shots downfield before the season started.

Someone said they were at the game and the Wisconsin bench was calling out our plays before the snap. Did anyone else hear this?

No. It was so loud, but nice try...we lost because they played better than we did.

It was in another thread. I was just looking for confirmation. It seemed quiet in the 3rd quarter.

Not before the snap but close...you could hear it on TV. Our misdirection/sweeps are so poorly executed it is really easy to see where we are handing the ball off to and the Wisky bench was seeing the motion coming towards them and calling the play. I said this last week. These plays are sloppy and faked very poorly. Further the high snaps make many of our running plays start in a bad spot. This is just sloppy crap still happening halfway through the season. We still can't snap the ball well. Players or coaching problem...both IMO.

This is an interesting problem. Mavric's going to smile, but I think we have to call on the running game a little more. Even if we aren't getting a lot of yards per pop, it can be steadying at times when the passing game is really off.

Basically, it seems they have to find some way of working around Tommy's inconsistency with some of his throws.

That's not to say you stop throwing. Tommy has shown that despite anything, he can come back and sling it with confidence. However, maybe save some of that for a lot later in the game. Between the designed QB runs, sweeps, inside runs, FB runs, and jet sweeps, that's a lot of foundation to build on if we can just find a way to have it all come together.

I think Tommy was 1/6 in the first quarter, 1/11 in the third, or something like that. Something similar vs BYU, and the first half vs Miami wasn't pretty. Nor was the entire Illinois game. This can't keep happening in tone-setting quarters, so explore the alternatives.

The good news is we do see different things being tried. Well, keep trying them. A run game that can key off itself via the different inside/outside/QB/WR/RB/FB looks, etc, rather than the passing game ... maybe that's the solution. Wouldn't say this if the passing game were simply off, but the consistency issues seem mechanical. That's not going to simply transform.

• Fire 1

still cant snap the ball decent

It's these kinds of details that are hurting us. (I'm also amazed at the consistently poor snaps)
Tommy made some pretty poor throws without anyone's help, but I think a couple of the swing passes he had that were way off were actually a result of the high snap throwing off his rhythm for the play

With this staff, in their system, we are a 2-10 or 4-8 team this year. I'll throw in the injuries and new system excuse, but I don't expect us to compete for anything meaningful under this staff. Maybe when he gets "his guys", we knock off a ranked team, but then lose some game to Some out of conference foe or a team that is as poor as we are now in the B1G. Finish a respectable 7-5 or 8-4 (above his OSU seasons as we have more talent and facilities) and some folks are satisfied as we suffer no blow out losses....

• Fire 1